Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary Anderson says he deliberately lost to Adrian Lewis in 2011

Options
  • 07-12-2015 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/sport/darts/35024363
    World champion Gary Anderson has revealed he deliberately lost a Premier League match against Adrian Lewis at Glasgow's SECC in 2011.

Scot Anderson, 44, led the match 3-0 but, with Lewis suffering "disgraceful" abuse, allowed the Englishman to reel off eight legs in a row to secure an 8-3 victory.

When asked if he intentionally lost, Anderson told BBC Scotland: "Yes.

"I didn't want to win a game where that happened; I thought it was a disgrace."

I thought as much.

I remember watching this well along with my brother. We could see How pissed off Anderson was getting, embarrassed by his own countrymen. When he was so far ahead and started losing leg after leg we became suspicious about what was happening. I remember saying that it was like he was trying to teach the fans a lesson.

Fair play to him I say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Its still match fixing! What if he made a bet against himself during the break?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Fiskar wrote: »
    Its still match fixing! What if he made a bet against himself during the break?

Did you watch the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Any links to that game footage?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Hold on, if he's actually admitted to throwing a game, for whatever reason, he should get sanctioned. That's a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Cannot recall it but did he not lose in similar fashion just 2 to 3 weeks ago to MVG when 1 leg from victory, I could not believe a professional like that could let that match go.

• Advertisement

Fiskar wrote: »
    Cannot recall it but did he not lose in similar fashion just 2 to 3 weeks ago to MVG when 1 leg from victory, I could not believe a professional like that could let that match go.

It happens quite a lot in darts, one players form suddenly drops and the other goes on a surge. Wade has been on the wrong end of it a few times. Take a look at the Phil Nixon v Martin Adams Lakeside final as one of the most extreme examples you could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I love Anderson and can understand why he felt like doing something like that.

However if he was serious in that interview then it's disgraceful and bringing the sport into disrepute. People had bets on that game, you can't just throw matches whenever you feel like it.

He should be punished for that, hefty fine and knock it off his order of merit total so he loses ground in the rankings as well.

mdwexford wrote: »
    I love Anderson and can understand why he felt like doing something like that.

However if he was serious in that interview then it's disgraceful and bringing the sport into disrepute. People had bets on that game, you can't just throw matches whenever you feel like it.

He should be punished for that, hefty fine and knock it off his order of merit total so he loses ground in the rankings as well.

It was 2011 and Premier League doesn't count towards order of merit.

I have no doubt whatsoever that this is already common knowledge within the PDC so I'd be very surprised if they did something about it now.

It was 2011 and Premier League doesn't count towards order of merit.

I have no doubt whatsoever that this is already common knowledge within the PDC so I'd be very surprised if they did something about it now.

I know both of those things.

If they did and did nothing its a fcuking shambles. If Ronnie O'Sullivan or Novak Djokovic came out and said they lost a match on purpose because the crowd reactions weren't to their liking there would be war and severe repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Better course of action may have been to walk off the stage, would that have stoked up the crowd though?

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    I know both of those things.

If they did and did nothing its a fcuking shambles. If Ronnie O'Sullivan or Novak Djokovic came out and said they lost a match on purpose because the crowd reactions weren't to their liking there would be war and severe repercussions.

But this is Darts, more specifically it's the PDC and it's Barry Hearn. He's not going to want to create a ****storm around the Anderson going into the World Championships. My guess is that they will say nothing and hope it blows over.

But this is Darts, more specifically it's the PDC and it's Barry Hearn. He's not going to want to create a ****storm around the Anderson going into the World Championships. My guess is that they will say nothing and hope it blows over.

That would be what I'd bet on happening as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

Anderson is a funny one,with he's false pretence smiling and he's head bowing.all just a cover as the say the seeding scots man as was proven when Barney beat him in the premier league earlier in the year,stepping back and accusing Barney if all sorts,rubbish man as mardle would say :)

So now Anderson and the PDC are trying to claim that he didn't say he lost the match on purpose and that his comments were misconstrued:
    I didn’t answer that question as I meant to. I would never intentionally lose a match, nor step on to the oche to give anything other than my best. But that night I thought the crowd behavior was so disgraceful I lost all my motivation to win and was completely unable to concentrate.

It wasn’t a question of not wanting to win, I just found myself without the ability to do so because I felt so ashamed of what was happening I could not focus at all on playing.

Now just in case you didn't watch the video in the OP, here is a transcript of the relevant section:

BBC Reporter Tom English: "You were leading that match?

Gary Anderson: uh huh...

English: Was it 3 or four nohing?

