Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Number26 launching free mobile-first bank account in Ireland (Revolut alternative)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭mel123

sorry to go a bit off topic, does anyone know if you can have a prepaid type card and top it up in shops/post offices that kind of thing?
    im thinking no, because of money laundering etc, but just wondering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Might be a silly question - are there any quaterly fees/stamp duty type taxes or any other general fees with having this account?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

mel123 wrote: »
    sorry to go a bit off topic, does anyone know if you can have a prepaid type card and top it up in shops/post offices that kind of thing?
    im thinking no, because of money laundering etc, but just wondering?

Maybe something like 3V is what your looking for?

https://www.3v.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Seems like you don't need to use an ATM to set the pin.
    I set the pin in the app, transferred 20 quid from TSB just for testing.

Got the card in the post today, went straight into town and it worked!

(Proof of no ATM)

That is most likely because the vendor you used has a terminal that support online pin validation.

From what I can see the card is coded as COUNTRY = Ireland and the CVM settings are

online pin
    offline pin
    unencrypted pin
    signature

That means the first time you use your card with the PIN you set in a machine that does online PIN it will work, if you do it at an machine that does not support online pin it won't work. Which is why the advise is to use an ATM because they always does online PIN and write the PIN onto the CHIP so that you can use it at terminals which do not do online PIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭DrJFF

Before going shopping with the card in Ireland make sure that you go to an ATM and withdraw cash.

Due to the way the card is coded a visit to the ATam is needed so that the PIN you did choose is written to the card and you are able to use Irish POS systems which want offline PIN.

Also if you ever change your PIN online, see an ATM afterwards.

hi what date did you complete your registration for the card? I'm just wondering how long it took to come!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

BTW I couldn't verify my ID because the front of my passport is worn. So it's not actually possible for me to avail of this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭DrJFF

djmarkus wrote: »
    BTW I couldn't verify my ID because the front of my passport is worn. So it's not actually possible for me to avail of this service.

My passport is very worn and I was still able to register. You can't see the harp or anything on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭NeverWaining

djmarkus wrote: »

Are the front of Irish passports distinct from each other? I don't think they are.

I had to remove a sticker from the front of mine for them. It was a pain in the ass and took a few minutes with them waiting. If I had had somebody else's Irish passport to hand I would probably have just shown them the front of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mrmcq2u

Got mine in the post today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

anyone else think the ID verification was creepy ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Rockin

Very efficient but a little odd. Never done anything like it before !
    Much more secure than emailing a PDF to AIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mrmcq2u

Rockin wrote: »
    Very efficient but a little odd. Never done anything like it before !
    Much more secure than emailing a PDF to AIB!

I did find it surprising when they switched to front facing camera and then told me after the fact that they would switch to front facing camera. Lol.

Assumed I would need to do that for them. Lucky I was wearing pants, lol.

Other than that I didn't really find it that creapy, I would actually prefer if we had a proper national id card now so it wouldn't be a requirement to give hard copies of bank statements and utility bills to third parties just to do something like confirm address.

Had to renew my lerners permit a day or two later. The amount of hoops you need to jump through in order to sort it out is just magnified now by how much faster and easier it is to open up a bank account in another country.

Will be interesting to see if digital wallets on android and ios etc will cut down the time to get fully up and running in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Nollog

On the page with my picture and everything else.

My card came today too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Card came today.

Transferred money from PTSB to Number 26 at 11:00 AM this morning and it got into my Number 26 account at 4:00 PM. I'm told PTSB now do 4 outgoing SEPA batches per day.

Card works at ATM's and in stores. No issues.

Has anyone switched their direct debits yet? I am going to gradually manually switch my direct debits over starting with Allianz. I will post if I encounter any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

JTMan wrote: »
    Card came today.

Transferred money from PTSB to Number 26 at 11:00 AM this morning and it got into my Number 26 account at 4:00 PM. I'm told PTSB now do 4 outgoing SEPA batches per day.

Card works at ATM's and in stores. No issues.

Has anyone switched their direct debits yet? I am going to gradually manually switch my direct debits over starting with Allianz. I will post if I encounter any issues.

Just tried with Meteor.......... the staff members response "Whats Number26, not it can't be done sorry"

The Meteor SEPA direct debit mandate is here.

Meteor have a SEPA page on their website here also which seems to indicate that they support SEPA DD's.

I suggest you complete the paper form.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭dunworth1

mel123 wrote:
    sorry to go a bit off topic, does anyone know if you can have a prepaid type card and top it up in shops/post offices that kind of thing? im thinking no, because of money laundering etc, but just wondering?

Google the 3 money card think it's exactly what you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Card came today, working fine. So far Number26 is a win on many levels.

I have found that a few websites won't accept the German IBAN for a standard SEPA DD, probably just set in their old ways :rolleyes:

Also, the Hertz website is seeing the Number26 Mastercard as a Debit, not Credit.

