Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Just don't get injured and you'll be grand without it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Easy said if you've no dependants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Easy said if you've no dependants.
    We're talking about health insurance, not life insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

And don't change it once you get it if you're middle aged or old. Pre existing conditions. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I got a letter yesterday from my health insurance where they expressed their delight to be able to reduce my costs. It went from €485 a month to €483.50 a month.

W@nkers... This is only 1 part of the insurance, they pulled the same stunt last year where the price went down about €2 but a week later I got a letter regarding the other part of the insurance where it went up €3. I should expect the same letter next week!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I've seen enough of public service to hang onto private for dear life. Even for waiting lists it's amazing. I had to have a minor operation during the year. It was nothing life threatening but better to get it over with. Went to the doctor she explains I could be "a year to eighteen months waiting to see a consultant". Reminded her that I had private and bingo, it was all done and dusted with me on the mend within six weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My husband would have been waiting to be given a date for surgery years ago in severe pain for six weeks without his health insurance. That's 6 weeks to get a date, not 6 weeks until the surgery. With health insurance he had the surgery within 2 weeks and was able to get on with his life. He has a procedure every couple of months that gives him some relief from pain and that's all paid for by his health insurance. He just calls up and asks for an appointment when he needs it. He's had multiple surgeries covered in full and soon he'll be covered for surgery that would cost €15000 if we had to pay, and he was able to schedule it for a date that suited him. It's no exaggeration to say that if he was relying on the public system his quality of life would be severely diminished. You really don't know the value of health insurance until you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm over 40, didn't have private medical insurance before the rules changed so I guess I'll never have private medical insurance seeing as I'll be priced out of the market.

I reckon the over 35 rule will have unintended consequences. It was meant to encourage everybody to rush out and take out health insurance. What it probably does is stop the majority of over 35's from ever taking out private health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Health insurance is the biggest scam in this country next to irish water.

Right. So tell me why I'm pissing against the wind shelling out 292.28Euros per month to cover myself the Missus & 2 kids?

I'd love to know how to cut this bill out of my life with no problems.

Tell me now!!!!!!!
    Add your reply here.

If God forbid any of your family needs some procedure done and you're a public patient you'll soon see how much you're pissing against the wind trying to get them seen can be a 2 year wait for a consultant and another year or 2 if you need an operation. Health insurance is a waste of money until you need to use it and if you do you'll be glad you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

screamer wrote: »

If God forbid any of your family needs some procedure done and you're a public patient you'll soon see how much you're pissing against the wind trying to get them seen can be a 2 year wait for a consultant and another year or 2 if you need an operation. Health insurance is a waste of money until you need to use it and if you do you'll be glad you have it.

Just over a year ago, my mother fell over and broke her arm. She didn't have insurance and went to a public hospital.

In the waiting room, we got talking to another woman there with a broken arm. She did have private health insurance. Her injury was pretty much the same as my mothers.

They both were put into the same ward. They both had the same doctor. They both had the operation on the same day. They both received the exact same care.

Insurance made sod all of a difference there.

Now I'm not saying that is always the case, but here is an instance where insurance made no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Just over a year ago, my mother fell over and broke her arm. She didn't have insurance and went to a public hospital.

In the waiting room, we got talking to another woman there with a broken arm. She did have private health insurance. Her injury was pretty much the same as my mothers.

They both were put into the same ward. They both had the same doctor. They both had the operation on the same day. They both received the exact same care.

Now I'm not saying that is always the case, but here is an instance where insurance made no difference.

I had heart problems 10 years ago and ended up in the Mater Private, I had health insurance, which they actually disputed paying and said I had to pay the 25K bill myself. They eventually paid it although I think this was due to the fact I was in a large company that paid for everyone's with them and might have moved insurer if they didn't cover me.

