Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 02-12-2015 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Hope this is in the right direction.

Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Just picked up a record player/turntable (not sure of the correct terminology) in black friday. Cheap enough but want to get a start on it before I invest more heavily in a proper set up. Anyway just wondering, it has an extremely weak inbuilt speaker to the point of being pointless. It has a red & white RCA output and I'm looking for a set of cheap speakers to go with it. Anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

A bit more detail would help, i.e. Make/Model etc. In the absence of those details I'd guess that the phono plugs you mention provide a Line Level signal which is meant to feed an amplifier to which you would connect a set of speakers.

Are the plugs marked as OUTPUT or OUT or Line OUT ?

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Hi folks

Hope this is in the right direction.

Just hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Just picked up a record player/turntable (not sure of the correct terminology) in black friday. Cheap enough but want to get a start on it before I invest more heavily in a proper set up. Anyway just wondering, it has an extremely weak inbuilt speaker to the point of being pointless. It has a red & white RCA output and I'm looking for a set of cheap speakers to go with it. Anyone point me in the right direction?

As Zener says you really need an amp with a phono stage and then the amp connects to speakers. Second hand you could do ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Thanks. Sorry meant to give the player make, its an ION audio classic LP USB turntable. They're line level outs as far as I can tell. I have an old HiFi system that might potentially be able to connect to via the rca outputs but I suspect I'd better getting a standalone system. I'd like it to be compatible with a higher end player if I get one down the line.

So having done a bit of research i'm coming to the conclusion that the Ion is a piece of junk that I should never have bought :O got caught up in the black friday thing and didn't research it thoroughly. Anyway lesson learned, will try move it on or if all else fails it looks good so makes nice decoration. I'm now looking at getting a proper Turntable as I don't want to ruin my records, so far I've seen the Pro-Ject Essental or the Rega RP1 seem to be the way to go for a newbie, also heard the Audio Technica LP120 is good but I don't see any shops here selling it where as the others are on richersounds and Hifihut. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to buy from and which to get? I'm seeing conflicting opinions on all three so its pretty confusing for someone only starting out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

So having done a bit of research i'm coming to the conclusion that the Ion is a piece of junk that I should never have bought :O got caught up in the black friday thing and didn't research it thoroughly. Anyway lesson learned, will try move it on or if all else fails it looks good so makes nice decoration. I'm now looking at getting a proper Turntable as I don't want to ruin my records, so far I've seen the Pro-Ject Essental or the Rega RP1 seem to be the way to go for a newbie, also heard the Audio Technica LP120 is good but I don't see any shops here selling it where as the others are on richersounds and Hifihut. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to buy from and which to get? I'm seeing conflicting opinions on all three so its pretty confusing for someone only starting out.

Rp1/ essential are basically the same turntable (tonally) The rega comes with the rega carbon, the essential comes with the orthaphon om10
    There are a few new amp's on the cheap side : pioneer A10k or onkyo A9010. Combined with the q acoustic series (2010/3010) are an effective combo.

The best part of the rega is the optional upgrades available by rega ( or another company ) enabling you to improve the tone,while the project can do this too
    I feel the rega is a better idea. (imo)

~Sol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,398 ✭✭✭Dartz

I own a Rega RP1.

It'sa pretty good sounding piece of kit with a preamp, and speakers....

Recommended.

Dartz wrote: »
    I own a Rega RP1.

It'sa pretty good sounding piece of kit with a preamp, and speakers....

Recommended.

Where'd you get it do you mind saying? Don't see many bricks and mortar shops with them if any.

There's a few places in Dublin and Cork that sell quality turntables.

Cloney Audio is one and they have a small section in Tower Records on Dawson Street.

Probably just an hours drive up the M9 from you.

In Limerick there's HiFi Bits but their prices are on the high side.

Ken

Where'd you get it do you mind saying? Don't see many bricks and mortar shops with them if any.

Hifi Hut

Bought it over the counter because what I'd gone there to buy got sold five minutes before I walked through the door.

Can be tricky to find, mind. But nice.

Didn't realise hifihut had a shop, thanks. Had a look on the tower site but see no mention of a HiFi section, are they likely to stock the rega or project?

• Advertisement

On the Tower website there's a link on the top left to Cloney Audio. They have a small section in Tower on the left of the stairs and they have a few turntables on display. The guys there are really nice and very helpful !

Ken

Cheers will be in Dublin next weekend so want to have a look if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The new Audio Technica LP5 is getting v good reviews, Rage Records in Dublin selling it for 399.

Have issues with a turn table with USB. But superficially it looks good.

~Sol

akaSol wrote:
    Have issues with a turn table with USB. But superficially it looks good.

Just ignore the USB port, I don't think it has any bearing on quality of deck?

Just ignore the USB port, I don't think it has any bearing on quality of deck?

Not the deck but the phono stage. Having the USB there just screams cheap to me (points at every other brand and lack there of) Just wondering if there's a version without the USB

~Sol

akaSol wrote: »
    Not the deck but the phono stage. Having the USB there just screams cheap to me (points at every other brand and lack there of) Just wondering if there's a version without the USB

~Sol

I hate them myself but the deck got a great review here:

https://www.avforums.com/review/audio-technica-at-lp5-turntable-review.12034

Summary:

Audio Technica AT-LP5 Turntable Review

As with any market where the growth in sales figures tempts new arrivals, there is always a danger that some of these new turntables turning up will be rather 'me too' products that don't really do anything to stand out from the competition. The Audio Technica AT-LP5 is not one of these products. Audio Technica has carefully and deliberately designed a turntable that has almost nothing in common with the competition- a pretty bold move when confronted with the success of the existing dominant brands

The result is a slightly sober looking deck that is realistically the new class of the field below £500. It is satisfying to use, built like a truck and delivers a sonic performance that does a fine job of delivering the promise of vinyl without reverting to stereotypes. I have been critical of the cartridge in the copy pretty much because it is the only real weakness in a truly exceptional turntable. This is a brilliant one stop shop to get going with analogue (or back into for that matter) and it is an unquestionable Best Buy.

I hate them myself but the deck got a great review here:

https://www.avforums.com/review/audio-technica-at-lp5-turntable-review.12034

Summary:

Audio Technica AT-LP5 Turntable Review

As with any market where the growth in sales figures tempts new arrivals, there is always a danger that some of these new turntables turning up will be rather 'me too' products that don't really do anything to stand out from the competition. The Audio Technica AT-LP5 is not one of these products. Audio Technica has carefully and deliberately designed a turntable that has almost nothing in common with the competition- a pretty bold move when confronted with the success of the existing dominant brands

The result is a slightly sober looking deck that is realistically the new class of the field below £500. It is satisfying to use, built like a truck and delivers a sonic performance that does a fine job of delivering the promise of vinyl without reverting to stereotypes. I have been critical of the cartridge in the copy pretty much because it is the only real weakness in a truly exceptional turntable. This is a brilliant one stop shop to get going with analogue (or back into for that matter) and it is an unquestionable Best Buy.

Wow, I sit corrected. Good call.

~Sol

The new Audio Technica LP5 is getting v good reviews, Rage Records in Dublin selling it for 399.

Got my RP1 with a standalone USB pre-amp for less.

I'd rather the standalone preamp because it can be upgraded in the future.

Dartz wrote: »
    Got my RP1 with a standalone USB pre-amp for less.

I'd rather the standalone preamp because it can be upgraded in the future.

A fine deck, though this guy seems to rate the LP5 higher.

• Advertisement

I'd rather not spend €400 for just a turntable, I know its good value and has got great reviews but in all likelihood i'll end up spending 600+ on a turntable in a couple of years time once I've got the hang of preamps, receivers, amps and all the other things I currently know little or nothing about. Right now I just want something to get me started that won't ruin my records and will give me decent sound. I've more or less settled on the Pro-Ject Essential II or the Rega RP1 and i'm leaning towards the pro-ject at the moment but I hope to get a look at both this weekend and decide when I see them in person. Thanks for mentioning the LP5 though, I'd read on thewirecutter.com that the lp120 was the best available at that point but that appears to be based on US prices, can't find it available anywhere for less than the RP1 or Pro-Ject.

I'd rather not spend €400 for just a turntable, I know its good value and has got great reviews but in all likelihood i'll end up spending 600+ on a turntable in a couple of years time once I've got the hang of preamps, receivers, amps and all the other things I currently know little or nothing about. Right now I just want something to get me started that won't ruin my records and will give me decent sound. I've more or less settled on the Pro-Ject Essential II or the Rega RP1 and i'm leaning towards the pro-ject at the moment but I hope to get a look at both this weekend and decide when I see them in person. Thanks for mentioning the LP5 though, I'd read on thewirecutter.com that the lp120 was the best available at that point but that appears to be based on US prices, can't find it available anywhere for less than the RP1 or Pro-Ject.

Fair enough, Rage have the 120 for 349 but if i was getting one it would be the LP5:

https://therage.vendecommerce.com/record-players/products/audio-technica-lp120-usb-1

A fine deck, though this guy seems to rate the LP5 higher.

Much of a muchness. My purchase of the RP-1 was determined by what was available on the day, in as much as reviews. I went looking for a different deck, it was out of stock, I left with the RP-1. The same thing will probably happen to OP.

Just trying to give alternatives that work.

So would you agree that the lp120 is a better buy than the rega or pro-ject? Doesn't really seem to be a consensus pick as best in that price range.

So would you agree that the lp120 is a better buy than the rega or pro-ject? Doesn't really seem to be a consensus pick as best in that price range.

No, as I said would add 50 bills or so for lp5, better reviews than 120.

Ok but in comparison with the other two would it be better than the Rega or project? Apologies for all the questions.

I'll let others here chime in who have owned those decks, I have a 120 myself and like it but never had either of the others, I bought mine second hand for 120 euros in 2013, maybe see if you can buy a secondhand deck, don't buy an ion or a crosley piece of crap whatever you do! Any deck with a built in speaker is a toy BTW.

Whatever you can find will do you right. Really, don't set your heart on a particular one. So long as you buy something reasonably decent you can tweak and modify and upgrade it along the way. The Rega's fairly good for this, for a start.

Just don't get anything with a needle formed from red plastic - they all look the same because they're all really the same budget 5 Euro chinese deck.

See Below for a Direct rip from a Steepletone playing Metallica's Master of Puppets

https://www.mediafire.com/?o4mw9jmtyiegmmz

(I think this if Fair Dealing.... since it's to show how crap a particular kind of turntable is rather than actually 'share' the song. Anyway, **** it.)

I opened it for ****s and giggles and it was basically hot-snotted cheap electronics glued to MDF. Heavy enough and actually not bad as a stylish set of laptop speakers, but not good for records. They build quality on some of the parts is shockingly bad - poor fitting and definitely not worth E100 or whatever they're asked for. It's maybe a fiver or a tenner in production and that's it.

And as much as I don't want to be one of those people bolloxing on about 'respect your records' and the like, these Steepletone/Crosley/Ion players do increase the wear rate on records - they have a much higher tracking weight on the needle which mean they dig harder into the groove to generate enough signal to actually work.

So long as what you find has a Moving Magnet cartridge (Moving coil gets pricey, quick), and some sort of adjustable counterweighting and anti-skate (Sometimes called Bias). It'll sound a fair bit better, generally won't wear the records out as quickly and last a hell of a lot longer mechanically.

Just to update you in case anyone was interested, ordered a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon today in the sale on richersounds, down to €380. Took a lot of humming and hawwing over what to do but in the end I decided to invest more now rather than spend a couple of hundred now and then spend 3 or 4 times that down the line. Plan now is to keep the carbon for 3-5 years while i build up the rest of my setup. I need speakers, decent amplifier(have a cheap pre-amp ordered to go with the carbon), a subwoofer and a few other bits. Can't wait for it to come now as I got a few records for christmas but I don't want to play them on the Ion. Thanks for all the replies here.

• Advertisement

Not too much "humming" I hope ?!

..... sorry ....

Ken

Here it is all set up. Am just running it through a stereo I had but next up is some speakers and an amp but for now I'm delighted with it.

SYstrDl.jpg

Advertisement