Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Bumper Plates

Options
  • 06-12-2015 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking to buy a set of bumper plates, just wondering if anyone has any experience with the black or colour bumper plates from D8 Fitness, or Irish lifting, or fitness equipment Ireland.

It's hard to find any reviews/info online for the bumpers from any of these companies so if anyone has them it'd be great to get feedback about the quality of these bumpers, how loud they are when they're dropped, what the bounce in them is like, etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Have colour and black from D8.

If you can get they thinner, denser rubber plates do.

The plates I have from D8 in order of perference:

black dense bumpers (they're the old exertrain plates)
    colour bumpers
    thick black york bumpers

How much are you lifting, and on what lifts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Hanley wrote: »
    Have colour and black from D8.

If you can get they thinner, denser rubber plates do.

The plates I have from D8 in order of perference:

black dense bumpers (they're the old exertrain plates)
    colour bumpers
    thick black york bumpers

How much are you lifting, and on what lifts?

Up to now I've only done static lifts, but the reason I'm getting bumpers is I want to start Olympic weightlifting next year.

The only time I'll be dropping the bumpers is on the oly movements, and occasionly on squats and deadlifts. At the moment my 1RMs for those are 150kg and 200kg respectively, so that's the most I'd be dropping if I did. I'd imagine the weights I'll be putting up on the oly lifts will be low enough for a good while. I'll be training 5 days a week or so.

I was leaning towards the colour bumpers at d8 because the 150kg set is the same price as the black set at the same weight.

Since you seem to have a good bit of stuff from d8, any chance you've used the elite weightlifting bar they have?

Thanks.

Aspiring wrote: »
    Up to now I've only done static lifts, but the reason I'm getting bumpers is I want to start Olympic weightlifting next year.

The only time I'll be dropping the bumpers is on the oly movements, and occasionly on squats and deadlifts. At the moment my 1RMs for those are 150kg and 200kg respectively, so that's the most I'd be dropping if I did. I'd imagine the weights I'll be putting up on the oly lifts will be low enough for a good while. I'll be training 5 days a week or so.

I was leaning towards the colour bumpers at d8 because the 150kg set is the same price as the black set at the same weight.

Since you seem to have a good bit of stuff from d8, any chance you've used the elite weightlifting bar they have?

Thanks.

Yup, have 2 of em.

Had up to 240kg on it for squats, and 270+kg on it for deadlifts and they held up well.

Decent spin on em too so they'd be an nice bar to weightlift with.

When you get them, just don't drop the bar wit the 5kg plates on. They're too thing and will fall apart if you do. Make sure you've at least got 10kg plates on the bar if dropping

Yup, have 2 of em.

Had up to 240kg on it for squats, and 270+kg on it for deadlifts and they held up well.

Decent spin on em too so they'd be an nice bar to weightlift with.

When you get them, just don't drop the bar wit the 5kg plates on. They're too thing and will fall apart if you do. Make sure you've at least got 10kg plates on the bar if dropping

Cheers Hanley it's near impossible to get any sort of info on these bars online. Have you dropped the bar from height with any decent weight on it? I'll probably do the stall mats and plywood lifting platform but don't really know what kind of weight you can get away with dropping from overhead with these bars.

Cheers Hanley it's near impossible to get any sort of info on these bars online. Have you dropped the bar from height with any decent weight on it? I'll probably do the stall mats and plywood lifting platform but don't really know what kind of weight you can get away with dropping from overhead with these bars.

Nope.
    Ask mark in d8. He's usually fairly sound about telling you what a bar will and Won't stand up to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

I am about to buy plates and build a platform myself but live in rented accommodation...
    Will dropping weights on a platform damage concrete underneath? I wouldn't mind if it was my on place

JesusRef wrote: »
    I am about to buy plates and build a platform myself but live in rented accommodation...
    Will dropping weights on a platform damage concrete underneath? I wouldn't mind if it was my on place

If it's poured concrete, and it's well done, no - it shouldn't.

Add an extra layer of plywood and rubber if in doubt.

If it's poured concrete, and it's well done, no - it shouldn't.

Add an extra layer of plywood and rubber if in doubt.

Cool thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Robert T

I've purchased equipment (including black bumpers) from both D8 Fitness and Fitness Equipment Ireland. I think the black bumpers were the same width from both places but I would never deal with Fitness Equipment Ireland and found D8 to have brilliant customer service.

Robert T wrote: »
    I've purchased equipment (including black bumpers) from both D8 Fitness and Fitness Equipment Ireland. I think the black bumpers were the same width from both places but I would never deal with Fitness Equipment Ireland and found D8 to have brilliant customer service.

I was just about to buy bumpers from fitness equipment ireland - you would not recommend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Robert T

I was just about to buy bumpers from fitness equipment ireland - you would not recommend?

