Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Bird Survey - Winter 2015/16

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Friend in Co Down gets them on his peanut feeders, lucky sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Some people swear by black sunflower seeds for Bullfinch but it never did it for me.

Sunflower seeds without shells, Bullfinches are lazy sods, we have an abundance of them as a result. If boardsies are in a city, Dublin or otherwise, 'Dealz' have bags of 400g for €1.49.

We have a young Sparrowhawk (I'm identifying the bird by the heavy striping on the tail) dive bombing our feeder every morning, trying to catch a groggy Blackbird or two. Unbelievable flying skill, almost seems impossible, in a built up garden.

At dusk yesterday 11 Long Tailed Tits flew across my garden one at a time. Despite them spending less that 5 seconds in my 'airspace', I think I can record them?;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

At dusk yesterday 11 Long Tailed Tits flew across my garden one at a time. Despite them spending less that 5 seconds in my 'airspace', I think I can record them?;)

You are not supposed to record fly overs. Only birds landing in and using the garden. An exception is allowed for birds of prey.

You are not supposed to record fly overs. Only birds landing in and using the garden. An exception is allowed for birds of prey.

They were spilling out of a tree that's on the border of my garden so I think they count. Anyway, they were back this morning and definitely landed in my garden (but only 9 this time).

Also had Blackcaps and Bullfinches (male and female of each) this morning, despite the weather.

And a Herring Gull on the bird table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭thyme

Sixteen to eighteen Greenfinches at the feeders this year, to many Goldfinches and Chaffinches to count , one Redpoll the last few days.

Great, Blue, and Coal tits about four of each. Four and sometimes six Blackbirds in to clean-up and for the apples.

One Dunnock up on the seed feeder trying to empty it, but that's the Coal tits jop :D. One Mistle thrush in to protect the berry's on the holly bush for itself and god help anything that comes near it.

And I have to keep the kitchen window closed or the Robin is in looking for it's food.
    No Siskins yet.

Missed a Sparrowhawk swooping into the garden yesterday, luckily my wife got a good look at it so it's added to the record sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

I have a decent array of seeds out in 5 different feeders. One is exclusively full sunflower seeds.

No peanuts though or no niger apart from those included in the mix I get from the garden centre( peanuts and niger seem very expensive for voracious eaters)

I had a 10 minute visit yesterday from a Redpoll -( photo on the photo thread). Never called back:eek:

Today I had a 5 minute visit from a goldfinch - looked around for a while and then flew away:eek:

The three species of tits, the chaffinches, the greenfinches and sparrows are all loving the seeds and i have dozens of these every day.

The pigeons/doves/starlings do a great job on the seeds that fall to the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

I'm not having the same intensity of feeding activity at the bird feeders so far this winter - perhaps because of the mildness of the weather, leading to more favorable foraging conditions and a still abundant food supply in nature ? Usual stuff in the feeders, nuts, nyger, mixed seeds, but lesser number and variety of takers so far ??
    I've even had chaffinches bursting into short snatches of song these mornings ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I'm not having the same intensity of feeding activity at the bird feeders so far this winter - perhaps because of the mildness of the weather, leading to more favorable foraging conditions and a still abundant food supply in nature ? Usual stuff in the feeders, nuts, nyger, mixed seeds, but lesser number and variety of takers so far ??
    I've even had chaffinches bursting into short snatches of song these mornings ??

I'd say thats it alright. In a normal year the food shortage in the wider countryside doesnt really hit until late January, and we've had an exceptionally mild winter so far. I've had a constant number of finchs etc, but definitely lower than previous years despite a similar feeding regime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

keps wrote: »
    I have a decent array of seeds out in 5 different feeders. One is exclusively full sunflower seeds.

No peanuts though or no niger apart from those included in the mix I get from the garden centre( peanuts and niger seem very expensive for voracious eaters)

I had a 10 minute visit yesterday from a Redpoll -( photo on the photo thread). Never called back:eek:

Today I had a 5 minute visit from a goldfinch - looked around for a while and then flew away:eek:

The three species of tits, the chaffinches, the greenfinches and sparrows are all loving the seeds and i have dozens of these every day.

The pigeons/doves/starlings do a great job on the seeds that fall to the ground.
    I found the Finches loved the sunflower hearts and Nijer seeds, ate them all in no time, ...I'm easing off on these and offering a seed mix until the weather declines, continuing on with Peanuts and I also have those coconut shells full of fat and seed mix, so I shall save a few bob until the better food is needed.

I'd like to attract Sparrows as they used nest in the gutter outside my bedroom window when I was young and I just love the noise they make.

nb Redpoll and Siskin love the Peanuts and Goldfinches the Nijer or Sunflower.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any redwings about??

I think this is a Redwing, photoed a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty sure I saw a flight of 4 or 5 yesterday but too far away to photograph, deep in the hedgerow.

zumgk1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Redwing it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I just noticed on the RSPB ad on TV they have illustrated survey sheets for their Big Garden Birdwatch. Might come in handy for anyone doing the BWI one with kids.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/schoolswatch/resources/surveysheets.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Just filling in the form for this week- I see that the very top of the list is the Sparrowhawk and very bottom is the Reed bunting -both visitors this week!

I hope they don't meet up!

