Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orthotics

Options
  • 27-11-2015 11:24pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I hope it's ok for me to post this here. I've had pain in my lower shins and feet for the past few months. It's not been too bad but I decided to see my GP about it. She reckons that it might be shin spints and that I should give orthotics a go. I'm planning to get some at Boots tomorrow as per her recommendation. Has anyone here ever had to deal with this? I'm not seeking medical advice by the way, just wondering if anyone might have advice on the orthotics or anything else that might help.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

Before you go and buy anything why not try a physio or a podiatrist and see if stretching or massage or icing will resolve the situation.

I had pain in my feet and went to a physical therapist who killed me with massage on my shins and feet. Excruciating pain. But lo and behold 3 visits and then using a foam roller on my shins and calves regularly has resolved the situation.

No need for any orthotics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

jamfer wrote: »
    Before you go and buy anything why not try a physio or a podiatrist and see if stretching or massage or icing will resolve the situation.

I had pain in my feet and went to a physical therapist who killed me with massage on my shins and feet. Excruciating pain. But lo and behold 3 visits and then using a foam roller on my shins and calves regularly has resolved the situation.

No need for any orthotics.

My shoes are fairly old and worn. I tend to buy them when I visit my hometown and am picking up some in December. I don't know if that might be an issue. I suspect my GP might not have been the best port of call.

I might bite the bullet and see a podiatrist. I can't imagine it'll be cheap but probably worth it.

Thanks for responding.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

a physiotherapist that looks at your movement might be the best bet. They can advise if orthotics would be useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

stretching the calves and strengthening the glutes did wonders for my foot pain. I wore orthotics for the past 5-6 years and I stopped wearing them this summer after starting to focus more on strengthening the muscles in my ass and just generally being more aware of what I'm doing when I'm walking.

a golf ball or a lacrosse ball to massage the underside of your foot, and a foam roller to work on your calves as suggested above would be a good place to start. using the lacrosse ball on your glutes as well would be (painful, very painful) well worth doing. Just remember, the more it hurts the more you need it. also yeah, new shoes. have a look at the heel of your shoes and check how they are worn. if one side is a bit more worn than the other that could throw your gait off just enough to cause pain.

if you're just sitting around watching tv, or at a computer, you can draw the alphabet with your toes as well or tap your feet a couple of hundred times a few times a day, this will strengthen the muscles at the front of your leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Moved to Fitness by request, in the hope of further replies. Sorry for the delay.

Please note that the Fitness forum charter applies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I wouldn't waste your money on off the shelf orthotics, from boots or anywhere else. I'd go to a Physio- often they can prescribe orthotics, and they start from about €40, which isn't much more than you'll pay for off the shelf.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I bought some cheap ones online and they're helping. I'll try the physio after I replace my shoes if they don't help as well.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I suffered from shin splints so badly I could only come down the stairs on my arse. No joke.

I had custom orthotics made up after a recommendation from a chiropodist/podiatrist and they cost €300. That was Jan 2012.

Now I've had to had another set of orthotics made up for my messed up sesamoids. Collecting them today and that's another €350. :(

Look after your feet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Probably worth doing a boards search on orthotics. There are plenty of threads with plenty of information here already.

FWIW I used orthotics for about 5 years and then gradually managed to give them up. It took me about 10 years to find orthotics that would work though. In that time I easily spent €1,000+ trying all sorts of off the shelf and 'custom' options.

I think that they can help but you're better off solving the source of the problem than using the sticking plaster that is orthotics.

If you do get orthotics I'd recommed using someone who has it as a speciality i.e. an orthotist/podiatrist. I went to an orthotist who committed to keep helping until I could run again. It took a while but we got there. You couldn't pay me to wear orthotics prescribed by a physio again - they'll typically do a 10 days course before they start prescribing. Orthotists and podiatrists study for 3-4 years.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I suffered from shin splints so badly I could only come down the stairs on my arse. No joke.

I had custom orthotics made up after a recommendation from a chiropodist/podiatrist and they cost €300. That was Jan 2012.

Now I've had to had another set of orthotics made up for my messed up sesamoids. Collecting them today and that's another €350. :(

Look after your feet!

Sounds horrendous, M! Hope things have improved.
    Clearlier wrote: »
    Probably worth doing a boards search on orthotics. There are plenty of threads with plenty of information here already.

FWIW I used orthotics for about 5 years and then gradually managed to give them up. It took me about 10 years to find orthotics that would work though. In that time I easily spent €1,000+ trying all sorts of off the shelf and 'custom' options.

I think that they can help but you're better off solving the source of the problem than using the sticking plaster that is orthotics.

If you do get orthotics I'd recommed using someone who has it as a speciality i.e. an orthotist/podiatrist. I went to an orthotist who committed to keep helping until I could run again. It took a while but we got there. You couldn't pay me to wear orthotics prescribed by a physio again - they'll typically do a 10 days course before they start prescribing. Orthotists and podiatrists study for 3-4 years.

I'm getting new shoes soon (my current ones are very old). There's still a small amount of pain so I might try and squeeze my GP for a referral to a physiotherapist in the new year. If not, I might just cough up myself. Would it make a difference if I opted for a podiatrist or a physio?

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Sounds horrendous, M! Hope things have improved.

I'm getting new shoes soon (my current ones are very old). There's still a small amount of pain so I might try and squeeze my GP for a referral to a physiotherapist in the new year. If not, I might just cough up myself. Would it make a difference if I opted for a podiatrist or a physio?

I'd get the new shoes first and see if they made a difference.

Broadly speaking I'd expect a physio to work on solving the source of the problem and a podiatrist to work on managing the problem. There is some overlap but as I said before if a physio felt that orthotics were required I'd want them to refer me to a podiatrist/orthotist. IME there are quite a number of physio's who will happily prescribe orthotics themselves but they don't know that they don't know what they're doing.

If it were me I would go to a physio and ask them to solve the root of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Clearlier wrote: »
    I'd get the new shoes first and see if they made a difference.

Broadly speaking I'd expect a physio to work on solving the source of the problem and a podiatrist to work on managing the problem. There is some overlap but as I said before if a physio felt that orthotics were required I'd want them to refer me to a podiatrist/orthotist. IME there are quite a number of physio's who will happily prescribe orthotics themselves but they don't know that they don't know what they're doing.

If it were me I would go to a physio and ask them to solve the root of the problem.

I was on work experience in a gym about a month after getting my orthotics. They have an in-house physio so I was working with him for a bit. I mentioned it to him and he said that if I had gone to him before going to the podiatrist, he'd have fixed it with just exercises and physio.

If I could turn the clock back, that's what I'd have done.

Advertisement