Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Interprovincials

Options
  • 01-12-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Before I even submit the thread I know some of the responses will be to scrap it.
    Nevertheless its on this weekend in Galway, Armagh and Down. The competition seems to retain broad support from players. That support kept IRS alive and its now showing signs of recovery.
    Get the feeling this is being shoehorned into whatever date they could find. Finals clashing with the Leinster club football final and no Dublin footballers available. None of that can be helpful.
    With the GAA pushing to wrap up all club activity within the calendar year it could eventually retake its St Patrick Day slot.
    Without TV coverage, GPA backing and some sort of marketing strategy it will always be wandering the desert regardless of the date its played.

Saturday 5 December
    Interprovincial SFC semi-finals
    Munster v Leinster, Pairc Esler, 4pm
    Ulster v Connacht, Athletic Grounds, 7pm

Interprovincial SHC semi-finals
    Ulster v Connacht, Pearse Stadium, 12.30pm
    Munster v Leinster, Pearse Stadium, 2pm

Sunday 6 December

Interprovincial SFC final
    Munster/Leinster v Ulster/Connacht, Athletic Grounds, 2.30pm

Interprovincial SHC final
    Ulster/Connacht v Munster/Leinster, Pearse Stadium, 1.30pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Are we only playing Munster in Páirc Esler because of proximity to the Athletic Grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Are we only playing Munster in Páirc Esler because of proximity to the Athletic Grounds?

Not sure the reasons for the venue choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

People can blame the GAA all they want for not pushing the interprovincials, but the bottom line is that not enough people care about them for them to be viable.

As far back as the 70s the interprovincials have been said be dying, with attempts to spice it up by adding a Universities select to the competition proving incapable of saving it. For years people suggested playing the final abroad to make it more exciting. This was done, and lo and behold, people still didn't care.

I don't really think the players wanting it amounts to much of an argument. Of course they'd want it, its an easy chance to play some good football with good players. They're under no pressure, they don't have to train too long or too hard for it, nobody cares if you lose, you get your gear and meals and expenses etc.

I'd go as far as to say that the interprovincials get more attention now than they ever did before. Only change is that these days all the attention is on how desperately unpopular and irrelevant they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

It suffering because it is being played only a couple of weeks after the International Rules series. If people had any interest in seeing players from the same province/country playing along side each other, the IR series, hoovered it all up imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Munster Inter Provincial Hurling Panel 2015

Padraic Maher (Tipperary) Captain

John Conlon (Clare)

Cian Dillon (Clare)

Shane Golden (Clare)

David McInerney (Clare)

Shane O’Donnell (Clare)

Conor Ryan (Clare)

Mark Ellis (Cork)

Séamus Harnedy (Cork)

Anthony Nash (Cork)

Paudie O’Sullivan (Cork)

Shane Nolan (Kerry)

Paul Browne (Limerick)

Tom Condon (Limerick)

Shane Dowling (Limerick)

Cian Lynch (Limerick)

Paudie O’Brien (Limerick)

Gavin O’Mahony (Limerick)

James Ryan (Limerick)

Cathal Barrett (Tipperary)

James Barry (Tipperary)

Kieran Bergin (Tipperary)

Darren Gleeson (Tipperary)

Patrick Maher (Tipperary)

John O’Dwyer (Tipperary)

Noel Connors (Waterford)

• Advertisement

LEINSTER PANEL:

J Dempsey (Offaly),
    P Murphy (Kilkenny),
    M O'Hanlon (Wexford),
    L Ryan (Wexford),
    L Chin (Wexford),
    M Whelan (Laois),
    C Buckley (Kilkenny),
    C Fogarty (Kilkenny),
    D Redmond (Wexford),
    B Carroll (Offaly),
    R Hogan (Kilkenny),
    C Dwyer (Laois),
    G Keegan (Kildare),
    C McDonald (Wexford),
    M Kavanagh (Carlow),
    G Maguire (Dublin),
    J Fitzpatrick (Laois),
    S Kelly (Wicklow),
    M Burke (Meath),
    J Boland (Dublin),
    L Ryan (Kilkenny),
    E Price (Westmeath),
    W Walsh (Kilkenny),
    L Og McGovern (Wexford),
    Z Keenan (Laois),
    N O'Brien (Westmeath),
    S Dooley (Offaly).