24341710401_19f0de8e44_o.jpg

( sorry about the botched match up it's half eleven and I've had a few beers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Bejubby wrote: »
    Does anybody know how to attract bullfinches to the garden?
    At the moment I have about 10 Goldfinch 4 greenfinch, blue tits great tits Robins sparrows wrens.

Never seen them at feeders either but if you grow forget-me-knots they will come for the seed. Also like other seeds, fennel and teasels, but ya they only seem to forage in flower beds etc. Pity because they are stunning looking birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

Had my first Redpoll of this winter in the garden today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

My one Redpoll was joined by one Siskin today another first of the winter for me.

I have Siskin, Chaffinch and Goldfinch in profusion. I'd
    say more than a dozen of each at any given time. Redpoll: there are usally a handful around. Other birds in lesser numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Just had a big female Sparrowhawk in the garden - it attacked a male Blackbird, both of them wrestling in a dense hedge for a minute or two. Eventually the Blackbird got free and the Sparrowhawk flew off (possibly put off chasing the Blackbird further due to the cat which had appeared and was watching closely).

Unfortunately the Blackbird died soon after from its injuries, and the Sparrowhawk missed out on a meal!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jolatacqce

I too had a visit from a hen sparrowhawk about 4wks. ago,and since then she is a regular visitor,3-4 times a day.I'v seen her take several small birds, mainly gold finches,linnets and redpolls.She attacks the feeders when the birds are inside feeding,the birds panic and she manages to grab them through the protective cage surrounding the feeders.Iv been feeding them for a number of years but now I wonder is it time to stop giving the hawk an easy meal.I look forward to your thoughts on my quandry? PS.I'v moved the feeders from the centre of the garden, close to a wall and some shrubbery,but this did not deter the hawk she still manages to get them.Dont get me wrong,I enjoy seeing her,but is the price too high? As I started typing this,she came and took away one of the few siskins to visit this year,and she came back again now,looking for more,but was unsuccessful.approx 10 min.interval.

I too had a Sparrowhawk visit the other day, I assume their activity increases once they have young to feed.

My feeders are 6 foot up due to the Cat...they could be easy prey to a Hawk being that visible. Two of them are within shrubs so are probably fairly safe but the third is very exposed and I'll remove it if becomes a problem.

Jolatacqce, I think if you want to discourage the Sparrowhawk then you have to take your feeders in for a week or two alright. The smaller birds will disperse and the Sparrowhawk will probably focus elsewhere or will at least stop visiting your garden so often.
    I too had a Sparrowhawk visit the other day, I assume their activity increases once they have young to feed.

Yeah, but that's not for another three months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jolatacqce

@Open Your Eyes,I was thinking the same,but hoping I wouldn't have to.I'll try to get a picture first then I'll stop feeding.I thought the cats were a nuisance,but they are harmless compared to this sparrowhawk. Thank you for the advice.

jolatacqce wrote: »
    @Open Your Eyes,I was thinking the same,but hoping I wouldn't have to.I'll try to get a picture first then I'll stop feeding.I thought the cats were a nuisance,but they are harmless compared to this sparrowhawk. Thank you for the advice.

Don't forget the Sparrowhawk is a native species to Ireland just doing what it needs to do to survive - it's nature. A cat on the other hand is not a native species and isn't killing because it needs to. There's a big difference.

I think you're being a bit selective there. A cat is only doing what his instinct tells him too and the real villain of the piece is us for setting up the birds to be killed.

I think you're being a bit selective there. A cat is only doing what his instinct tells him too and the real villain of the piece is us for setting up the birds to be killed.

A cat is doing what its instinct tells it to do alright, for sure. And its definitely our fault for bringing them here and giving them food/shelter which keeps their numbers artificially high and ensures they're in very good condition and so are able to hunt at their leisure.

That being said, my point stands that a native predator needs to kill, a cat that is being fed etc does not need to kill. Denying a Sparrowhawk a meal (e.g. by scaring it off a kill) can impact the survival of that Sparrowhawk. Scaring a cat away from a bird is has its eyes on will not affect the survival of that cat.

Because my cat was staking out the bird feeders, I feed him in the morning and keep him in until dusk. If I had a Sparrowhawk problem, I'd have to take action too, and that could only be taking down my feeders. With both predators, it's us causing the problem.

• Advertisement

Because my cat was staking out the bird feeders, I feed him in the morning and keep him in until dusk. If I had a Sparrowhawk problem, I'd have to take action too, and that could only be taking down my feeders. With both predators, it's us causing the problem.

Yeah - but the fallout from a cat predating garden birds is worse because it doesn't benefit any native species. There is at least some positive from a Sparrowhawk getting a meal, whether you like them or not. There is no positive from a cat getting a garden bird. Absolutely none.

Some birds of prey have a success rate of between 1 in 5 and 1 in 10 - they live a hard life, in addition to the problems caused by loss of habitat and prey species. Cats, by comparison, are pampered. And like I said, whether they get the bird or not will make no difference to them whereas it makes the world of difference to the Sparrowhawk.

That being said, if someone feels they need to move their feeders to stop Sparrowhawks getting an easy meal I can certainly understand that. Just highlighting that there is a world of difference between Sparrowhawk and Cat predation.

Advertisement