Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 9, Episode 11 - "Heaven Sent"

Options
  • 27-11-2015 6:16pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So looks like this weeks episode picks up straight from where the last left off, with the Doctor transported to places unknown & coming to terms with ... well, you know, that thing that happened to the person whose name sounds like, ugh, 'Lara'.

It's also going to be an extended episode, running at 65 minutes, and supposedly has
    nobody else in it bar Capaldi, that he's completely on his own. So I guess think the intro from 'Listen'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The episode Capaldi has been waiting for. F*cking incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

That was f*cking brilliant from start to end

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

Weird Filler episode before the season finale!
    "I'm not scared of hell, it is just heaven for bad people"

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Doctor Who at its very best.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Capaldi was very good in this. Groundhog day for Time Lords. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Pity he couldn't find a sledgehammer. Would have knocked a million or so years off the wall-shattering. Good episode though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

That was absolutely superb. A 40 minute soliloquay and he pulled it off excellently

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Amazing!

It's a rare hour of TV that can have you twig what's going on in the first minute and still grip you all the way through.

As dark as the programme gets, and probably as good as it gets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not to nitpick, but why didn't room 12 reset? :)

So was it all real or just in his head/confession dial and he never really died all those times?

Oh and anyone else notice the "Bird" writing looked different from different angles?

Great episode and nice cameo as well Next week should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That was really enjoyable. Not easy pulling off a whole hour episode with just one character (mostly, anyway)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Pity he couldn't find a sledgehammer. Would have knocked a million or so years off the wall-shattering. Good episode though.

Or maybe even a shovel? :) And how about not burying a clue underground, leave it a little more obvious maybe, save a smidgen of time? :)

Anyhow, very good episode, that was far from the 'monster of the week' (even though it kinda had one). Don't know if kids would have loved it, but I thought it was very good, Capaldi was excellent (it's almost 'of course' these days) and for want of a better word, it was 'good' to see the Doctor suffer the loss of a friend, and miss them. Even when she's gone, she helps him.

Anyone think 'Sherlock's Mind Palace' when the Doctor 'went' into the Tardis as he was slowly dying? I thought those scenes in the Tardis showed very well just how intelligent he is, and how he can always think of something (just like Missy said earlier in the season).

Back to Gallifrey for the finale, I don't think the Doctor is the Hybrid (no matter what he said). I think it's Me.

J.

Well he did say, it's "Me"

Haha. Brill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Das Kitty wrote: »

Haha. Brill.

Excellent, I never even got that! ;)

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Haha. Brill.

Great catch.

Excellent episode although I agree he should have probably communicated something about using a shovel to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,222 ✭✭✭corkie

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not to nitpick, but why didn't room 12 reset? :)

So was it all real or just in his head/confession dial and he never really died all those times?

Oh and anyone else notice the "Bird" writing looked different from different angles?

Great episode and nice cameo as well Next week should be good.

What I don't get is in last weeks episode he gave the confession dial to Ashildr(/"Me"). Just scanned through the episode again and he did.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

corkie wrote: »
    What I don't get is in last weeks episode he gave the confession dial to Ashildr(/"Me"). Just scanned through the episode again and he did.

Must have got transported into it. I reckon it was a real place though. The stars changing pattern would point to that.

I loved how grim this episode was. All this talk about death on Gallifrey. That everyone hangs around with the body and don't bury it until they're sure you're good and dead. And the woman from his nightmare, dying/dead and covered in veils, but the flies making themselves at home anyway? 'Orrible!

I can't stop being excited about the Doctor on Gallifrey. He hasn't been on Gallifrey since he was the War Doctor. I hope it stays unlocked after this. Let the stuffy feckers out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Very good episode.
    But, outside of the castle doesn’t reset. So why wasn’t there a Doctor Who skull mountain rising out from the water and almost reaching the stars after a billion or so years? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

jasonb wrote: »
    Back to Gallifrey for the finale, I don't think the Doctor is the Hybrid (no matter what he said). I think it's Me.

J.

Although since McGann has been established as the eighth Doctor, we now know the Doctor is half human on his Mother's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

T-Bird wrote: »
    Very good episode.
    But, outside of the castle doesn’t reset. So why wasn’t there a Doctor Who skull mountain rising out from the water and almost reaching the stars after a billion or so years? :P

Skeletal remains turn to ash over long periods of time. That's the excuse the crew gave when asked to build a mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Very 7th Doctor ish hinting that The Doctor is more than a Timelord that he is something else. I wonder and hope that Moffet is going in the same direction as the Cartmel Masterplan

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yep, that was pretty good. Can't see anyone but Capaldi pulling that one off.

Nice to see Clara show up very briefly. I thought the "fake" Clara was a bit obvious and it started to annoy me as the episode went on, not the blackboard stuff but the person standing there and running off screen but the tiny moment of real Clara broke my heart all over again, as did The Doctor saying it didn't matter what he did or didn't do because she would still be gone. I guess that puts the nail in the coffin of the Clara's been dead since the start but is really still alive!!! half theories we all had :D

P.S. Murray Gold does some phenomenal work with the music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Had to watch it in two parts, finishing this morning, but ... wow. That was a phenomenal episode. Direction, script, acting, music. The lot. Genuinely fantastic TV, regardless of genre

To the point where I'd like to think more on what I just watched, but first instincts make me wonder if that was one of the best episodes since the 2005 relaunch. Or the shows overall run.

It's funny, some of us have maybe gone from "I prefer the episodes where it's just two people talking." to "Feck two people, gimme one person talking!"

Also... is Capaldi Doctor 12? So his clue about Room 12 was also him literally being inside himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,303 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's funny, some of us have maybe gone from "I prefer the episodes where it's just two people talking." to "Feck two people, gimme one person talking!"

Also... is Capaldi Doctor 12? So his clue about Room 12 was also him literally being inside himself?

Yeah when I saw "I am in 12", I thought it would be revealed that he was essentially in his own subconscious and it would be about dealing with his guilt over Clara's death. Didn't cop he was in his confession dial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Brilliant episode, absolutely brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

The direction was amazing. Considering this could have been another corridor romp it was far from the running around the BBC props department c 1960 we got in No More Sleep and Under The Lake.

It never for a moment felt he wasn't on that strange movable pieces castle in the middle of a sea on a strange planet with a weird star system.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah when I saw "I am in 12", I thought it would be revealed that he was essentially in his own subconscious and it would be about dealing with his guilt over Clara's death. Didn't cop he was in his confession dial.

I guessed he was in the confession dial once we saw the levels of the castle moving like a dial.... also all the confessing he was doing. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Jaketherake

Must have got transported into it. I reckon it was a real place though. The stars changing pattern would point to that.

I loved how grim this episode was. All this talk about death on Gallifrey. That everyone hangs around with the body and don't bury it until they're sure you're good and dead. And the woman from his nightmare, dying/dead and covered in veils, but the flies making themselves at home anyway? 'Orrible!

I can't stop being excited about the Doctor on Gallifrey. He hasn't been on Gallifrey since he was the War Doctor. I hope it stays unlocked after this. Let the stuffy feckers out.

I think that means Clara is not really dead either.

• Advertisement

I think that means Clara is not really dead either.

Isn't he a couple of thousand years in the future though? Even if she wasn't dead.... well, she would be, or extremely old.

Advertisement