Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a new drill

Options
  • 28-11-2015 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Guys

I have been using a borrowed tesco drill for a while and im at my wits end with it. I am also sick of flimsy plasterboard fixings. My outside walls are plasterboard with 50mm insulation and then brick so to fix stuff like heavy mirrors and curtain poles then i have to drill into the block with 100mm screws

This makes me lose the will to live when using the tesco drill so i need advice on a new drill. I want to be able to drill these holes into the brick in a few mins with relative ease

should i go cord / cordless ?
    what drill bits do you recommend ?
    should i get sds ?

I dont have a limitless budget but i am willing to spend on a tool that will make my life easier and will last a long time

can someone give me some help please ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If you're only drilling then I'd buy a corded drill, any old hammer drill you get €40 will perform better than most cordless drills, and you still have the tesco drill for screw driving.

You'd pick up a black and decker or similar for €40. I have a Halfords branded one for 7 or 8 years. This might go against popular opinion, but I think a corded drill is one if those rare things that you can buy cheap and still get good results.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/blackdecker-500w-percussion-hammer-drill-kr504cresk/10506/1.0.17

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Guys

I have been using a borrowed tesco drill for a while and im at my wits end with it. I am also sick of flimsy plasterboard fixings. My outside walls are plasterboard with 50mm insulation and then brick so to fix stuff like heavy mirrors and curtain poles then i have to drill into the block with 100mm screws

This makes me lose the will to live when using the tesco drill so i need advice on a new drill. I want to be able to drill these holes into the brick in a few mins with relative ease

should i go cord / cordless ?
    what drill bits do you recommend ?
    should i get sds ?

I dont have a limitless budget but i am willing to spend on a tool that will make my life easier and will last a long time

can someone give me some help please ?

Buy a decent mains sds drill, some people say you can't beat the aldi / lidl stuff for home use, €60 or so. I'd pay double that and get something with a safety clutch. Hitachi / Bosch / Makita corded drills would be quite good and not massive money for the work they will do.

Definitely go for corded and sds. Look at adverts for good quality sds bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Buy a decent mains sds drill, some people say you can't beat the aldi / lidl stuff for home use, €60 or so. I'd pay double that and get something with a safety clutch. Hitachi / Bosch / Makita corded drills would be quite good and not massive money for the work they will do.

Definitely go for corded and sds. Look at adverts for good quality sds bits.

thanks. whats the safety clutch ? adverts will be second hand bits , no ?

I am looking at this one, shoudl go through brick easy ?

http://www.mcquillantools.ie/bosch-gbh220d1-sds-rotary-hammer-drill-3-mode-650w/

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sfmcar

Make sure and buy an sds drill. Mains would do if you will only use it around the house. battery sds drills are more expensive and prefer to be used regulary. I used an expensive bosch battery drill in work and never had a problem but when i bought a new one for personal use i had lots of issues with batteries not holding charge and i believe its down to limited use

The bosch one you have linked would be perfect. Be sure to get 230v. You would need a transformer if you get 110v

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

http://www.fastfix.co.uk/makita/Makita-HR1830-SDS-Plus-Rotary-Hammer-Drill.html
    I bought one of these a few years ago simply because it was light, short and cheap (I got it for 80€ish delivered from a different site).
    The boss ended up buying it from me and uses it more frequently than his bigger makita and dewalt sds+ drills. It has been put through relative torture for a drill just to see what it could take and it's still going strong. It has always seemed to drill quicker too!?
    The body is hard to differentiate in terms of quality from the bigger makita drills bar the size of course. That probably means the internals are of a poorer quality so will probably not last as long as a top end drill but as I said before, it hasn't let us down yet.
    I'm gonna buy another one actually, except in 230v for those small jobs so i don't need to haul my transformer around.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-HR1830-Rotary-Hammer-Complete/dp/B000LFL0SK

• Advertisement

thanks. whats the safety clutch ? adverts will be second hand bits , no ?

I am looking at this one, shoudl go through brick easy ?

http://www.mcquillantools.ie/bosch-gbh220d1-sds-rotary-hammer-drill-3-mode-650w/

A safety clutch is what stops you ending up in A&E with a broken wrist. With larger drills if a bit stops in concrete the drill try's to spin and your natural reaction is to grab it. It limits the torque from the drill.

Hard to beat the price or quality of that Makita posted above, about ~€75

Adverts has many shops selling bits new, I know I got a very good quality suds chisel for a fraction of the price other places wanted

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    http://www.fastfix.co.uk/makita/Makita-HR1830-SDS-Plus-Rotary-Hammer-Drill.html
    I bought one of these a few years ago simply because it was light, short and cheap (I got it for 80€ish delivered from a different site).
    The boss ended up buying it from me and uses it more frequently than his bigger makita and dewalt sds+ drills. It has been put through relative torture for a drill just to see what it could take and it's still going strong. It has always seemed to drill quicker too!?
    The body is hard to differentiate in terms of quality from the bigger makita drills bar the size of course. That probably means the internals are of a poorer quality so will probably not last as long as a top end drill but as I said before, it hasn't let us down yet.
    I'm gonna buy another one actually, except in 230v for those small jobs so i don't need to haul my transformer around.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-HR1830-Rotary-Hammer-Complete/dp/B000LFL0SK

and you reckon the one listed at the end of your post there would drill through brick easily enough ?

The bosch one is 170 euro and the makita is half that price

what wouuld be the difference here ?

Any electric drill will fly thigh brickwork.

A safety clutch is what stops you ending up in A&E with a broken wrist. With larger drills if a bit stops in concrete the drill try's to spin and your natural reaction is to grab it. It limits the torque from the drill.

Hard to beat the price or quality of that Makita posted above, about ~€75

Adverts has many shops selling bits new, I know I got a very good quality suds chisel for a fraction of the price other places wanted

does that makita have a safety catch ?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Any electric drill will fly thigh brickwork.

not true. my current tesco one wont - its junk

• Advertisement

and you reckon the one listed at the end of your post there would drill through brick easily enough ?

Like a hot knife through butter. One of the ones listed comes with a set of Makita bits for £50, Makita bits would last years just doing stuff around the house. At that price I'd be tempted to buy one as a spare.

If you need one or two long sds bits to drill into brick behind insulation, pop into your local plumbing or electrical wholesalers they will sell good bits very cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

We have really thick walls here. I've had one of these since we moved back, about 8 years ago, and its still going strong.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-2100-Pneumatic-Rotary-Hammer/dp/B006P06Z9Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1448793281&sr=1-6&keywords=bosch

does that makita have a safety catch ?

I wouldn't say it has a safety clutch for that price but once your not drilling > 10mm holes too often not an issue. I guess I'm paranoid about stuff like that, don't want one of them taking you off a ladder!

Like a hot knife through butter. One of the ones listed comes with a set of Makita bits for £50, Makita bits would last years just doing stuff around the house. At that price I'd be tempted to buy one as a spare.

If you need one or two long sds bits to drill into brick behind insulation, pop into your local plumbing or electrical wholesalers they will sell good bits very cheap.

ok thanks a million.

one last question , i want to use these concrete screws which are 7.5 mm and 100mm long. It says i need a 6mm hole drilled. Do you know how these screws work ? Do i just screw them in then to the smaller one and they will get bite along the way without a plug ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masonry-Concrete-Fixings-Anchors-concrete/dp/B00CJ8IXB4

It will go through concrete handy enough so will absolutely fly through block or brick.

Yea just use a 6mm but and no rawl plug, work quite wel, have used them a few times to hold in windows.

One of the lads here had a good tip for hanging very heavy items on insulated boards, drill a hole and use a long express nail, then put a rawl plug up the centre of it and drive a normal screw into it.

It will go through concrete handy enough so will absolutely fly through block or brick.

thanks. buying the one with the free bits. its a great deal. thanks for your help

Yea just use a 6mm but and no rawl plug, work quite wel, have used them a few times to hold in windows.

One of the lads here had a good tip for hanging very heavy items on insulated boards, drill a hole and use a long express nail, then put a rawl plug up the centre of it and drive a normal screw into it.

and would i be able to screw the 7.5 mm concrete screw into the 6mm hole easily enough with a hand driven screwdriver ?

thanks. buying the one with the free bits. its a great deal. thanks for your help
    No problem.
    Is that the one from fastfix? It's 20£ delivery to Ireland unfortunately.

and would i be able to screw the 7.5 mm concrete screw into the 6mm hole easily enough with a hand driven screwdriver ?

The threads on the 7.5mm screw cut into the concrete. i've driven them with my combi drill but usually finish them off by hand. They have a Torx head so you'll need a handle which can take that bit. I usually tighten them up with my ratchet set which has some Torx bits in it.

• Advertisement

No problem.
    Is that the one from fastfix? It's 20£ delivery to Ireland unfortunately.

parcel motel to the rescue!

ok thanks a million.

one last question , i want to use these concrete screws which are 7.5 mm and 100mm long. It says i need a 6mm hole drilled. Do you know how these screws work ? Do i just screw them in then to the smaller one and they will get bite along the way without a plug ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masonry-Concrete-Fixings-Anchors-concrete/dp/B00CJ8IXB4

Yep no need for a plug.

Window fitters use them a lot. You can get them here in builders merchants.

Cripes. If you've got arms like Popeye sure.

I wouldn't even try it. Use an electric screwdriver.

parcel motel to the rescue!

How much is delivery to pm?

How much is delivery to pm?

As far as I can see its €80 for the drill and uk delivery and then 8.95 for parcel motel. I'm not sure tho, never used parcel motel.

As far as I can see its €80 for the drill and uk delivery and then 8.95 for parcel motel. I'm not sure tho, never used parcel motel.

yeah its usually free delivery to UK but with this crowd its actually cheaper to ship to ROI then northern ireland which is odd. still went with it anyway

Cripes. If you've got arms like Popeye sure.

I wouldn't even try it. Use an electric screwdriver.

a normal battery powered screwdriver would suffice ? or would it need to be drill screwdriver (which i dont have :-))

a normal battery powered screwdriver would suffice ? or would it need to be drill screwdriver (which i dont have :-))

Battery screwdriver should be fine.

Battery screwdriver should be fine.

thanks for everything guys., all set.

drill and screws ordered

no more taking 2 hours to put a curtain rail :-)

• Advertisement

not true. my current tesco one wont - its junk

it's a corded still?
    I'm.assuming it has hammer action anturned om and you're using a masonary bit?

Advertisement