Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tailgating

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know a man that had a tailgater behind him, he kept him behind for miles then he said to his wife fcuk it I better pull in and let him off. Your man took off like a rocket in a rage, the next bend they went round a Garda had him pulled over for speeding :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 266 ✭✭Clive Bisquette

Tailgating goes on over the whole country not confined to any one part..

Excellent observation Mal..but point the poster was making is that it is MORE PREVALENT in NI and Donegal than other parts.

Wouldn't be much point in creating a thread saying that "tailgating goes on over the whole country" now would there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

Excellent observation Mal..but point the poster was making is that it is MORE PREVALENT in NI and Donegal than other parts.

Wouldn't be much point in creating a thread saying that "tailgating goes on over the whole country" now would there ?

But I am from Donegal and would disagree I would say the tail gating in Dublin/wicklow is alot worse but guess alot of extra traffic would do that also..

But I am from Donegal and would disagree I would say the tail gating in Dublin/wicklow is alot worse but guess alot of extra traffic would do that also..

I guess it boils down to a definition of tailgating..if you are stuck on the Merrion Road inevitably cars will be driving close behind you.

What gets up most drivers nose is if your driving on a regional Road at around the speed limit and a scrote swoops up behind you and tries to intimidate you into going faster.

Lotta that in Donegal mate ...and most other posters seem to support that opinion.

I guess it boils down to a definition of tailgating..if you are stuck on the Merrion Road inevitably cars will be driving close behind you.

What gets up most drivers nose is if your driving on a regional Road at around the speed limit and a scrote swoops up behind you and tries to intimidate you into going faster.

Lotta that in Donegal mate ...and most other posters seem to support that opinion.
    I lived in Wicklow for 7 yrs, travel the roads every day on Motorbike or Car and to be fair i would deem the tailgating and just plain rude driving down there alot worse than i have ever seen here..As you say alot of posters saying its bad here , do they drive the roads here daily or was that a once off observation..I am making a judgement of 7 years of every day driving/riding ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I lived in Wicklow for 7 yrs, travel the roads every day on Motorbike or Car and to be fair i would deem the tailgating and just plain rude driving down there alot worse than i have ever seen here..As you say alot of posters saying its bad here , do they drive the roads here daily or was that a once off observation..I am making a judgement of 7 years of every day driving/riding ..

Definitely a lot more Darwin Award-winning driving into blind bends up here!

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Definitely a lot more Darwin Award-winning driving into blind bends up here!
    Seems the new crazy is people going around Blind bends on hard shoulders letting other cars past or people just using the hard shoulder as a extra slow lane thats more dangerous than anything..

Hang on there and I will get a marketing friend of mine to do a survey of drivers in the Wicklow / South Dublin Area and get back to you on that ....

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

yeah and then there is the people that cause the tail gating, i mean the ones who drive at 60/70 on a 100k road or even slower on a 80kph road and they have a tailback of cars behind them and they just seem to be oblivious to the traffic build up behind them or dont care

puddles22 wrote: »
    yeah and then there is the people that cause the tail gating, i mean the ones who drive at 60/70 on a 100k road or even slower on a 80kph road and they have a tailback of cars behind them and they just seem to be oblivious to the traffic build up behind them or dont care

There's that all right, usually caused by elderly people who if there was any meaningful public transport wouldn't be driving at all. I'm sure though that sitting on the bumper of a woman in her mid eighties would cure her of driving slowly. Wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Some people seem to want you to tailgate them. I see countless people pull out less than 10 car lengths ahead, and drive at 50-60kmph on a 100kmph road. You catch up to them really quickly, and then they try break checking you because you're close to them.

And IMO break checking is such a dangerous and reckless thing to be doing. If you break check you have no right to give out about any one else's driving.

kiddums wrote: »
    Some people seem to want you to tailgate them. I see countless people pull out less than 10 car lengths ahead, and drive at 50-60kmph on a 100kmph road. You catch up to them really quickly, and then they try break checking you because you're close to them.

