Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delayed talker

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Millem wrote: »
    Hi OP, I am terrible I can't remember how many words my boy had at a younger age! My PHN insists on doing the 18-24 month developmental check at 18/19 months. I thought she was mad and couldn't understand why she wouldn't do it nearer to two as no way would my son have 60+ words, be able to put two words together etc.

Anyway I had told her he had maybe 30/40 words...she said that was grand as he was only 19 months. She said that was perfect, the main reason for the developmental test apparently is to check for signs of autism. I have noticed major developments in the last few weeks with his speech...he has Defo much more than 60 words, he puts two/three words together, is starting to dress and undress himself, wipes himself, can tell me when he has done number two etc.
    Amazing things can happen in the space of a few weeks ;)

My boy can sort of dress and undress himself. He kind of helps it that makes sense? He'll go to put his arm through the t shirt sleeve etc, and I'll just have to direct it to make sure it doesn't pop out the neck hole. He can take off his own shoes and attempts to put them back on. He can pull off his coat although he isn't quite there with zips. He'll wipe himself during a nappy change if I give him a wipe. Won't tell me when he's pooping though! Still no words though. He'll say 'chuh' for cheers at meals and well clink our glasses. Think that's the only comsistent , understandable sound he makes.

He loves the sounds of aeroplanes and cars and will point to the sky and try and get my attention when he hears it. Still talking loads of gibberish though! Our slt appointment has been changed to jan as we are too busy/sick to squeeze it in before xmas. I'm 11 weeks pregnant and have terrible mornign sickness and he's had a nasty virus.

It makes me so sad for him that he desperately wants to be understood and have conversations with us. I think he'd talk for ireland if we could communicate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

My boy can sort of dress and undress himself. He kind of helps it that makes sense? He'll go to put his arm through the t shirt sleeve etc, and I'll just have to direct it to make sure it doesn't pop out the neck hole. He can take off his own shoes and attempts to put them back on. He can pull off his coat although he isn't quite there with zips. He'll wipe himself during a nappy change if I give him a wipe. Won't tell me when he's pooping though! Still no words though. He'll say 'chuh' for cheers at meals and well clink our glasses. Think that's the only comsistent , understandable sound he makes.

He loves the sounds of aeroplanes and cars and will point to the sky and try and get my attention when he hears it. Still talking loads of gibberish though! Our slt appointment has been changed to jan as we are too busy/sick to squeeze it in before xmas. I'm 11 weeks pregnant and have terrible mornign sickness and he's had a nasty virus.

It makes me so sad for him that he desperately wants to be understood and have conversations with us. I think he'd talk for ireland if we could communicate!

My boy wouldn't be able to dress or undress, but like that, knows to put his arms out etc. If I tell him it's time to get dressed, he's well able to run to his wardrobe and pick out an outfit for himself, and I'm impressed that he'll remember all of what he needs, down to the vest and socks! If I ask him if he needs a nappy change, he'll nod or else say "No!" If he does need one, he'll go and get his mat and nappy and wipes. I've never seen him try to wipe himself yet, but I'll maybe suggest it to him!

Same as that, he gets very frustrated at times being unable to talk. Most of the time he can manage to communicate what he wants - usually by dragging me and pointing at whatever it is! But other times, he's upset and it's obviously not that easy to communicate what he wants, and it breaks my heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Hey everyone, just to follow up:

We had my son's audiology appointment this morning (at 8am, which we only remembered at 7.20am - panic and no time to worry!). Firstly, he passed everything no problem, which is a great relief. Secondly, the audiologist said that 15 months is too early for us to be referred to her, that our doctor was being very cautious and that usually she sees kids at the youngest 18 months.

So it appears from the audiologist that 15 months is too early to start worrying about serious hearing or speech issues, and 18 months is more her cutoff age.

I had already contacted the Early Intervention office last week and am waiting on a call back which can take a few weeks, so I'll just see how things go in the time being.

My son is 16 months this week and no words yet but we're talking the hind legs off him :)

My boy has come on massively in the last few weeks! Not sure if it's his age or the work we are putting in! His movement and physical communication is doing really well. I think being home here this week has actually helped a bit as he's copying others an awful lot. I'd say one new action every day! Also he is talking Like a loon! Constant chat of noises and words and like full sentences ( except they amke no sense to me!) he 'spoke' on the phone to my dad for five minutes and got very upset when we made him hang up!

