Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Bus Driver Insults Disabled Student

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'd say it is a stressful job in fairness, trying to manoeuvre a big awkward vehicle along narrow city streets and having to deal with chancers, troublemakers and idiot road users on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

eviltwin wrote: »
    Whatever happened to just following procedures in this case and waiting to see what happened. Why do people feel the need to run to a newspaper before things have run their course?

I wouldn't trust DB to be impartial. Why should he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust DB to be impartial. Why should he?
    There you go eviltwin, bet you didn't think you'd get a response as excellent as that. Forget about defamation, due process, two sides to a story - one person doesn't trust Dublin Bus to be impartial so why should this passenger?

Azalea wrote: »
    There you go eviltwin, bet you didn't think you'd get a response as excellent as that. Forget about defamation, due process, two sides to a story - one person doesn't trust Dublin Bus to be impartial so why should this passenger?

If the driver feels he has been wronged there are legal avenues he can go down to remedy that but that will force the issue out of DB's hands.

I don't know why the passenger should make a complaint to DB surely contacting solicitor should be the first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Fair point, but most of the people defending the driver are saying that the passenger deserved it (maybe so), but it doesn't work like that when you're working.

I deal with an insane amount of ****heads every day on the phone (not customer service). But I can hardly say "I'm going to take my time helping you now since you were a smart c*nt, put the f**king phone down if you don't like it). Work is work. No matter how wrong the customer is, you can't abuse them. Unless you're employed by an awful company who is willing to overlook that sort of stuff.

As I said, 90% (at least) of DB drivers are great. But anyone who takes DB regularly knows there is a small % who are absolute dickheads and will happily ruin your day and pretend nothing happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Why does everyone have to go straight to the papers when something mildly upsetting may have happened to them.That **** should have no place in a newspaper until its been proven .

I could well believe the driver called the lad a smart **** but doubt the rest of the story.Chased after him and threatening to smash the phone over his head FFS go to ****:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

If he was there he was driving the bus

Don't need 'em bud! Don't live in that ****hole anymore! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    If the driver feels he has been wronged there are legal avenues he can go down to remedy that but that will force the issue out of DB's hands.

I don't know why the passenger should make a complaint to DB surely contacting solicitor should be the first step.

Why on earth would you contact a solicitor first?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There's no need for this. Cut it out please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

I have mixed feelings about Dublin bus drivers.

One morning a few years back when I lived there a driver wouldn't wait 30 seconds for a blind woman to get on the bus (me and my ex used walk her to the stop some mornings from our house if we met her by the lights, she used get the bus every day so unless it was his first day he would have known of her). Ill never ever forget him telling me he wont wait and I told him he was a prick and got off the bus.
    That being said the ****e they put up with from the scumbags up there is unreal, saw several cases of it firsthand, wouldn't do that job for all the tea in a country what produces lots of tea

• Advertisement

Yakkyda wrote: »
    there was a long haired ginger French guy that used to drive on the 41 routes a few years back, a great character, great craic no matter what. Once seen him kick the dashboard after overloading the bus on a Friday evening into town(to shut the overlead buzzer up) , because he didn't want to leave anyone at the bus stops. An absolute gent, anyone that has come across him would surely remember him.
    Oh my god, forgot about him - fantastic fella, so lovely!
    moneymad wrote: »
    waaaaaaaaaa

Stand up for yourself and stop looking to get offended at every turn. He was obviously having a bad day, get over it.
    If it's true, no, the driver is at fault, and objecting to that is not looking to get offended or being a baby.
    Mesrine65 wrote: »
    My disabled son had his Free Travel Pass confiscated by a Bus Eireann bus driver during the school holidays, despite him explaining that he had applied for & was waiting for the new Public Services Card.

He effectively left my son stranded, without a way of getting home, as he had no money with him.

Complained to Bus Eireann via e-mail & have yet to receive an reply/explanation/apology.
    Use social media instead of email - tweet or public post to Facebook. Be polite about it and bear in mind the social media staff won't know about the incident, aren't responsible for it, and will be limited in what they can say, as they will only have your word for it. But that is likely to get actioned more promptly than email.
    moneyman wrote: »
    Fair point, but most of the people defending the driver are saying that the passenger deserved it (maybe so), but it doesn't work like that when you're working.