And IMO break checking is such a dangerous and reckless thing to be doing. If you break check you have no right to give out about any one else's driving.

Don't drive so close to them then.

I agree- it is an equally aggressive thing to do. I'm a reasonably fast driver and have no interest in either dawdling or enforcing the speed limit on other users - but the advice I was given was to slow gradually down to let a tailgater pass, or pull over when safe onto a hard shoulder. Better to have an idiot ahead than behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Oh you mean BRAKE? Ah I see.. Well there is no law saying you have to drive at 100 kph. I never drive at more than 50 MILES and rarely even that. Many 100 k roads are really not safe at those speeds. The Ring of Kerry road from Killarney to Molls Gap is 100 k limit... Try that and you will take off into the lake....and pulling off places are hard to find if coming from Killarney...Tailgating someone is a dangerous and discourteous thing to do and I will always tap the brakes if they are too close. It defeats the object as you make it all but impossible to pull off. Just accept that not everyone thinks as you do or drives as you do. And yes I am over 70 with a small car and have as much right as you do to use the roads in peace and safety. Oh I have noticed that cars stopped at road works traffic lights put their hazard warning lights on to warn drivers and that probably came the hard way too. That works with tailgaters too..

Banjoxed wrote: »
    I agree- it is an equally aggressive thing to do. I'm a reasonably fast driver and have no interest in either dawdling or enforcing the speed limit on other users - but the advice I was given was to slow gradually down to let a tailgater pass, or pull over when safe onto a hard shoulder. Better to have an idiot ahead than behind.

No aggression in it. not for me. Just advising and informing that you are far too close for me even to pull off. I am doing nothing wrong; they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Came across that while up that way last year, I wouldn't be known for taking my time needlessly, but with the family in the car on unfamiliar twisting roads (edit and what I considered a worse thing, the surface condition of the roads, being uneven surface, as with road drenched in rain, this reduces grip even more and test the suspensions ability to keep the tyres in contact with the road even more) in lashing rain had some moron drive right up my rear end and then overtake on a narrowing short straight section before going over a hump on the road going into a bend where you could not see anything oncoming.

Generally people are in a rush, I try to leave more time than necessary and I either stay to the left on multi lane roads or I'm overtaking.
    I think it's fair enough to say on main routes it's a pain when you can see a queue behind one car when the road and conditions are ok, they should just pullover or make it easy for anyone to pass, but there are times when the road and conditions aren't suitable or you are already travelling at a reasonable speed where you'll get some jackarse still wanting to pass, I try let these people get away from me as quick as possible, but there are times when they can't pass (oncomign traffic) and they still insist on driving dangerously right up your arse.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Oh you mean BRAKE? Ah I see.. Well there is no law saying you have to drive at 100 kph. I never drive at more than 50 MILES and rarely even that. Many 100 k roads are really not safe at those speeds. The Ring of Kerry road from Killarney to Molls Gap is 100 k limit... Try that and you will take off into the lake....and pulling off places are hard to find if coming from Killarney...Tailgating someone is a dangerous and discourteous thing to do and I will always tap the brakes if they are too close. It defeats the object as you make it all but impossible to pull off. Just accept that not everyone thinks as you do or drives as you do. And yes I am over 70 with a small car and have as much right as you do to use the roads in peace and safety. Oh I have noticed that cars stopped at road works traffic lights put their hazard warning lights on to warn drivers and that probably came the hard way too. That works with tailgaters too..

So you think its acceptable to pull out in front of someone without allowing for then to need to slow down from the speed limit without slamming on the brakes as you have no intention of doing the speed limit? And then you think its ok to brake check them without giving them time to slow down safely?
    I like that you mention discourteous for tailgating but you think that tapping your brakes in front of another car for no reason is perfectly fine.

I didn't say that tailgating was OK, I said brake checking was an idiotic thing to do as it can easily cause an accident. If you're so concerned with the car behind you and you tap your brakes then you're not paying enough attention to the rest of the road, you're clearly too concerned with being a road warrior, appointed by some higher being to personally manage the speed and road positioning of the car behind you.