My mate had a similar problem last year, never had a bit of insurance in his life. Was in the same ward in the same hospital and got the same care, difference being he doesn't have to pay for his meds every month like I do, nor did he have the stress of possibly being faced with a 25K bill

it is at the stage that you have an accident and the first one you ring is the insurer, not the ambulance. Insurers make things complicated on purpose and change plans so often to confuse people, my work policy changes every December, I always make sure to check what is covered, though thankfully it is part of my work package and my family are covered

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It makes not wit of difference if you have a serious illness you will get treated in the public system, Where it does make a difference is with chronic illnesses and orthopaedic surgery.

I had a serious illness last year and had a mixture of public and private treatments due to convenience. A privet en suit room is nice when you not the best and the private hospitably was quite, other that that there was no difference in the treatment I revived and that is as it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I get mine through work for free (well, must pay BIK). Never used it. Good to have it though I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Health insurance is the biggest scam in this country next to irish water.

That's your opinion and frankly it's a silly, childish, irresponsible one.

Anyone with a half decent plan knows the value of health insurance.

In one year alone I got value for probably a decade of premia, never mind not having to deal with waiting lists and the insanity of public hospitals.

It's a question of priorities

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I had heart problems 10 years ago and ended up in the Mater Private, I had health insurance, which they actually disputed paying and said I had to pay the 25K bill myself. They eventually paid it although I think this was due to the fact I was in a large company that paid for everyone's with them and might have moved insurer if they didn't cover me.

My mate had a similar problem last year, never had a bit of insurance in his life. Was in the same ward in the same hospital and got the same care, difference being he doesn't have to pay for his meds every month like I do, nor did he have the stress of possibly being faced with a 25K bill

it is at the stage that you have an accident and the first one you ring is the insurer, not the ambulance. Insurers make things complicated on purpose and change plans so often to confuse people, my work policy changes every December, I always make sure to check what is covered, though thankfully it is part of my work package and my family are covered

Please explain how a fully public patient ends up in the mater private and doesn't pay a cent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

What about cancer.

Azalea wrote: »
    What about cancer.

Public or private you'll get the exact same care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,538 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How does health insurance actually work in Ireland? I've spent the entirety of my career in the UK where we have the NHS so most people don't bother with cover.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Personally i wouldn't be without it...

for the 2 of us our cover costs me €280.. (€1,680 each per year) which is mental but i wouldn't get rid of it.

I'm having injections in my knees worth €1,500..(covered by my health insurance) in the beacon in January, I called cappagh and public = 22 months wait to see someone :eek: never mind getting the injections.

My mum was passed away 3 years ago had cancer, she was in a private room for 2 months... the lack of disturbance / noise was a huge help to her. Would never have had that without insurance.

i know another person also has cancer, is in Vincents and public... she has to wait 3/4 weeks for get her scans... then a further 2/3 for the results of her scans - disgraceful. My mum never waited any longer than a few days.

that's just my experience. wouldn't risk having to go into the Irish health system without insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

smash wrote: »
    Public or private you'll get the exact same care.

Yes you will get the same chemo, care from nurses but you dont get the same level of care when it comes to MRI's, CAT scans and PET scans... private room... these are all imperative when your that sick
    ....from my experience that is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

My old man had the top whack at health insurance.

He got treated once in the Beacon hospital, but said the getting there was hell.

He had cancer and still got the same treatment and care he got elsewhere. Had a private room for a few weeks, but got stir crazy and asked to move to a ward to have others to talk with.

When he was very bad, near death, went to Milford Hospice in Limerick, which inst anything to do with insurance.

All in all, not sure what it does!

cocker5 wrote: »
    Yes you will get the same chemo, care from nurses but you dont get the same level of care when it comes to MRI's, CAT scans and PET scans... private room... these are all imperative when your that sick
    ....from my experience that is.