I had a very poor customer service experience after I purchased some products with them in December of last year. They did apologize for their initial responses but if I was to go back and do it again I would just have bought everything from D8 Fitness. As I said, they did apologize for their stance so perhaps you will have a better experience with them.

I have the black set from D8 and find it good. I havent given the plates much use but they seem to be the same as the ones you'd see in gyms and such. High quality. Also found yer man from D8, Mark, was good to deal with. I would highly recommend them, personally.

Also, for those DIYing it at home, and dropping things, buy these:

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/rolson-6-piece-floor-mat-set-120-x-180cm

You can search high and low and you won't get the same product at that price (or anywhere near it) online or in any store. I'm planning to panic-buy them in the new year as I know i'll use them eventually (have a shed that'll need a floor, might not need to actually use them for a year or two but i'll happily let them sit in a shed and wait it out than risk paying over twice the price if halfords decide to stop carrying them) Great product.

EDIT: Take into consideration that you may need to double them up (or even triple layer them) if you're banging weights around. They can be slightly spongy if you keep layering them, so probably best to buy a set for just having under the weights (but not under your feet) or do a large area, and then just double/triple up where the weights will land).

Then buy a set to put in the boot of your car. And a set to use as knee pads when you're doing DIY.. and a set for when you're in the garden, and a set for working on the car. Just generally buy loads of them, and then sell them to me on adverts for half the price you paid in a month or two :P :D

I have the black set from D8 and find it good. I havent given the plates much use but they seem to be the same as the ones you'd see in gyms and such. High quality. Also found yer man from D8, Mark, was good to deal with. I would highly recommend them, personally.

Also, for those DIYing it at home, and dropping things, buy these:

http://www.halfords.ie/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/rolson-6-piece-floor-mat-set-120-x-180cm

You can search high and low and you won't get the same product at that price (or anywhere near it) online or in any store. I'm planning to panic-buy them in the new year as I know i'll use them eventually (have a shed that'll need a floor, might not need to actually use them for a year or two but i'll happily let them sit in a shed and wait it out than risk paying over twice the price if halfords decide to stop carrying them) Great product.

EDIT: Take into consideration that you may need to double them up (or even triple layer them) if you're banging weights around. They can be slightly spongy if you keep layering them, so probably best to buy a set for just having under the weights (but not under your feet) or do a large area, and then just double/triple up where the weights will land).

Then buy a set to put in the boot of your car. And a set to use as knee pads when you're doing DIY.. and a set for when you're in the garden, and a set for working on the car. Just generally buy loads of them, and then sell them to me on adverts for half the price you paid in a month or two :P :D

Would they be thick enough for dropping bumpers on? I had decided on getting a 6' x 4' 18mm thick rubber stall mat and cutting it in two to put it either side of a 8' x 6' lifting platform. Costs around 40 euro locally. Most of the advice online seems to be to go for these stall mats. What thickness are those mats you linked (couldn't find it on the page), and are they rubber?

Another issue you mentioned with those is the sponginess of them, whereas with the stall mats they're (supposedly) much more solid.

Would they be thick enough for dropping bumpers on? I had decided on getting a 6' x 4' 18mm thick rubber stall mat and cutting it in two to put it either side of a 8' x 6' lifting platform. Costs around 40 euro locally. Most of the advice online seems to be to go for these stall mats. What thickness are those mats you linked (couldn't find it on the page), and are they rubber?

Another issue you mentioned with those is the sponginess of them, whereas with the stall mats they're (supposedly) much more solid.

I'm not sure what the material actually is, to be honest. If I look for similar product on Amazon, it says 'foam'.

It could be me mistaking the physics of it all, but if you buy a 'solid' rubber mat, then wont the shock of the plates landing go straight through to the floor? Ideally you want something with a bit of sponge on it, as that's what will absorb the shock (therefore 'deadening' it before it vibrates through to the actual floor)?

I'm no expert, but I'd imaging a 'solid' mat isnt going to do much protection from heavy slams/drops?

I'm not sure of their thickness, but I'd say they're not far off 18mm, either. Perhaps a tad thinner.

If it was me, I'd buy a set to lay out a 'floor'/'platform' (so youre standing on a single mat). Then I'd buy another set and double or triple layer just under where the plates will land.

I've posted my own little home gym pics in here before, but the floor here is entirely made up of these mats (and you look closely, the dumbbells are sitting on a double layer, and there's an open pack against the wall behidn the dumbbells).

IMG_4311_1.jpg

If you pop into a halfords they usually have a few boxes on display. Worth a look anyway, in my opinion.

EDIT: I just want to chime in and also say that I'm no weight lifting expert and didn't look into weight lifting platforms or anything. Just stuck with what I know (I've had those mats for years, albeit under different brand names, like York (Fitness) and DeWalt (DIY crowd), but they were always the same exact product.

