Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Where to imprison someone

• 09-12-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,781 ✭✭✭ Carawaystick

Seeing as Mick Wallace was jailed today in Limerick prison, having been arrested in Clontarf garda station, where he probably would have passed 3-4 jails on his way to Limerick, what is the policy on where someone is imprisoned?
    It seems a poor use of resources to transfer a prisoner to Limerick from Dublin
    or to jail somebody in a jail further away than their nearest one?

Assuming there's space in the nearer ones...

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Sam Russell

Good question. It is probably the nearest one to the court where he failed to pay the fine.

I thought that Mount Joy was the place that they send people on a bench warrant, but what would I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,333 ✭✭✭✭ seamus

Yeah, it appears that the prison of choice is the one servicing the court where the prisoner has been charged/convicted. I guess it makes sense since any appeals or matters in relation to the case are going to be heard at that court, so your transportation costs are minimised.

Advertisement