Anderson: I was, 3-1 up or 4-1 up I think:

English: Em.. And you lost?

Anderson: Yeah.

English: Did you lose deliberately?

Anderson: Yeah.

English: Did you?

Anderson: Yeah. I didn't want to win. I didn't want to win a game that that happened in, simple as that.

English: Out of support for Adrian Lewis?

Anderson: Yeah, yeah. I thought it was a disgrace to be quite honest.

So despite that very clear and unambiguous admission that he threw the match, Anderson and the PDC PR machine are trying to basically deny he said it even though it was on camera. Here's what the PDC had to say:
    Although we can see how Gary’s comments may have been misconstrued, we have confidence in the integrity of Gary and all our players – and would not want a slip in an interview to undermine this.

It's hard to have respect for Anderson now after reading that. He is lying through his teeth to save himself and the PDC are backing him all the way.

Here's the full article, it's from the Daily Record so naturally it's very biased towards Anderson:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/other-sports/darts/world-champion-gary-anderson-defends-6971731

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Quite clearly trying to cover himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's such a stupid thing for him to admit to. He should have just kept quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

I wonder what james wade thinks...he finsihed 1 point behind lewis that year.

Would have been a nice bit of cash that anderson cost him that year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

This sounds like an overreaction, but I've honestly lost all respect for Gary after hearing that, he's pathetic attempt to back track makes it worse.

I hope he never wins a game again.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    This sounds like an overreaction, but I've honestly lost all respect for Gary after hearing that, he's pathetic attempt to back track makes it worse.

It is.

It is.

Great contributions there.. So you're OK with players losing games on purpose. It's a professional game that encourages people to bet on it. Joke.

• Advertisement

Great contributions there.. So you're OK with players losing games on purpose. It's a professional game that encourages people to bet on it. Joke.

I never said i was ok with it which is pretty obvious from my other posts, your post is an overreaction and to be honest a bit ridiculous.

If you bet on anything you are taking a risk on a number of intangibles with the darts lads..they often turn up ill/Tired and emotional/to many lemonades constantly as they dont get paid if they dont play but we never here of it until mardle starts wailing...its poor form but thats the way it is.

I never said i was ok with it which is pretty obvious from my other posts, your post is an overreaction and to be honest a bit ridiculous.

If you bet on anything you are taking a risk on a number of intangibles with the darts lads..they often turn up ill/Tired and emotional/to many lemonades constantly as they dont get paid if they dont play but we never here of it until mardle starts wailing...its poor form but thats the way it is.

That's the way it is? We just have to accept that players can throw games when they feel like it? Your post is the ridiculous one here I'm afraid.

That's the way it is? We just have to accept that players can throw games when they feel like it? Your post is the ridiculous one here I'm afraid.

You need to seperate the two im afraid, again i NEVERsaid its ok to throw the game.. i NEVER said this.

You brought people betting on the game into it, im simply saying its always a risk when punting.

You need to seperate the two im afraid, again i NEVERsaid its ok to throw the game.. i NEVER said this.

You brought people betting on the game into it, im simply saying its always a risk when punting.

You said "that's just the way it is" and basically told me to get over it. As a previous poster said, imagine it was a top tennis or golf player.

Gary should get a lengthy ban for it, it's absolutely disgraceful.

You said "that's just the way it is" and basically told me to get over it. As a previous poster said, imagine it was a top tennis or golf player.

Gary should get a lengthy ban for it, it's absolutely disgraceful.

I replied to your own ascertion that your post was an overreaction as imo it was. your the one jumping from that to me trying to make out im saying its perfectly fine what anderson did.

lets be clear .. .IM NOT SAYING ITS ACCEPTABLE FOR PEOPLE TO THROW MATCHES

My point about gambling and the inherent risks when relying on people when you never know whats going on in their heads/lives stands.

vj17r.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

The one I feel sorry is Devastator. He needed Anderson to bring up his accumulator that night.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I like Anderson but that was a silly thing to admit to so what happens if he's in the final this year and the crowd is booing and heckling his opponent is he going to throw the final of the world championships?

Because if he doesn't he's going against his own morals and making a mockery of the premier league and every fan that's attended a premier league event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

lads read the full article before jumping on the bandwagon
    most of you have only read a few sentences

anybody would have done the same if there mate was been treated the same
    get off the stage as quick as possible

• Advertisement

sc86 wrote: »
    lads read the full article before jumping on the bandwagon
    most of you have only read a few sentences

anybody would have done the same if there mate was been treated the same
    get off the stage as quick as possible

I'd imagine most of us saw the match live.

No, they wouldn't.

Don't talk nonsense.

Advertisement