I deal with an insane amount of ****heads every day on the phone (not customer service). But I can hardly say "I'm going to take my time helping you now since you were a smart c*nt, put the f**king phone down if you don't like it). Work is work. No matter how wrong the customer is, you can't abuse them. Unless you're employed by an awful company who is willing to overlook that sort of stuff.

As I said, 90% (at least) of DB drivers are great. But anyone who takes DB regularly knows there is a small % who are absolute dickheads and will happily ruin your day and pretend nothing happened.
    But what I'm saying is, we don't actually know the true details of the engagement, so we don't have much grounds for judgement of the driver OR passenger. All we can do is speculate - in relation to both - but not decide just because of our personal prejudices (e.g. being anti public sector) to choose which one to believe because it suits us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    My disabled son had his Free Travel Pass confiscated by a Bus Eireann bus driver during the school holidays, despite him explaining that he had applied for & was waiting for the new Public Services Card.

He effectively left my son stranded, without a way of getting home, as he had no money with him.

Complained to Bus Eireann via e-mail & have yet to receive an reply/explanation/apology.
    There was a lot of that on Bus Éireann services earlier in the year with some drivers believing that the old passes had been withdrawn completely once the new passes started to appear.

They listened to canteen gossip instead of waiting for a memo to be posted on the notice boards about it and the funny thing is they would get into serious trouble if a complaint was made especially about a child being left stranded! It says a lot about some drivers that they would drop their colleagues in it so deeply with their idle gossip.

As for Dublin Bus drivers, they do put up with some crap from passengers but more so from other road users including cyclists who don't appreciate the danger posed by these massive buses and especially taxis who think it is ok to stop dead in front of a bus in traffic as they pull in to pick up or drop off a passenger.

This type of thing happens when a driver lets all the crap of the shift build up and overflow onto some innocent person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

No joke - was living in the Russell Square area, travelling to Fulham broadway in most cases - they were great!

Was in that part of London too and they were really friendly.

Why on earth would you contact a solicitor first?

Why on earth wouldn't you? If a person insulted my character and threatened violence against me why would I go to their employer before my solicitor?

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

If he was there he was driving the bus

Or perhaps a passenger that witnessed the alleged situation?. Most likely a few people witnessed this incident , if it actually happened I'm surprised that no footage has emerged or is there a picture of the bus driver. It seems like pure bull**** to me tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Use social media instead of email - tweet or public post to Facebook. Be polite about it and bear in mind the social media staff won't know about the incident, aren't responsible for it, and will be limited in what they can say, as they will only have your word for it. But that is likely to get actioned more promptly than email.

Dublin bus will delete any complaint that's put on their facebook page, they say its only for news.

Just another reminder of why they're one of the most unpopular companys in Ireland

Had a look there - they take queries on Twitter. It must be annoying for the person manning Twitter to get blamed for a particular bus being delayed, but still good to give feedback and put queries to them that they can look into.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bambi wrote: »
    Dublin bus will delete any complaint that's put on their facebook page, they say its only for news.

Just another reminder of why they're one of the most unpopular companys in Ireland

Are they?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Had a look there - they take queries on Twitter. It must be annoying for the person manning Twitter to get blamed for a particular bus being delayed, but still good to give feedback and put queries to them that they can look into.
    They really need to sort their **** out when it comes to timetables. It seems no effort at all is put into matching the timetables.

• Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

Oh my god, forgot about him - fantastic fella, so lovely!

So glad somebody here remembers him, he was/is an absolute star, such a nice guy, always in great form. Thanks azalea!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

As a bus driver here.

Those old school paper passes need to be gone already. It should be new cards only. Too much fraud going on with them.

Generally when someone shows me a pass and they sort of look like they would have it then no problem. But the ones that are young, look perfectly fine etc. They get looked at.

Once had a foreign bloke get on the bus and flash his paper pass. I called him back to check his pass and he ran off the bus down the road !

But more enforcement and checking is needed also.

For this incident I'd wait for the outcome and the facts before passing judgement.

Also I've asked about that 769 a week wage. It doesn't really exist! I've brought it up with unions etc and feck all has been done about it. The actual wage is about 500 - 560 a week after tax etc. which is making me think twice as i can make the same money elsewhere with less crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

As a bus driver here.