We can definitly see an improvement so I've everythign crossed that he just needs time :)

Hi everyone, thanks for the helpful replies. Here is an update on our situation so far. Note that we live in the US so the system is different than Ireland, but I thought it might be useful to someone anyway.

My guy is now 17 months just gone and still no words. We had an evaluation just before he turned 17 months where they assessed him for all developmental milestones, not just language. He came out with flying colours in all areas except for communication where he had a 32% delay. He's probably a bit worse than that for the speech alone, as in their assessment both talking and understanding are in the same category and he did fine on the understanding bit, like following instructions, which would have helped his % up a little over all. So, the assessors said he falls within the cutoff for assistance, which is greater than a 25% delay. He isn't bad enough for a speech therapist, so we will have 1 hour a week with a Special Instructor, who is a teacher specially trained in speech. That is starting next week.

Apparently it will all be through play. The assessment was all through play too. My husband and I were both there, and it was great to see him do the things they were asking him like pointing to things in books, playing with bricks and feeding a baby doll. But it was also a bit emotional to see him not reply or even try to say anything at all. He does try to communicate, but with grunts or squeals or by pointing or his five signs. We're used to how he is but I felt quite sad and very protective of him during the assessment. I know it is not a big thing and he'll more than likely be fine, but I cant help that feeling! I can only imagine how it must feel for parents whose babies have bigger worries than ours.

We'll see how the sessions go.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Oh that's very positive op. It's great to see they are working with him through play! It's also great that he was able to show them stuff in the book. Delighted for ye

Glad you've had the assessment done, the classes can only help! My guy is 2 next week. We haven't been able to have our assessment as the lady who promised to do it keeps fobbing me off saying she is busy for weeks on end. Well pissed about it. Anyway, we return to ireland end of feb and I'll be straight into phn.

My boys signing has really come on. He does hungry, eat, more and waves lots. He says dada ALL the time for almost everything, but occasionally calls me mama :). He's also brilliant at picking out everythign in his picture books. Doing all the actions to wheels on the bus, and incy winch spider perfectly. He's also now regularly shaking his head for no when he doesn't want somethign, where it was hit and miss before. Lots off waving too. Also think he is saying ball.

Definitly think he is progressing anyway! There's a big leap at 2 yrs so hopefully his speech and communication will improve with that too!

Glad you've had the assessment done, the classes can only help! My guy is 2 next week. We haven't been able to have our assessment as the lady who promised to do it keeps fobbing me off saying she is busy for weeks on end. Well pissed about it. Anyway, we return to ireland end of feb and I'll be straight into phn.

My boys signing has really come on. He does hungry, eat, more and waves lots. He says dada ALL the time for almost everything, but occasionally calls me mama :). He's also brilliant at picking out everythign in his picture books. Doing all the actions to wheels on the bus, and incy winch spider perfectly. He's also now regularly shaking his head for no when he doesn't want somethign, where it was hit and miss before. Lots off waving too. Also think he is saying ball.

Definitly think he is progressing anyway! There's a big leap at 2 yrs so hopefully his speech and communication will improve with that too!

Sounds like your guy is doing great, dori! sorry to hear you are getting the run around on his assessment. aren't the signs so useful? I'm glad we did them now, I think we would have lots of tantrums if he had no way at all of telling us those things.

I only started the signs a couple months ago, so glad he's pickign teh, up! My husband forgets to do them (and I often do too!) so glad they have finally clicked!
    Definitly going to do the sign course on the next baba due in July. Put then that one will probably have a different issue, and be talking at 9 months or soemthing lol!

I only started the signs a couple months ago, so glad he's pickign teh, up! My husband forgets to do them (and I often do too!) so glad they have finally clicked!
    Definitly going to do the sign course on the next baba due in July. Put then that one will probably have a different issue, and be talking at 9 months or soemthing lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Signing is great and it's been shown to actually bring on their spoken language too as it's working on their underlying language system. Best of luck with your little ones girls

Advertisement