Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vitamin B12 deficiency effects on Strength/resistance training.

Options
  • 07-12-2015 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey guys,

So I recently found out that my family has a history of b12 deficiency. I am in the process of scheduling blood tests, but from the sounds of the symptoms, it appears I have it too.

Over the past year, I've noticed I'm fatiguing in the gym a lot quicker. Joints are becoming more prone to pain, weight isn't coming up as easily etc.

My diet has been pretty good - I had previously done low carb to great results, but this year reintroduced good carbs to bulk up somewhat.

I'm 27, around 94kg, about 16% BF at the moment, which is about 2% higher than normal. I'm regularly active outside the gym, get plenty of sleep etc.

So my real question is - have you trained with a B12 deficiency & noticed that pre & post treatment has had an impact?

Or perhaps a PT that has seen it in a client?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Not being deficient will definitely have an impact, it's a serious deficiency. Many people have to supplement, especially as you get older, because they simply can not absorb enough B12 from any diet. I would work on it with the doctor and get your levels up if you are deficient. Note the normal test sometimes gives inaccurate results as it tests blood serum levels and is affected by recent intake, illness, medication etc. Methylmalonic acid is the best test AFAIK. You can do a schilling test to see why you are deficient if you are.

Advertisement