The card itself doesn't say Debit anywhere on it.

• Advertisement

Savman wrote: »
    Card came today, working fine. So far Number26 is a win on many levels.

I have found that a few websites won't accept the German IBAN for a standard SEPA DD, probably just set in their old ways :rolleyes:

I learned that for direct debits from non Irish accounts they can request written instructions from you rather than online. So my advise is to ask them for a paper mandate and send it back.

I'm down to my last 2 vendors not wanting to take non Irish accounts. Energia just got my written instructions so let's see how that works and GloHealth confirmed my complaint and is working on the last response I require for a complaint to the central bank.

I learned that for direct debits from non Irish accounts they can request written instructions from you rather than online. So my advise is to ask them for a paper mandate and send it back.

I'm down to my last 2 vendors not wanting to take non Irish accounts. Energia just got my written instructions so let's see how that works and GloHealth confirmed my complaint and is working on the last response I require for a complaint to the central bank.
    One company is Sky TV, when you try to change DD online it says:
    IBAN is incorrect

It could be just a software related glitch because it doesn't understand an Irish customer with an IBAN that starts with DE, but isn't that the whole bloody point of SEPA?!

Anytime I've dealt with Sky before it's usually a call to premium rate number and they purposely leave you waiting 15+ minutes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This looks very appealing on a few levels for me. So your MasterCard is essentially treated as a credit card in credit, would that be right? So say you are booking something online, you would select "credit card" to proceed? Some vendors impose a charge for this...

Also, can any users confirm how close the rate they offer on currency exchanges is to the market rate? (their t&c's claim they use the MasterCard daily rate with no extra charge or commission). Has anyone ever done a direct comparison of, say, a euro to gbp transfer with both number26 and transferwise to see which gets a better amount received at the end?

I understand that they don't take deposits in Sterling or any other foreign currency? This renders the service no good for me.

On that note, can anyone explain what would happen in the following situation:

You buy something from the UK (amazon, eBay, independent store, etc) in £s using your Number26 card and for whatever reason require a refund (most insist on refunding to the same card). Will the Sterling refund be accepted by Number26?

Savman wrote: »
    One company is Sky TV, when you try to change DD online it says:
    IBAN is incorrect

It could be just a software related glitch because it doesn't understand an Irish customer with an IBAN that starts with DE, but isn't that the whole bloody point of SEPA?!

Anytime I've dealt with Sky before it's usually a call to premium rate number and they purposely leave you waiting 15+ minutes :rolleyes:

Yes, it is the whole point of SEPA.

You can use the Boards.ie Talk to Sky forum to request a callback.

Sky are breaking the law if they do not accept a non-Irish SEPA zone direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Neil3030 wrote: »
    This looks very appealing on a few levels for me. So your MasterCard is essentially treated as a credit card in credit, would that be right? So say you are booking something online, you would select "credit card" to proceed? Some vendors impose a charge for this...

Also, can any users confirm how close the rate they offer on currency exchanges is to the market rate? (their t&c's claim they use the MasterCard daily rate with no extra charge or commission). Has anyone ever done a direct comparison of, say, a euro to gbp transfer with both number26 and transferwise to see which gets a better amount received at the end?

Just checked and at time of posting, transferwise are offering a rate of .7276 eur->gbp (minus commission) while MasterCard's live rate is .7209.

Given that tw charge approx 5eur per 1000eur commission on transfers over eur100, they would actually be better value here. Eur1000 sent with tw gets £723.93 with tw, vs. £720.90 with the MasterCard rate.

I'll check again tomorrow during trading hours and see if this makes a diff.

I understand that they don't take deposits in Sterling or any other foreign currency? This renders the service no good for me.

On that note, can anyone explain what would happen in the following situation:

You buy something from the UK (amazon, eBay, independent store, etc) in £s using your Number26 card and for whatever reason require a refund (most insist on refunding to the same card). Will the Sterling refund be accepted by Number26?

The same will happen as with any credit card, they will take the refund in whatever currency the refund is issued, convert it to Euro with the exchange rate applicable of the day of value. So unless the amazon issue a refund with the same date as the charge you will always have a different Euro amount.

That is unless you did choose to have amazon do the charge in € at their horrendous rate.

Revolut might be better suitable for Amazon shopping for you but in the end you will always have a currency difference with Amazon refunds, no matter what payment method you use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

As with others, my card arrived today too. Looks excellent. Great service so far

The same will happen as with any credit card, they will take the refund in whatever currency the refund is issued, convert it to Euro with the exchange rate applicable of the day of value.

If this is the case, why don't they do this with deposits?

They state:
    Transfers in foreign currencies to your NUMBER26 account, however, are not possible yet and will be rejected. Please only transfer Euros to your NUMBER26 account.

I'm not asking the question solely for myself. I think most people in here purchase good from the UK every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

MasterCard look after the conversion on POS transactions, not Number26. Same happens on refunds

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement