Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lame Turkey

Options
  • 30-11-2015 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

One of my turkeys seems to be lame this morning. I know that some get lame because they get too heavy for their legs - this one is a white, and is a good weight, but some of the other girls look bigger.

Anyone got any advice? 2 more weeks to despatch, so appreciate any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Bumblefoot?
    Have you checked her foot/claws?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

aonb wrote: »
    Bumblefoot?
    Have you checked her foot/claws?

Thanks - haven't checked yet - what should I be looking for? How would I treat bumblefoot, and what causes it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Bumblefoot will be a swelling, usually (but dont know if thats always) with a black centre. Its a buildup of fluid - pus - an infection with a scab. If you remove the scab, the pus can be drained. You would need to know what you are doing I think. Cleaning the foot very well, then removing the scab and flushing the wound out with Epsom Salts or a wound cleaner. Washing the foot with a saline solution regularly to keep it clean and get the infection out. The foot would need to be wrapped then and treated regularly. The problem is that the dressing has to be kept clean/dry....

Turkeys NAILS can be an issue - check her nails.

Check her toes - being such heavy birds, their weight distribution can cause issues with their feet - including Bumblefoot - wash the foot well, and have a look for damage/cuts/claws broken etc

Have a look at this

http://www.farmsanctuary.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Animal-Care-Turkeys.pdf

Advertisement