I do have to ask, how often do you check the working condition of your vehicle? Do you check that all the lights are working correctly? Especially the brake lights before you go off and brake in front of other road users.
    Have you ever driven within 8 meters of the car in front of you?

If this is your attitude graces then I'm glad you're not in Donegal anymore then. You're clearly of the opinion that 2 wrong make a right and that you are the person to enforce such things on the road.
    I personally know the limits of both myself and my car and never drive outside of them, but I encounter more than enough people on the road who, like yourself, have made themselves some sort of protector of the the rules.

So you think its acceptable to pull out in front of someone without allowing for then to need to slow down from the speed limit without slamming on the brakes as you have no intention of doing the speed limit? And then you think its ok to brake check them without giving them time to slow down safely?
    I like that you mention discourteous for tailgating but you think that tapping your brakes in front of another car for no reason is perfectly fine.

I didn't say that tailgating was OK, I said brake checking was an idiotic thing to do as it can easily cause an accident. If you're so concerned with the car behind you and you tap your brakes then you're not paying enough attention to the rest of the road, you're clearly too concerned with being a road warrior, appointed by some higher being to personally manage the speed and road positioning of the car behind you.

I do have to ask, how often do you check the working condition of your vehicle? Do you check that all the lights are working correctly? Especially the brake lights before you go off and brake in front of other road users.
    Have you ever driven within 8 meters of the car in front of you?

If this is your attitude graces then I'm glad you're not in Donegal anymore then. You're clearly of the opinion that 2 wrong make a right and that you are the person to enforce such things on the road.
    I personally know the limits of both myself and my car and never drive outside of them, but I encounter more than enough people on the road who, like yourself, have made themselves some sort of protector of the the rules.

I honestly cannot see what relation there is between what I wrote and this aggressive post. It certainly reveals aggression. No I have never tailgated and never will. All I can do re your post is laugh frankly Please calm down especially if you are driving. And by the way I have over 50 years of safe driving behind me and never an insurance claim or conviction of any kind. maybe go for a nice calming walk!!!! I am not impressed! roflol!!! Thanks for the laughter young person! I needed that today. Welcome to my "ignore " list..You just qualified for a space thereon.

cerastes wrote: »
    Came across that while up that way last year, I wouldn't be known for taking my time needlessly, but with the family in the car on unfamiliar twisting roads (edit and what I considered a worse thing, the surface condition of the roads, being uneven surface, as with road drenched in rain, this reduces grip even more and test the suspensions ability to keep the tyres in contact with the road even more) in lashing rain had some moron drive right up my rear end and then overtake on a narrowing short straight section before going over a hump on the road going into a bend where you could not see anything oncoming.

Generally people are in a rush, I try to leave more time than necessary and I either stay to the left on multi lane roads or I'm overtaking.
    I think it's fair enough to say on main routes it's a pain when you can see a queue behind one car when the road and conditions are ok, they should just pullover or make it easy for anyone to pass, but there are times when the road and conditions aren't suitable or you are already travelling at a reasonable speed where you'll get some jackarse still wanting to pass, I try let these people get away from me as quick as possible, but there are times when they can't pass (oncomign traffic) and they still insist on driving dangerously right up your arse.

Thanks for this. A few weeks ago I drove to macroom in the dark and wet. That means what I call the " Ballyvourney bends"; several miles of sharp bends and dangerous corners and nowhere to pull in or overtake. Anyone tailgating with headlights full on makes it even more hazardous. Yesterday early in the dark I was on the Molls Gap to Killarney road; sheeting with rain and a car behind me sits on my tail headlights full on. I could see almost nothing except his headlights. I know the road well and there was no place to pull off for nearly a mile. No response to a gentle tap on the brake so I had to slow down and crawl. The drivers who I respect are those who see the brake light and realise there is a problem and drop back. They are the ones too who when you pull in to let them pass flick lights to thank you

I honestly cannot see what relation there is between what I wrote and this aggressive post. It certainly reveals aggression. No I have never tailgated and never will. All I can do re your post is laugh frankly Please calm down especially if you are driving. And by the way I have over 50 years of safe driving behind me and never an insurance claim or conviction of any kind. maybe go for a nice calming walk!!!! I am not impressed! roflol!!! Thanks for the laughter young person! I needed that today. Welcome to my "ignore " list..You just qualified for a space thereon.

