Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stormy Wednesday, Dec 9th-Gusts to 110km likely in NW with up to 35mm of rain also.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Gust of 77kmph just now in south Donegal, lashing out of the heavens too of course.

Edited to add: up to 85 kmph now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Very very heavy rain here in west clare (Surprising looking at the Rainfall Radar)

Met Eireann radar is screwed up since they changed the color scheme, I find Raintoday.co.uk has a much better representation of rain intensity.

That squall line was quite narrow but very intense, stretching the entire length of the country, from Malin Head to Kerry.

I am going to be avoiding some local roads on the way home, they were bad enough with floods before today's rain :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    All quiet in South Dublin so far

Are you kidding?

I just came from a rugby match in landsdowne and I could barely walk back to the car in the wind coming against me. Now just home to Sandyford and bins blown over (even the ones with stuff in them) and was nearly blown under a car at the shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Ok, ok... NOW it looks pretty wet and windy outside - D18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Ok, ok... NOW it looks pretty wet and windy outside - D18

Haha! While you were sleeping ............

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Haha! While you were sleeping ............

No no, conference calls may get dull but I was awake I swear :P

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

ok here is the video I made earlier

I dont know how to embed it

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

You need a / in that second youtube.

yes, just figured it out from a bit of googling

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

monster1 wrote: »
    ok here is the video I made earlier

I dont know how to embed it

You wouldn't put a milk bottle out in that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That squall line just mashed us in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

No any more, tried to walk the dog and found the wreath that went on the door yesterday across the main road at the entrance to the estate. Walked back up to the house to make sure ours was missing before picking it up, on my third run of leaving the estate with the dog I found one of our garden chairs also on the other side of the main road further up and decided to quit.

Really must get the gate fixed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ardfert:Gusting close to 70 kph from 14.00 to 16.30 with heavy squally bursts of rain although amounts not terribly large at 7.6mm

Temperature reached 12.8C and back now to 9.8C

Barometer rising corresponding with the Temp dropping , wind easing, rain light.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

buckets of rain here in Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Squall line impact here in D11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Got of train there in Blanchardstown never seen rain like it, was making it virtually impossible to see ahead. Needless to say I am very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Was driving home through West Cork earlier, about 7.30, and the rain was intense. Squall line passing through I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Look for some pretty squally winds in northern and central parts early tomorrow morning as a shortwave feature passes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just for a bit of context; look at these winds during a ferocious storm around the Aleutian Islands in Alaska over the weekend.

Adak Island airport (6 m amsl)
    METAR PADK 130916Z 24082G106KT 1/2SM OVC013 02/M03 A2815 RMK AO1=

St. George Island (38 m amsl)
    SPECI PAPB 140246Z AUTO 22046G113KT 3SM -SN SQ BKN017 OVC022 03/M01 A2834 RMK AO2 PK WND 250113/0239 RAE01SNB01 PRESRR P0004 T00331006 TSNO $=

METAR PAPB 140253Z AUTO 22061G108KT 200V290 3SM -SN OVC017 03/M01 A2833 RMK AO2 PK WND 250113/0239 RAE01SNB01 SLP582 P0009 60018 T00331006 53048 TSNO $=

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gust 113knots hahaha. Like to see an aircraft land in that, especially if its a crosswind!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Gust 113knots hahaha. Like to see an aircraft land in that, especially if its a crosswind!

Not going to happen, anything other than nose into wind would be downright dangerous, with a real risk of crew being thrown out of doors when trying to open them (among other problems, like actually keeping the aircraft on the ground) , even if they could get off the runway and on to a stand safely, which in those winds is pretty much impossible.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not going to happen, anything other than nose into wind would be downright dangerous, with a real risk of crew being thrown out of doors when trying to open them (among other problems, like actually keeping the aircraft on the ground) , even if they could get off the runway and on to a stand safely, which in those winds is pretty much impossible.

I know alright :P, a 67knot gusting direct headwind caused an aircraft to divert from Shannon recently.

Those stobarts start to take off by themselves at 80knot gusts!

Advertisement