Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

consequences of not getting enough protein

Options
  • 08-12-2015 1:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

so I weight around 170lbs and according to the experts one needs around 1g protein per lb of body weight so therefore I need about 170 grams of protein per day. On average I reckon I would be having 100 grams per day. what are the consequences of not taking enough protein when weight training- that the gains wont be as good?

also another question- can you take too much protein at once. I reckon 3/4s of my protein is consumed between 5-10pm. should it ideally be spread out more through the day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

None of it is an exact science. The 1 gram per lb of bodyweight line has most likely been rounded up to make it easy to remember. Also it's probably more beneficial to go over than under. No harm going over.

I don't know how you live your day to day or what you're training for. But from what you've said i think you could probably do with planning your diet a little better. At your weight i think i'd struggle to just hit 100 grams of protein from eating normal food i like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

f140 wrote: »
    so I weight around 170lbs and according to the experts one needs around 1g protein per lb of body weight so therefore I need about 170 grams of protein per day. On average I reckon I would be having 100 grams per day. what are the consequences of not taking enough protein when weight training- that the gains wont be as good?

also another question- can you take too much protein at once. I reckon 3/4s of my protein is consumed between 5-10pm. should it ideally be spread out more through the day?

It's rounded up to 1g but it's 0.82g/lb BW that's considered optimal. You're at 0.59g/lb so it's not optimal but that doesn't mean you're not getting enough.

Spreading it out through the day will also mean increasing the rate of protein synthesis.

So while it's not so much that there are consequences of your current protein intake, yopu would certainly benefit from (a) eating more protein and (b) spreading it out more across the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

by choosing to take just 100g protein you're choosing to take in either more carbs/fats or bit of both to get you up to circa 2,500-3,000cals per day so that just simply throws the balance out of whack which is grand if you're doing an absolute ton of cardio but not great if doing a moderate amount and trying to gain muscle.

Overall is irrelevant if you're simply not consuming enough calories full stop or training in a structured and progressive manner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

You also don't mention whether or not you are dieting...and if you are dieting, with how much of a deficit, all of which will have a different bearing on the consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Is the rule of thumb 1g per lb bodyweight or 1g per lb LEAN body weight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Caliden wrote: »
    Is the rule of thumb 1g per lb bodyweight or 1g per lb LEAN body weight?

Whether you subscribe to it or not. It's supposed to be per your lean weight. So body fat % should be removed from overall weight. If you're quite lean the caloric difference isn't huge. I'm about 8-9 % at the moment and have just changed to a slow bulk. At the moment at 176 pounds it would only be a difference of about 50 odd less calories from protein.

Advertisement