Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supervalu in kennedy street to close

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

road_high wrote: »
    Can't ever see that happening. Dunnes haven't opened a new store anywhere since the beginning of the recession. Especially when you see SV closing a very modern and attractive store closely, there's not a hope in hell of them building another white elephant in Carlow, especially when they have a a very large store already in Carlow. Why would they close that one? It's a very modern flagship store, no way they'll be closing that to move. It makes zero sense.

I suppose it depends on the trade they are doing compared to what they could be doing. I wouldn't think its a fair comparison when comparing the new site to the SV site. Being honest the shops there all ready are great, I'd regularly shop in most of them. If Dunnes was there and Aldi around the corner I wouldn't have to go far at all each week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

strelok wrote: »
    people need to get over the obsession with town centres in the same way supermarkets got people over their obsession with corner newsagents and main street.

it's a new time, town centres should be more for entertainment, food/drink and living with shopping a little further out where the traffic won't be as much of a nuisance.
    What about people who don't have a car?

anyone remember when Shaws and Haddens were in full swing as well as Darrers stores for both clothing and food and there was also long Q's out the door of Crottys and there was also several more very busy shops and pubs and all this was done with two way traffic on Tullow street! And then for several months of the year there was added traffic around the town from the beet factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

That's the site they were looking at years ago they never were taking a unit beside woodies. Have you a source for it happening now. They would never get permission to come through Feltham with a road and that twin roundabout couldn't take another road onto it there isn't enough room. I could never see it happen

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I suppose it depends on the trade they are doing compared to what they could be doing. I wouldn't think its a fair comparison when comparing the new site to the SV site. Being honest the shops there all ready are great, I'd regularly shop in most of them. If Dunnes was there and Aldi around the corner I wouldn't have to go far at all each week.

No way Dunnes will move. It makes no sense. They are barely holding their ground in the face of Lidl and Aldi, let alone abandon a modern newish store and go build a new one in a town already oversupplied with supermarkets. They're doing fine where they are, it's very accessible in a built up area.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Yes that's the field. There's a whole new road being considered which does involve connecting Blackbog Road to the retail park and onwards to the Eire Og roundabout over a new bridge (not certain about that). That twin roundabout at the Hanover Road/Green Road/Blackbog Road junction is horrible as it is - so if they're adding a new 4th exit to it, something better is going to have to be figured out. Another access route through Feltham Hall also, but the residents there aren't best pleased.
    I would not like to have you as the town planner . Most of the road connecting Ken Blacks to Eire Og is built and in about a year and a half it will be finished with a new roundabout at Ken Blacks .There will be jackasses grazing in that field for a few years . Dunnes in Graigue is doing quite well with a good few tills open most of the time .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Bog Man 1 wrote: »
    I would not like to have you as the town planner . Most of the road connecting Ken Blacks to Eire Og is built and in about a year and a half it will be finished with a new roundabout at Ken Blacks .There will be jackasses grazing in that field for a few years . Dunnes in Graigue is doing quite well with a good few tills open most of the time .

What are you on about you "would not like to have me as the town planner"
    Where did I say what I WOULD do if I was the town planner?

Anyways....to the rest of ye....

A quick Google of "Feltham Hall" and "Dunnes Stores" brings up Feltham Hall property already being advertised as being "adjacent to the new Dunnes Stores shopping centre"

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/85-feltham-hall-carlow-town-carlow/2875927

And that was a year ago
    This is not new
    I thought this was all common knowledge!

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭contrary_devil

Laois_Man wrote: »
    What are you on about you "would not like to have me as the town planner"
    Where did I say what I WOULD do if I was the town planner?

Anyways....to the rest of ye....

A quick Google of "Feltham Hall" and "Dunnes Stores" brings up Feltham Hall property already being advertised as being "adjacent to the new Dunnes Stores shopping centre"

And that was a year ago
    This is not new
    I thought this was all common knowledge!

Is there a planning application lodged or better still approved? I would have thought that if Dunnes were in the process of opening a new store it would have been front page news on The Nationalist which I don't remember seeing.
    I'm not a retail guru by any stretch of the imagination but Dunnes have only Aldi as competition where they are whereas if they were to move to where you suggest they would be going head to head with Tesco. Perhaps you are right but I cannot see it happening.

Is there a planning application lodged or better still approved? I would have thought that if Dunnes were in the process of opening a new store it would have been front page news on The Nationalist which I don't remember seeing.
    I'm not a retail guru by any stretch of the imagination but Dunnes have only Aldi as competition where they are whereas if they were to move to where you suggest they would be going head to head with Tesco. Perhaps you are right but I cannot see it happening.