I know cancer patients who have used both the public and private healthcare system and the only difference is the room you get. Private patients don't get priority on MRI or CT machines when it comes to cancer. Even with the room, if you're in danger of catching infection you will get a room on your own anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

BattleCorp wrote: »

In an emergency it doesn't , I'm not going to dispute that. But any other time it does. I fell on wet leaves a while ago and see a physiotherapist for the resulting injury. I get €40 of the €50 cost back from VHI. That's what it matters for.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭All My Stars Aligned

One area it makes a huge difference is mental health. If you have to be admitted to hospital and have no health insurance god help you. The public mental health hospitals are an absolute disgrace . Even trying to get to be seen as an out-patient the waiting lists are horridness. When you are seen it's a different doctor each visit. There is no continuity of care. When going private there is no waiting list as such, you may have to wait a couple of days for a bed. You actually get to see the consultant regularly (twice a week in my experience). I've struggled with my mental health since my early teens so for me its a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

IF you are in an accident ,or have some health problem,
    the health insurance will cover the cost of hospital ,operations etc
    ON the public health system you will maybe wait 6 months plus to see a consultant and be put on a long waiting list for any non urgent operation .And you,ll get a private room .
    THE standard public wards are not ideal ,
    look up msra ireland hospital,s .
    So 1000,s of people in the uk and ireland pay for health insurance ,
    there must be a reason for that .
    i know when you are young ,you might think i,ll always be in perfect health .
    A broken arm is a simple thing to treat .
    having insurance means you,ll see a consultant in a short time ,
    if its needed .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

I spoke to my private health ins co.

I explained that I will be spending my yearly fee on a holiday and will feel a lot healthier for it.

It's a scam. Had it for years, total waste if money.
    I wish I had saved all that money for when I needed a consultant.

Cancelled it, and delighted i did

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

That's your opinion and frankly it's a silly, childish, irresponsible one.

Anyone with a half decent plan knows the value of health insurance.

In one year alone I got value for probably a decade of premia, never mind not having to deal with waiting lists and the insanity of public hospitals.

It's a question of priorities
    I agree totally. I developed rheumatoid arthritis early this year. I got a referral for a consultant and saw him in 3 weeks. The wait time for the same doctor as a public patient is 2 years.
    My treatment has started now and would cost €15000 per annum. My insurance covers it totally.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

How does health insurance actually work in Ireland? I've spent the entirety of my career in the UK where we have the NHS so most people don't bother with cover.
    It gets you subsidised access to private treatment.

To give you an example I had an accident abroad in 2012 and wrecked my knee.
    I got initial treatment abroad, and when I got back my doctor advised I needed to see a consultant. On the equivalent of the NHS here, I would have waited about 12 months to see a consultant.

WIth my health insurance I was able to see one within a week, my private MRIs were fully covered as were most of my treatment such as steroid injections at 750 a pop and my private physio was covered at approx. 60% of the cost.

Each visit to my consultant was covered also to a degree.

So with private health insurance, I got seen quicker, was able to afford the treatment I needed, and got back to work quicker as a result.

THere are also private emergency departments which health insurance will cover some of the cost of, so if you need to go to a and e for something non urgent e.g. I'd a heart scare recently and needed a couple of tests, you can choose to go private and claim at the end of the year rather than wait maybe 12 hours for a blood test in a public department.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭worded

I know two famalies

First rich. Have 4 kids. To start with there is no private kids hospital so that's a total scam. They were never able to recoup any med expenses for anything. Cancelled all policy's. very intelligent people - both famalies

Family 2. Well off. 0 cover. Husband needed heart bypass and promptly got it.

Holiday ins - yes

Med insurance - save your € and use that pool to go see consultants when you need them. They love cash

The scare tactics used on multiple ads on TV are disgusting.
    You pay or die on a trolley.

On my above post when I told them I'd feel healthier after a holiday with a cancelled ins policy, she laughed.

I've wasted so so much money on med Bull sh1t

If everyone young cancelled / didn't sign up the govt would have to act.

Instead its dirty scare tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Superhorse

I'll take my chances. On the public system and needed to see a consultant couple of years ago and the wait time was 5 months I think so just paid private to see him within a week cost 200. Considering insurance would be around 800 for the year for the crap cover I'm happy out. Yeah I might need it if something serious comes up but no way can we afford to drop 800 a year with all the stealth taxes and the such government keep throwing upon the family. Any savings I have go to the kids college fees so they can get educated and get out of this dump of a country.

Advertisement