Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zuckerberg Giving Away 99% of His Facebook Shares

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,394 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Costly baby brain moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Skoop

That's nice of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

A monorail for every city in the world!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I always thought if I was that rich Id run an Apollo program into super efficient solar panels then give the technology away, even a fairly modest increase in efficiency of solar panels would mean you'd be mad not to have them on your roof anywhere on the planet and they're slowly improving as it is, that would be a major shift towards the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

can I have some please Mark? I'll buy you a pint of Guinness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Be nice if he was to distribute it to Facebook users... I wouldn't complain like.

Looks like its over his lifetime not right away as it first sounded anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I doubt we will see him shopping in Adld

I doubt we will see him shopping in Adld

I doubt we'll see anyone shopping in Adld tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

fock it, he's only giving it to "good causes", no chance of me getting some

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Thargor wrote: »
    Its too long to write Aldi/Lidl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

that graffiti artist David choe who painted Facebook offices when it was starting up and instead of taking payment took stocks instead is worth 200 million today...jammy git

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Anyone know why there are so many people of foreign ethnicities in Lidl?

I normally go to Dunnes, the level of foreign ethnicity in Lidl was really startling. I've noticed this before but this time it's as if I was in eastern europe. It seems weird if their brand loyalty or clubcard points from eastern europe are keeping them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

Face what?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,757 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sure Mark sold some shares a while back to pay a tax bill....he sold shares and received $2.3 billion.

What he is doing is good and is to be commended. He has all the money he will ever need.

Anyone know why there are so many people of foreign ethnicities in Lidl?

I normally go to Dunnes, the level of foreign ethnicity in Lidl was really startling. I've noticed this before but this time it's as if I was in eastern europe. It seems weird if their brand loyalty or clubcard points from eastern europe are keeping them there.
    Maybe they like saving money on food and other stuff like everyone else? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

He's probably keeping the good 1% for himself and getting rid of the 99% sh1t ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Facebook paid 4,000 pounds corporation tax in the UK in 2014. How much did the average worker in the UK and Ireland pay, I wonder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Himself and his wife own the charity they're giving it away to, so it's not as straigtforward as it sounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Maybe they like saving money on food and other stuff like everyone else? :confused:

Alright smart guy, you know all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Azrel

daRobot wrote: »
    Himself and his wife own the charity they're giving it away to, so it's not as straigtforward as it sounds.

Same kinda setup as Bill Gates foundation then. What's ironic is, if society wasn't configured to allow people amass such vast wealth then the charity wouldn't be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The couple plans to funnel about $45 billion in Facebook stock into the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative over their lifetimes. The organization will initially focus on education and disease.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/01/zuckerberg-daughter-max-born.html

Surely this is just until the site collapses and is worth nothing (which will definitely happen at some point in the next 5 years I'd say). The likes of Facebook and such being worth such silly money is a bubble in itself. If I were him I'd be flogging any shares i have that are worth anything. Keeping them is just being a zucker (see what I did there?! hardy har har).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

An astonishing gesture.

It still leaves him with 450m in the bank. It truly is an amazing scale of money.

I would prefer the power of 45bn even though id never get near spending it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Zuckerberg is just a poster boy for the American government. 99% of $45b leaves them with $450 million plus additional earnings in the future from Facebook. I'd say this is the deal he cut years ago. Him and the site could never have taken over the world without backing.

Yeah well I know something he can't buy...

A dinosaur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

daRobot wrote: »

Giving it to themselves :pac: i smell a tax scam here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I think he should buy coke and hookers for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Giving it to themselves :pac: i smell a tax scam here

They're not giving to themselves. The charity is probably a trust, which means the trustees will distribute the proceeds to different causes as it sees fit. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

He probably is getting a tax deduction. The man is giving away $45bn. Do you really begrudge him that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Superhorse wrote: »
    Face what?

Look everyone, a hipster pretending they don't know what one of the most popular site in the world is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Maybe just attention seekers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wonder what he'll do with all his likes?

Cure cancer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Bunch of begrudgers in this thread.

Zuckerberg, like Gates before him is a legit hero, and the 45 Billion will indeed go a long way, improving lives for generations to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Fuzzy wrote: »
    Bunch of begrudgers in this thread.

Zuckerberg, like Gates before him is a legit hero, and the 45 Billion will indeed go a long way, improving lives for generations to come.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I can't really imagine Denis O'Litigator doing the same..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Memnoch wrote: »
    Facebook paid 4,000 pounds corporation tax in the UK in 2014. How much did the average worker in the UK and Ireland pay, I wonder?

0 I would've thought. They're not corporations.

Amirani wrote: »

Game, set and match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Amirani wrote: »

You know exactly what I meant. What's the point of resorting to a pointlessly semantic argument?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

smash wrote: »
    Be nice if he was to distribute it to Facebook users... I wouldn't complain like.

Well he is donating it to help the needy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

biko wrote: »
    The couple plans to funnel about $45 billion in Facebook stock into the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative over their lifetimes. The organization will initially focus on education and disease.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/12/01/zuckerberg-daughter-max-born.html

They should have called it zuckerchan. Or chanberg!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Shares are worth nothing unless they are sold and people are willing to pay for them. would not ditching 45bn in shares set a run on the company killing the share price anyway ? So theoretical 45bn could be a lot less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Fair fuks to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Bono has just announced that he is also giving away 99% of his wealth to charity.

Not

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭manonboard

The_Mac wrote: »
    Look everyone, a hipster pretending they don't know what one of the most popular site in the world is.

a hipster critic! such a rare thing to behold.

Its likely he was being sarcastic..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Letree wrote: »

Defamation lawyers, rollout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Letree wrote: »

Lawyers get much of their work from the likes of Denis O'Litigator. many of them would be on the breadline and possibly even homeless without the dig-out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

preaching he wants to make the world a better place? Go back in time and instead of just stealing Facebook idea, Bury it.

Not got a time machine ok. Start small. Try telling your company that sells people's information, to stop avoiding paying taxes.them hospitals don't run themselves.

Something stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

That's nothing to honest.

Sure did'nt Fianna Fail donate €70 billion to the foreign bondholders. That's what I can generosity...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I like to think of myself as a good cause, hope he keeps me in mind

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Fair play to Zuckerberg. That $45 billion will really help needy causes. As someone else opined, he has all the money he will ever need.

If I was in his position I'd put the 45 billion towards a manned mission to Mars, but that's just me.

I also detect a sliver of jealousy on this thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement