Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GT: Scrap the Lions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Beery Eyed wrote: »
    Could you develop on that please?

If it is, I will genuinely be happy to agree. I grew up loving the Lions tours, and will still watch it every time it takes place. However, when you look at the positives & negatives for us, and those of the host teams, I cannot see how it's advantageous to us.
    We make plenty of money which helps.
    We have in the past 2/3 tours had over 10 players involved in the tour we can expand the depth of our squad by playing games without key players. We should look to player better sides when lions tours are on
    There will always be more benefits for the SH sides but that doesn't mean we should stop the tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I think touring Japan during the Lions tour is a smart move. One of the tough things about tours is the day to day living. Different food, culture and languages being the obvious things but also lots of little things like watching tv and going to the shop for your favourite drink/snack.

Having a bunch of guys in the RWC squad who have experience touring Japan will be beneficial to the squad. Maybe some of them will be inspired to learn the language. One thing the Irish team should focus on is PR in Japan. Make friends and create fans so they become the locals' second favourite team come the RWC.

And I love the Lions tours. They have to stay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Did someone say the rights/contracts are up for negotiations soon?

Be interested if the Lions put in a clause that the pre test teams fielded are the strongest available (unlike against Western Force on the last tour) and that the opposition internationals are made available to the pre test teams too and don't go into camp for 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Did someone say the rights/contracts are up for negotiations soon?

Be interested if the Lions put in a clause that the pre test teams fielded are the strongest available (unlike against Western Force on the last tour) and that the opposition internationals are made available to the pre test teams too and don't go into camp for 3 weeks.
    Current agreement is up after 2017 tour

Advertisement