Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rainfall Warning for South East - Thursday, December 3rd

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

RobertKK wrote: »
    North of Kilkenny city. 220M asl.
    Rain: 26mm
    Temperature 3.4C down 1.3C in past hour.
    Wind chill -1.1C.
    Humidity 98%
    Dew point 3.1C.

31mm here near Arklow and rising
    Some fierce heavy,then light
    Looks from radar,area of mist rain is going to be Midlands /east/Dublin not the south East?

North of Kilkenny city. 220M asl.
    Rain: 26mm
    Temperature 3.4C down 1.3C in past hour.
    Wind chill -1.1C.
    Humidity 98%
    Dew point 3.1C.

Just seen your temp :eek: its still 11.7c here
    Some contrast!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Parts of the Terenure road north were flooded at 12 today, I dread to think what its like now. Im in work in an hour in Harolds Cross, dreading that walk

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

5 year station record broken in Waterford City with 50.5mm recorded so far. Flooding widespread across the city.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

42.4mm now. A five year station record of 50mm from 6/7/2015 surely will be broken.

50.8mm now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Just seen your temp :eek: its still 11.7c here
    Some contrast!

Yes that is big, now it is 2.8C.
    Down lower in warmer Kilkenny city it is 4.2C.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Met Eireann got this warning badly wrong by leaving Waterford out and the amounts were too low also.

Villain wrote: »
    Met Eireann got this warning badly wrong by leaving Waterford out and the amounts were too low also.

This is what they said at 6am today:
    Rainfall Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    25 to 35 mm of rain today with a risk of up to 40 mm along parts of the the south coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Villain wrote: »

Waterford was a typo id say, it was in the updated warning. How hard is it to predict exact rainfall? 25% out at least with totals I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

This is what they said at 6am today:
    Rainfall Warning for Dublin, Carlow, Kilkenny, Wexford, Wicklow, Cork, Tipperary and Waterford
    25 to 35 mm of rain today with a risk of up to 40 mm along parts of the the south coast.

They did eventually include Waterford but originally they didn't. I have the utmost respect for Met Eireann but to include all the neighbouring counties and not include Waterford was an error on their behalf. They did fix it but an error all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭moeblogs

Waterfor%20Rain.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Site is Flooded :(, worst rain iv'e seen here in 15 years

looks like im living in a moat

Lot of flooding around Arklow, south exit to M11 included
    South end of the town is under water

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

They did eventually include Waterford but originally they didn't. I have the utmost respect for Met Eireann but to include all the neighbouring counties and not include Waterford was an error on their behalf. They did fix it but an error all the same.

Yes it was obviously omitted by mistake. Though I doubt it would have made much difference, most people don't pay much attention to yellow rain warnings and the regular forecast covered heavy rain for Munster anyway.
    As it turns it this more of an orange warning than yellow for some areas but I remember seeing changes on each run on the HIRLAM yesterday so in fairness not easy to predict totals.

Ferrybank.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

moeblogs wrote: »
    Ferrybank.jpg
    Where you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This is worth a consult for anyone about to step into the Dublin rush hour. Quite a bit of flooding at important pinch points already which are going to cause a bit of havoc.

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Dublin.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well for once im gonna have a dig at ME, Meath wasnt mentioned in any warning and iv'e not seen rain like this in 15 years, not only am i flooded, but i was in navan earlier and seen water gushing up through a man hole and the boyne has burst its banks over at the home place, lucky for the parents, they're up on a hill looking down at it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Waterfor%20Rain.jpg

Is that Claremont across the road, where the old Waterford Glass entrance is? I can't believe it is flooded that far back, there is still a slope down to the roundabout there!

Edit: just seen the WLR summary, yes it looks as though much of Waterford is under water, including bits that are not usually flooded. Glad I am not in the rush hour traffic today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some totals since midnight (up to 4pm). Data from met.ie via IWN.

Oak Park 36.7 mm
    Johnstown Castle: 31.9 mm
    Casement: 30.6 mm
    Dunsany: 19.9 mm
    Mullingar: 19.6 mm

New Moon

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Is that Claremont across the road, where the old Waterford Glass entrance is? I can't believe it is flooded that far back, there is still a slope down to the roundabout there!

That is the entrance to the old Waterford crystal, Claremont is to the left out of shot. Someone just reported that a sinkhole has opened up on the Waterford crystal site with water pouring out .. TBC.https://www.facebook.com/100004317193016/videos/570272703126631/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

unofficial station near Tallaght and Saggart recording near two inches of rain which doesn't surprise me as it was torrential there earlier for quite sometime!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

pad199207 wrote: »
    unofficial station near Tallaght and Saggart recording near two inches of rain which doesn't surprise me as it was torrential there earlier for quite sometime!

53.6mm on Waterfordcityweather, which seems to be a record for a 24 hour total there. Looking at the pictures, I'd believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Well for once im gonna have a dig at ME, Meath wasnt mentioned in any warning and iv'e not seen rain like this in 15 years, not only am i flooded, but i was in navan earlier and seen water gushing up through a man hole and the boyne has burst its banks over at the home place, lucky for the parents, they're up on a hill looking down at it

I was going to say something similar.

I was surprised when I seen the thread was for the South East only. It has not stopped raining all day in Navan.

Kilkenny city 27.5mm
    My station 6 miles away 27.0mm.

We seem to have been lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Where you?

That looks like heading into ferrybank from Waterford.

Kilkenny city 27.5mm
    My station 6 miles away 27.0mm.

We seem to have been lucky.

49mm here, stopped now
    Lots of brooks everywhere well out into the fields,some are completely under,maybe two feet of water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

One problem in driving an urban road in these conditions is that its impossible to see any dislodged manhole covers. Driving into one may result in a vehicle becoming stranded.

Walking into one (whilst attempting to assist a stranded motorist for example) could be far more serious without using a staff to test where you will be stepping...

Nice to see some footage :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

This event seems to have been more north than expected

Advertisement