Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loosing weight but not muffin top

Options
  • 01-12-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi guys , I 've lost a few pounds by cutting down on takeaways to once every weekend , smaller dinners and cut down on snacking sweets etc.. but not a budge from the hips , I can't do running I'm a seriously bad asthmatic wheezing after a min of running so any other exercises to help ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Go to a gym and start lifting weights. Get a PT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

If you've lost a few pounds already, and it's due to exercise and not something else like fluid loss for example, then you just have to keep doing what you're doing to lose the rest. Even if it takes a few months, what's a few months in the context of a change that should really last for your whole lifetime if it's worth doing at all. I don't think it's possible to target weight loss to specific areas of the body. In terms of exercises, walking is good. How far do you live from your place or work or study or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

I'm a stay at home mum, studying at home too can't really afford the gym but I do walks everyday with my little one . I haven't really been exercising apart from walking so the weight loss is from cutting down food

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I'm a stay at home mum, studying at home too can't really afford the gym but I do walks everyday with my little one . I haven't really been exercising apart from walking so the weight loss is from cutting down food

I wouldn't underestimate walking as a contributing factor. I'm male, 6'5", and wasn't overweight at 89 kg at the start of this year, but I lost 6kg in 6 months by walking to work and back each day, 40 minutes each way. Plus I always tend to walk rather than drive or take the bus if I'm going anywhere under 4km. I've always heard that it's better if the pace is brisk, though, to be of benefit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Homer Glumplich

Well done on losing a few pounds, it sounds like you've made some good changes so you're on the right track. Some things I found useful in my experience of getting in shape was increasing my water intake and buying an exercise bike. I bought a cheapish one in argos and it's lasted years! You could probably get a second hand one on adverts or something as well. A mixture of cardio, weights and changes in the diet would probably give the best results. If you're just easing into it I'd recommend the exercise bike and add on later maybe? Good luck and as Rob Schneider would say "You can do it!"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hi guys , I 've lost a few pounds by cutting down on takeaways to once every weekend , smaller dinners and cut down on snacking sweets etc.. but not a budge from the hips , I can't do running I'm a seriously bad asthmatic wheezing after a min of running so any other exercises to help ?

Walk.

Distance is what matters for the calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

takeaways to once every weekend
    I haven't really been exercising

Two parts that stood out the most to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

As a fellow asthmatic, this time last year I was the exact same. I smoked ( stupid ) and the thoughts of jogging more than a minute seemed completely far fetched. I was bad enough looking back at it but I've quit smoking and have completed the C25k. I can jog at a decent pace for nearly 30 minutes, trying to slowly build up to 10k at the minute.
    My chest has really improved too, I don't use my inhaler much at all - night and day compared to how much I used it before. Try the program out, you can download it for free on your phone and it gradually builds you up - you will only be doing a minute of jogging on the first week for example. I still use my inhaler before a run! Also, look at adding some green juice to your diet ( apples are very good for asthmatics ).

The more you run, the better your lung functions will get. Many top athletes are asthmatics, don't let it hold you back. Obviously take it very easy starting off and don't over do it, it's better to go at a slow pace, your fastest walk is your slowest run. Also, always carry your inhaler just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Good job on starting.

Now here are my 2 cents:
    - You need to fix your diet, monitor your food intake(there are plenty apps for that).
    - If you want to see good progress you need to ditch those sweets. Replace them with something healthy(carrot). Do not fall for 'healthy' snacks/bars as there is no such thing.
    - Watch what you drinking. Alcohol and juice are high in sugar. Drink water instead.
    - As you stay at home I do not see a reason why you need takeaways in the first place. Cook your own food it is healthier and cheaper.
    - Keep on walking and aim for an hour at least everyday. Not sure how old is your little one but I assume you still need a buggy. Try to walk at higher pace while pushing it. This will help to use those extra calories.
    - Measure yourself as this helps with motivation.

Now you might think this is a lot and it is initially. But if you stick to this the pounds will start dropping and as you start seeing progress it will become a normal thing for you.
    Do not forget to treat yourself. You can have a cheat meal a week but that does not mean that it has to contain 2000 calories :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Deshi Basara

Big thing to remember is you won't see dramatic change overnight.

Commit to making small changes & form good habits as opposed to major life changing decisions that will be hard to maintain.

Your abdomen could also be bloated due to minor food intolerances - try cutting down on bread & dairy. See how you get on.

As mentioned above - walking is a great free & low impact form of exercise. Download a pedometer app & aim for roughly 10k+ steps a day.

If you're a stay at home parent - I would recommend a low impact home workout. Personally, I'm a fan of DDP yoga. Very enjoyable, most of the workouts are only 20-25 mins and you will feel great after.

Fair play for making the effort so far.

Best of luck!

Advertisement