I was going to go for the stall mat as well - are the 40 quid? I was expecting them to be more!

I'm not sure what the material actually is, to be honest. If I look for similar product on Amazon, it says 'foam'.

It could be me mistaking the physics of it all, but if you buy a 'solid' rubber mat, then wont the shock of the plates landing go straight through to the floor? Ideally you want something with a bit of sponge on it, as that's what will absorb the shock (therefore 'deadening' it before it vibrates through to the actual floor)?

I'm no expert, but I'd imaging a 'solid' mat isnt going to do much protection from heavy slams/drops?

I'm not sure of their thickness, but I'd say they're not far off 18mm, either. Perhaps a tad thinner.

If it was me, I'd buy a set to lay out a 'floor'/'platform' (so youre standing on a single mat). Then I'd buy another set and double or triple layer just under where the plates will land.

I've posted my own little home gym pics in here before, but the floor here is entirely made up of these mats (and you look closely, the dumbbells are sitting on a double layer, and there's an open pack against the wall behidn the dumbbells).

IMG_4311_1.jpg

If you pop into a halfords they usually have a few boxes on display. Worth a look anyway, in my opinion.

EDIT: I just want to chime in and also say that I'm no weight lifting expert and didn't look into weight lifting platforms or anything. Just stuck with what I know (I've had those mats for years, albeit under different brand names, like York (Fitness) and DeWalt (DIY crowd), but they were always the same exact product.

Nice! My set up won't be a patch on that...

I went with D8 in the finish as well - cheers for the advice here

I was going to go for the stall mat as well - are the 40 quid? I was expecting them to be more!

I've sourced a 6x4 18mm mat for ~40 euro locally anyway. You might find them even cheaper in your area if you look around, look at places that supply equipment for stables.

D8 sell some really nice 1x1m mats that are cost equivalent to the stall mats and much easier to keep clean as far as i remember.

I'd avoid those soft foam tiles for fitting out a full gym as they'll get dents and wear badly with weight / foot traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Anyone use McSport for buying plates? I find D8 to be far too expensive. Have been using Irish lifting (who are the cheapest) but they have stopped selling 1" plates and I need both 1" and 2" plates and bars.

hadoken13 wrote: »
    Anyone use McSport for buying plates? I find D8 to be far too expensive. Have been using Irish lifting (who are the cheapest) but they have stopped selling 1" plates and I need both 1" and 2" plates and bars.

There's something wrong here... You're saying D8, probably the best value equipment supplier in Ireland, is too expensive.

So instead you're gonna use McSport. One of the most expensive suppliers in Ireland?

I don't know if D8 sell 1in plates, but their stuff is extremely competitive against anyone else in my experience.

• Advertisement

Just from my experience D8 processed the order and delivered very quickly, their package included 150 kg of bumper plates (alot of the others were 140kg)
    The 5kg plates are also comparable in makeup to the other bigger plates (not the soft ones that bend under the weight of the bar when resting on the ground)

Delighted with the purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭hadoken13

Maybe I'm not comparing like for like so perhaps you could clear things up for me. I just did a quick search for Olympic bars (6") and one on McSport was €71 and the one on D8 was €150. I couldn't find tri-grip plates on D8 so I was comparing bumper plates to tri-grip plates, thinking they were comparable. Now that I have compared like for like i.e. bumper to bumper D8 does indeed come out cheaper.

I was mainly using McSport to complete my sets of tri-grip weights. I have 15kg Olympic and 15kg standard plates that aren't in pairs and now that Irish Lifting have stopped selling standard plates I wanted to buy both of these together from McSport rather than going for new bumpers (which I will do when my pairs are complete).

The bar I was checking out on McSport was 6" Chrome Olympic Bar - would this be of any use? I don't lift that much - only starting back again after knee and shoulder injuries.

The one on D8 was Elite 6". Would this be worth double the price of the other one?

Or the Olympic bar on Irishlifting which is €109.

I already have a 6" bar at home although this is over 15 years old.

There's something wrong here... You're saying D8, probably the best value equipment supplier in Ireland, is too expensive.

So instead you're gonna use McSport. One of the most expensive suppliers in Ireland?

I don't know if D8 sell 1in plates, but their stuff is extremely competitive against anyone else in my experience.

hadoken13 wrote: »
    The bar I was checking out on McSport was 6" Chrome Olympic Bar - would this be of any use? I don't lift that much - only starting back again after knee and shoulder injuries.

The one on D8 was Elite 6". Would this be worth double the price of the other one?

Just to further complicate things for you, you can get a 6' Olympic Bar on Strength & Fitness Supplies for €80.

Advertisement