All I can see is vague mention in a property ad, probably based on pre-recession hear say.
    Look, there's not a hope of this happening. Carlow is is oversupplied with supermarkets, Super Valu have even taken the drastic step of closing one. Dunnes as a company are just about holding their own, and haven't opened new stores anywhere for years. They're not going to open another white elephant in Carlow where they already have a very modern store.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭D_BEAR

There was planning permission on that site in 2010 so it could be lapsed by now.

http://www.eplanning.ie/CarlowCC/AppFileRefDetails/106301/0

The proposed development comprises a retail superstore of 8889sq.m Gross Floor Area to include convenience supermarket with a Nett Floor Area 2598.2sq.m and a home stores textiles and comparison goods Nett Floor Area 2662sq.m including alcohol sales area, ancillary administration offices, staff facilities, bulk store cage marshalling area, café, circulation space to include entrance atrium and service yard. The re-alignment and landscaping of existing 598 car parking spaces granted under (PD 5041) to include additional 180 new parking spaces to give a total 778 spaces, new ESB sub-station, all ancillary landscaping, site development works and services to include re-alignment of existing entrance and boundary wall and new boundary wall to the Hermitage a protected structure and construction of new Link Road from Paupish Bridge to Hanover Cross including modifications to existing junction arrangements at Hanover Cross. Access to proposed development will be via the existing Carlow Retail Park entrance and via two car park accesses and a service yard access onto the new link road. An Environmental Impact Statement has been prepared in respect of the planning application.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not going to happen. An Bord Pleanala killed off the planning permission in 2011.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/carlowpeople/news/retail-development-turned-down-27043112.html

The loss of SV will be hard on Carlow Shopping Centre, some imaginative thinking would be needed to pull a new anchor into the complex.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Not going to happen. An Bord Pleanala killed off the planning permission in 2011.
    http://www.independent.ie/regionals/carlowpeople/news/retail-development-turned-down-27043112.html

The loss of SV will be hard on Carlow Shopping Centre, some imaginative thinking would be needed to pull a new anchor into the complex.

Indeed. It's quite a big store as well. Place like that needs a very strong anchor tenant to be relevant. It's not a ringing endorsement of the Carlow economy so it's going to be a huge struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

The town as a shopping destination is fooked until they do what Kilkenny, Wexford and Waterford all did and concentrate your retail in one street.

It's time to make Barrack St the centre of the town (much as we hate it most people won't walk more than 300-400 metres from their car so Barrack St is the point between the three biggest car parks and it's wide enough to make it more plaza like and user friendly. Even oneway traffic with the other flow going around by Tesco by improving the Bridge/Accommodation route.

Incentivise anything within the area in green as retail and cut the rest loose. As previously stated Dublin St is a goner, and upper Tullow St is on its last legs and it's all for lack of parking.

There are loads of sites for development as shown by the smaller green circles.

Shops like Homestore, the pet store, Halfords would all be accommodated easily within this area. Any shop that you can carry away your purchase by hand.

Look up a town called Challans in France is you can see how you can have a mid sized shops all branching off one small wide street in the centre. https://www.google.ie/maps/@46.8458789,-1.8793971,3a,75y,49.76h,72.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sk2dfSRyFOWqMiqKNVSK_vw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I love the way the frenchies all park so neatly within the parking bays and dont abandon their car/van/bus/lorry to pop in for the paper/fags/chips/banking etc like we do here in Carlow:D

As for the map of Carlow, Little Barrack street is mostly protected as is a lot of the street frontage on Barrack street and this will be very difficult to get around. Like it or not Tullow street is the way to go and Parking can easily be provided by the Council if they had the inclination.

I was in the Super Valu today and it's a sorry sight. Empty, bare shelves and refrigerators everywhere.
    Not many bargains to be had here, just some odd bits of tat they won't sell I
    guess and 25% off all wines (probably easier do that than pack them up again and risk breakages). When it closes, do Musgrave's come in and pack up what's left and off to another store?
    Was actually a few people around all the same, it's a pity as it was always a nice shop and location.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I was in the Super Valu today and it's a sorry sight. Empty, bare shelves and refrigerators everywhere.
    Not many bargains to be had here, just some odd bits of tat they won't sell I
    guess and 25% off all wines (probably easier do that than pack them up again and risk breakages). When it closes, do Musgrave's come in and pack up what's left and off to another store?
    Was actually a few people around all the same, it's a pity as it was always a nice shop and location.