Fair play to Mickey Burke making the hurling panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭arctictree

Looks like they chose 1 player from each of the weaker counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

You know this is a waste of time when the Dubs would rather go on their holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

paulie21 wrote: »
    You know this is a waste of time when the Dubs would rather go on their holidays

looks like the Waterford hurlers have done the same. Definitely time to scrap this. It's a noble idea but not noble enough for anyone to turn up/care about the games so why should the players care? They have enough other games on throughout the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Maybe I'm just cynical but the Leinster team definitely has the look that they chose a strong core of a team, then one each from Wicklow, Meath Kildare etc.

On top of that, I'm not normally one to criticise players, but Mickey Burke isnt even the best hurler in Meath, I have no idea how he got on to the team. There's several hurlers better than him in the county, maybe they couldnt commit or werent chosen because of club activity.

Pity its not on the tele. I dont think I've ever seen one of these games. Being on the tele might spark some interest.

Players like this series and the International rules series/Shinty because you get to play at the top level. The more games against better players, the better player you will become.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

deadybai wrote: »

Players like this series and the International rules series/Shinty because you get to play at the top level. The more games against better players, the better player you will become.

anyone that gets on an iner prov team certainly isn't lacking game time

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The hurling is on in Pearse Stadium ... which is a few minutes down the road from where I live .... but I'm not around this weekend. D'oh! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

The hurling is on in Pearse Stadium ... which is a few minutes down the road from where I live .... but I'm not around this weekend. D'oh! :(

Looking at the weather warnings, I would be amazed if these went ahead, and twice as amazed if they went ahead in Pearse Stadium.

danganabu wrote: »
    Looking at the weather warnings, I would be amazed if these went ahead, and twice as amazed if they went ahead in Pearse Stadium.

It's ridiculously windy here at the moment alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Is there anyone thinking of heading up to these match's? We've some tickets going if anyone interested.

http://mayoclub51.com/2015-interprovincial-championship/

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

The Cork lads are on their way up to Pearse Stadium but it will probably called off they think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭cms88

Both sets of semi finals are off.

On another note it was great to see such a spread of players by all the teams. Great for lads from Tyrone, Donegal, Roscommon, Kerry, Carlow etc getting to play with and against lads form Kilkenny, Tipp etc. Same with the football

cms88 wrote: »
    Both sets of semi finals are off

Shame. Further emphasises the need for a better calendar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

If this competition is to be continued it should be on maybe the October bank holiday weekend. Ok the club championships would still be going on but what happened to November and December supposedly being down time. Games shouldn't be played at this time of year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my opinion the Railway Cups were fine when players were only getting 1 game a year and it could be played off in conjunction with the main championship, now that's not an option it needs a massive re-think.

Personally, I would look to make a festival weekend for invited players, semi-finals on the Saturday, finals on a Sunday with the ground being completely open to allow people in and out as they want. Also, make the games more "fun" and throw in some quirky stuff like rotating subs, 2 points for sidelines, 4 quarters instead of halves, maybe try some trial rules, make it like the Concern match after the All Ireland's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Clareman wrote: »
    In my opinion the Railway Cups were fine when players were only getting 1 game a year and it could be played off in conjunction with the main championship, now that's not an option it needs a massive re-think.

Personally, I would look to make a festival weekend for invited players, semi-finals on the Saturday, finals on a Sunday with the ground being completely open to allow people in and out as they want. Also, make the games more "fun" and throw in some quirky stuff like rotating subs, 2 points for sidelines, 4 quarters instead of halves, maybe try some trial rules, make it like the Concern match after the All Ireland's

Nice thinking outside the box, but a bit too radical

One way or another bring them back to St. Patricks day and the finals played on the Easter Public Holidays, Sunday and Monday, three games each day and possibly one on the eve of the Holidays. All of the above incorporating the Club Finals or in conjunction with the Club Finals.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Thanks for putting up the. Munster and Leinster hurling panels. That's more than either of the Dublin dailies did. They would gladly talk the RC to extinction but wouldn't even give us that.
    Can anyone put up the Ulster and Connacht selections? Thanks.

feargale wrote: »
    Can anyone put up the Ulster and Connacht selections? Thanks.