Thanks for missing my point and my tone.
    I wasn't being overly aggressive, I just have a pet hate for people who brake for no reason on the road. Even more for those who brake check others.
    And then there's the people who don't realize what is actually dangerous.

You must be a perfect driver then. 50 years ago you got a licence, great. Have you done a test since? Or kept up to date with current driving practices or rules?
    Actually, wouldn't you be in the era where people didn't do a test to start driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭overshoot

I am doing nothing wrong; they are.
    Tailgating someone is a dangerous and discourteous thing to do and I will always tap the brakes if they are too close.
    And by the way I have over 50 years of safe driving behind me and never an insurance claim or conviction of any kind.

this is what kiddums was referring to. you are right they are doing something wrong, but you are also doing something wrong. It makes an already dangerous situation much worse, no iffs or buts brake testing another car is illegal no matter how light you tap them. That is not safe driving, you are contradicting yourself.

As this thread has a lot about courtesy in it... anyone ever find Northern drivers almost never ever dip lights until they can see you? drives me insane every time i go to dublin. I find donegal drivers much better for knocking off the headlights before rounding the corner/top of the hill so you dont see full beams.

Also found 2 in dublin with no rear lights, wouldnt mind but there was woeful fog there too. front lights were working so i would say they hadnt a clue.... importance of checking every so often!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,876 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Mod note: There's a fair element of "flame baiting" in that post so just knock it off.

Oh, and people aren't as well educated in the Queen's English as you are so no need for the snide remarks either about their grammar.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I drive from Donegal to Derry everyday for work, and I'd agree there is lots of tailgating up here... main issue though is the condition of the roads. There are potholes your car (or a large lorry) would fall in to!

I've not heard of brake checking before - and just googled. EEK!!! Wow. Yes, very dangerous.

Just as an aside though; I've taken (and passed) the IAM Advanced Driving course, and you're taught on there to touch the brakes just so the light come on, but the pedal isn't depressed as it makes people think you will brake, so gets them to give you some distance. That was from the safety aspect, but it was underlined you should never actually brake as that will just lead to an expected rather than an accident...

kathleen37 wrote: »

Just as an aside though; I've taken (and passed) the IAM Advanced Driving course, and you're taught on there to touch the brakes just so the light come on, but the pedal isn't depressed as it makes people think you will brake, so gets them to give you some distance. That was from the safety aspect, but it was underlined you should never actually brake as that will just lead to an expected rather than an accident...

Touch the pedal to put on the brake light ,.,, And what will the person behind do step on the brakes causing an accordion effect and which is dangerous..If this is what IAM is teaching it is a crazy thing ...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ItsLikeThis

Touch the pedal to put on the brake light ,.,, And what will the person behind do step on the brakes causing an accordion effect and which is dangerous..If this is what IAM is teaching it is a crazy thing ...

The tailgating car will be frequently braking anyway more than likely

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i think people misunderstand tailgaiting with knowing the road and needing to be close to a car when you know there is an overtaking opportunity, did it all the time on roads through the peak district in the uk to maintain my progress.

dont do it as much now as i spend a lot less time in the car

i think people misunderstand tailgaiting with knowing the road and needing to be close to a car when you know there is an overtaking opportunity, did it all the time on roads through the peak district in the uk to maintain my progress.

dont do it as much now as i spend a lot less time in the car

Here's a thing. You can't see as far ahead if you are right up the rear end of another car. You need safe distances in order to be able to read the road ahead and give yourself enough time to accelerate without tearing the ass out of your engine. This is basic stuff.

Advertisement