Yes, a lot of leftover stock will be moved to another shop/s. Depends on value and expiry dates. Unfortunately, a lot of it will be dumped too.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of leftover stock will be moved to another shop/s. Depends on value and expiry dates. Unfortunately, a lot of it will be dumped too.

That's kinda silly, they should sell it all off to hell I reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not trying to highjack the thread but with Xtra-Vision gone now as well sad times for the loss of jobs in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

That's kinda silly, they should sell it all off to hell I reckon!

Would hope they'll donate anything suitable that's left over to St.Clares Hospitality Kitchen if it's non perishable goods (tins of fruit & veg, soups, ice-creams etc.) and any leftover fruit n' veg & bread to SVDP (given it'll be Friday evening; St.Clares will be closed so won't have any use for it) etc.

Is it still closing tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Yeah think so. There isn't much left in there today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,887 ✭✭✭patrickc

iano.p wrote: »
    Yeah think so. There isn't much left in there today.

any bargains to be had?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

Whats going to happen to the shop now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

sunny2004 wrote: »
    Whats going to happen to the shop now ?

I assume it'll sit empty until someone else leases the space ..
    Though with SuperValu gone out of there that shopping centre is really missing an anchor tenant .. (not that it was exactly booming to begin with .. )

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Seems a lot of people think Pennys night move into it while there own place is redeveloped take that with a grain of salt.

Blacknight wrote: »
    I assume it'll sit empty until someone else leases the space ..
    Though with SuperValu gone out of there that shopping centre is really missing an anchor tenant .. (not that it was exactly booming to begin with .. )

Hard to see who would go in there. All the other major chains are already in Carlow for groceries, unless maybe TK Maxx I was thinking.
    I don't think M&S would touch Carlow for now at least.

Seems a lot of people think Pennys night move into it while there own place is redeveloped take that with a grain of salt.

Even that did happen it's only a very temporary solution.

I just walked through the Carlow SC. this afternoon.
    God it's depressing. Can count on one hand the amount of shops left mainly Peter Marks and Sam Mccauleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

I just walked through the Carlow SC. this afternoon.
    God it's depressing. Can count on one hand the amount of shops left mainly Peter Marks and Sam Mccauleys.

Don't know how some're still going or why they don't buy out their contract? Perhaps it's excessive to do so.

Nights like Thursday & Fridays Peter Marks is only unit open til 9; Sam MacAuleys only open til 7:30pm (6:30pm other 3 Weekdays; 6pm W/Ends).

Auto Factors (used be in Fairgreen S.C.), Vape, Trax, Alive & Well Health & Beauty Shop, Gourmet Café, ISPCA 2nd Hand Shop & Clothes Shop beside Trax & Claires Accessories other units; bundling it like that it sounds a decent line-up & that's before Ronnie in Affordable Blinds & Curtains, Serenas Boutique & A-Spec Security Systems, the Cinema & the Christian Ministries Unit are all filled; not sure what they're all paying but average rent'd be €300 per unit (depending on square footage)

Peadar & Etta Doyles, Gelatos, Douglas Jewellers & the unit beside Jewellers only vacant units inside bar Superquinn; outside there's only Chartbusters & the 2nd Unit Serena Boutique used to have empty.

Surely when SV pulled out there was a renegotiation in prices of rent for those already in (don't forget Gourmet Cafe were only open since the previous September if not less than that?) situ esp. by larger units of Peter Marx & Sam MacAuleys?

Trax USP is they're only record shop in town now & some still want their CDs, DVDs, Posters & Tee-Shirts and they do techie fixes on I-Pads, I-Pods, Tablets, Phones, etc. too (yes aware Tesco do too & SV Sandhills but not to extent of back catalogues & niche markets like C&I, C&W that Trax do).

With Penneys being put on an even longer finger now (P.P. extended recently by Donnybrook Properties) it's hard to see anything but the place stagnating; would nearly open a book on which business inside or outside the S.C. will be next to go......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭cml387

Sad to read this .

When it opened first I thought that the redevelopment of the old Hanover Works site was brilliantly done. (I'm ex Carlow RTC and remember the site when it was Thompson engineering:eek:).

Clonmel suffered the same fate when SQ closed and became Supervalu and now the whole area around the place is a wasteland.

• Advertisement

I think the Penneys redevelopment doesn't make sense in the context of this huge white elephant almost now empty in the centre of town. It's almost unprecedented in the whole country for a shopping centre (dont forget this was a very high quality one, 15-20 years back) to almost completely wither like this. I put some of the blame on the management, they must be completely rudderless to allow it esculate to this desert. There's things they can control namely the rent and leases which surely mustn't be attractive at all.

Advertisement