Here you go.

Ulster Hurling Inter-Provincial Panel:
    1. Chrissy O’Connell – Captain (Aontroim)
    2. Odhran McFadden (Aontroim)
    3. John Dillon (Aontroim)
    4. Conor McKinley (Aontroim)
    5. Danny Cullen (Dun na nGall)
    6. Neal McAuley (Aontroim)
    7. Kevin Hinphey (Doire)
    8. Conor Woods (An Dún)
    9. Daniel McKernan (Aontroim)
    10. Damien Casey (Tír Eoghan)
    11. Paul Cleary (Doire)
    12. Aiden Kelly (Tír Eoghan)
    13. Danny Toner (An Dún)
    14. Conor Corvan (Ard Mhacha)
    15. Ciaran Clark (Aontroim)
    16. Stephen Keith (An Dún)
    17. Joe Boyle (Dun na nGall)
    18. Gerard Walsh (Aontroim)
    19. Simon McCrory (Aontroim)
    20. Micheal Dudley (Aontroim)
    21. Stephen McAfee (Aontroim)
    22. Alan Grant (Doire)
    23. Ruairi Convery (Doire)
    24. Ronan McDermott (Dun na nGall)

Connacht Hurling Inter-Provincial Panel:
    1. J Skehill(Galway)
    2. F Moore(Galway)
    3. K Hynes(Galway)
    4. P Kellehan(Roscommon)
    5. A Harte(Galway)
    6. G Lally(Galway)
    7. G McInerney(Galway)
    8. M Kelly(Roscommon)
    9. A Smith(Galway)
    10. C Whelan(Galway)
    11. J Cooney(Galway)
    12. P Brehony(Galway)
    13. S Moloney(Galway)
    14. J Canning(Galway)
    15. R Cummins(Galway)
    16. J Keane(Galway)
    17. P Mannion(Galway)
    18. J Coen(Galway)
    19. L Kilcline(Roscommon)
    20. D Collins(Galway)
    21. E Burke(Galway)
    22. J Flynn(Galway)
    23. B Molloy(Galway)
    24. K Feeney (Mayo)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

How about this for an idea.

Every club in Ireland has a chance to tender for the Inter-Pro's from the smallest clubs in Ireland to the largest - All the club needs is four dressing rooms.

It would be massive occasions for the clubs and would draw a greater crowd locally than what it usually draws.

I would play it off in one day with 2 x 40 min Semi finals followed by a 40 min final. (With inter change subs)

CCCC say it won't be rearranged for this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

iDave wrote: »
    CCCC say it won't be rearranged for this weekend

Meeting again on January 12th I think and a date will be set then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Prop Joe wrote: »
    How about this for an idea.
    Every club in Ireland has a chance to tender for the Inter-Pro's from the smallest clubs in Ireland to the largest - All the club needs is four dressing rooms.
    It would be massive occasions for the clubs and would draw a greater crowd locally than what it usually draws.
    I would play it off in one day with 2 x 40 min Semi finals followed by a 40 min final. (With inter change subs)

Here's another idea. Play it a week before the All-Stars are selected, and make it a bit, though not entirely relevant to the selection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Clareman wrote: »

This is the only way to make the interpros work IMO. Turn it into something like the Barbarians in rugby, gather the best players and let them show their stuff. Encourage a fast and open game, it will never be more than an exhibition anyway so it should be about entertainment rather than cut throat championship which can be hampered by fear of losing. Make it fun for both players and fans. Having a charity element to it also helps with the feel good factor.

Moving it around to different county grounds each year it should attract decent crowds due to the novelty and have a few other things around it, entertainment for kids, food stalls, etc. Make a big effort to attract as many locals as possible, you are unlikely to get many travelling big distances to attend but should be able to pull a decent crowd by really promoting it within, say, 30km radius of the venue. Get the pricing strategy right as well, keep the cost of tickets for both days close to the price of a Sunday ticket otherwise a lot of people will just go on Sunday. The bigger the crowds at the games, the more likely it is that a tv station will want to pick it up.

Advertisement