Those old school paper passes need to be gone already. It should be new cards only. Too much fraud going on with them.

Generally when someone shows me a pass and they sort of look like they would have it then no problem. But the ones that are young, look perfectly fine etc. They get looked at.

Once had a foreign bloke get on the bus and flash his paper pass. I called him back to check his pass and he ran off the bus down the road !

But more enforcement and checking is needed also.

For this incident I'd wait for the outcome and the facts before passing judgement.

Also I've asked about that 769 a week wage. It doesn't really exist! I've brought it up with unions etc and feck all has been done about it. The actual wage is about 500 - 560 a week after tax etc. which is making me think twice as i can make the same money elsewhere with less crap.

I hope you dont drink Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime while driving the bus?

You'd probably spill loads of it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

foggy_lad wrote: »

As for Dublin Bus drivers, they do put up with some crap from passengers but more so from other road users including cyclists who don't appreciate the danger posed by these massive buses and especially taxis who think it is ok to stop dead in front of a bus in traffic as they pull in to pick up or drop off a passenger.

There have been a few comments on how stressful their job is and cyclists being some special stress. That is their job and if they can't handle it don't do it. From my experience most bus drivers can handle their job dealing with all traffic. There are of course those who can't and aggressively bully other road users.
    Here is an example of a bus driver veering into a cycle lane and being aggressive. I know some people seem to think the cyclist is in the wrong but he is in a cycle lane that the driver is not meant to enter as it is a continuous white and isn't indicating. Then happily says he will kill the cyclist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwqRqIvo4GU

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

That video appears to show a cyclist deliberately putting themselves at risk in order to try out their new GoPro camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Like hell did the bus driver chase him up the road.

The rest of it might be true, but who knows.

Like hell did the bus driver chase him up the road.

The rest of it might be true, but who knows.

we need to erect cycling tunnels or soemthing to protect everyone else from cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

That video appears to show a cyclist deliberately putting themselves at risk in order to try out their new GoPro camera.

C'mon lads keep up there....the clip in Ray Palmer's post is 18 months old now.....our Go-Pro man has not alone survived,but has actually thrived out there on the mean-streets...

Fair point on the "Deliberately" issue though....kinda begs the question as to why other cyclists can progress through the Same Locations as this gent,yet experience no problems ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saimakt6hrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR-MlmcuCl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq9K4Z3Nnbk

Poor oul Mrs Go-Pro must get some earful when her man eventually gets home...?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

As a bus driver here.......

.......Also I've asked about that 769 a week wage. It doesn't really exist! I've brought it up with unions etc and feck all has been done about it. The actual wage is about 500 - 560 a week after tax etc. which is making me think twice as i can make the same money elsewhere with less crap.

I'd have to disagree with this interpretation of wage rates.

Apart from post 2012 drivers pay scale being extended from 4 years to 6,the start and end points remain unchanged and apply across the board.

One significant misunderstanding,judging from your post,is your use of the AFTER TAX figure.

This net figure is different for each individual depending upon their circumstances and is in no-way,an indicator of the overall wage rate/scale.

I doubt very much whether ANY employee,anywhere,can ever be said to be satisfied with their take-home pay !!!!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    There have been a few comments on how stressful their job is and cyclists being some special stress. That is their job and if they can't handle it don't do it. From my experience most bus drivers can handle their job dealing with all traffic. There are of course those who can't and aggressively bully other road users.
    Here is an example of a bus driver veering into a cycle lane and being aggressive. I know some people seem to think the cyclist is in the wrong but he is in a cycle lane that the driver is not meant to enter as it is a continuous white and isn't indicating. Then happily says he will kill the cyclist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwqRqIvo4GU
    "If you find your job stressful, don't do it" is very simplistic, and could be said about any job. If people took this approach there would be no nurses or doctors or teachers or chefs. People can be good at their job, love their job, yet still have instances of stress due to time constraints and lack of resources and dealing with idiots - it's life. And this should be respected and empathised with in my opinion. It does not give anyone in any job the right to be rude or bullying though, of course, but it is worth bearing in mind if they're not being very cheerful.

Advertisement