Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London 2016 Games

Options
  • 25-11-2015 3:35pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sunday 2nd October
    Colts @ Jags

Sunday 23rd October
    one of NFC East @ Rams

Sunday 30th October
    Redskins @ Bengals

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

still no bloody titans

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

No Packers (yet).

2016 was the big hope with them scheduled to play the Jags.

Might as well just burn Wembley to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

two at wembley one at twickenham.prefer wembley myself

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Depending on who the Rams play from the NFC east the skins could be the first team to play back to back game in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Disappointing set of games this year imo, none that really catch the eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Depending on who the Rams play from the NFC east the skins could be the first team to play back to back game in London.

Which i assume they hope won;t happen, Skins on consecutive weeks is not gonna be an easy sell.

As least i'll be following the finish to the eagles season with a bit more interest than i thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Whats rough estimate cost of tickets?

Colts Jags game for example

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Gah. Still no attractive matches for neutrals. Redskins-Bengals the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

wembley not cheap in the sense that to get a decent seat along the side,

probably stg 80 minimum.

behind the goal lines,cheaper,but too far from the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

charkee wrote: »
    wembley not cheap in the sense that to get a decent seat along the side,

probably stg 80 minimum.

behind the goal lines,cheaper,but too far from the pitch.

We bought the cheapo tickets this year- I think £40 each and we about 10 rows from the back but pretty centered along the 50 yrd line and you couldn't have asked for better seat really. It was great, any closer and sure you wouldn't actually see the game.

Pretty disappointed no Packers- was really hoping I might get to see them but oh well. Skins-Bengals will prob be it for me, I have a soft spot for the Bengals anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

There's no such thing as a bad seat in Wembley. The view from everywhere is great and there's so much space.

A little Wembley fact for you - the seat in Wembley with the least leg room has more leg room then the seat at the old Wembley with the most leg room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

As a Rams fan I'm delighted. Didn't make it over in 2012 but will definitely make the trip next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I don't think they're bad games. I might nip over for one or three.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Whats the thinking (official or unofficial) behind the decision to use Twickenham for one of the games?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

Whats the thinking (official or unofficial) behind the decision to use Twickenham for one of the games?

i think they want multiple backups in case anything happens with wembley so they have the two of them and they will have spurs new stadium once thats build also leaves multiple possible doors open if they want to move a franchise there in years to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I like 2 of the three games. Redskins v Bengals is the standout. The Bengals have a legit shot to make/win the Superbowl this year.
    Rams v NFC East mystery team - I believe it's whichever team finishes in the same place as the Rams finish in the west, so we could be looking at any of the NFC East teams, but realistically, Redskins/Dallas or Philly. They couldn't put the Skins on two weeks running, could they?

Actually, even the Jags v Colts game may not be bad. The Colts have underperformed so far this year, but I would expect them to be contending again next year, while the Jags have actually not been awful and they might be in contention themselves by the time of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Leverage. They don't want Wembley thinking they have a monopoly on the games and pricing the NFL out

The Twickenham game is the most interesting to me as I'm unlikely to visit that stadium at any other time

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Mike Florio on Pro football talk had an interesting take on this.

His theory was that the long-term strategy is for the NFL to extend the season to a 17th game and that extra game would be at an international site.
    So you would have 3 London sites, add to that Toronto, Tokyo and Mexico city, you could possibly add another Canadian city, Rio perhaps, and a game or two in Germany.

What would also happen is that an extra by week would be added to compensate for the extra game, possibly drop a pre season game too, and extend the calendar so that the Superbowl is played on President's day weekend, President's day is the 3rd Monday in February.

He coveted it in his podcast a few weeks back.

It's not a crazy idea.

It's far saner than a team in London if you ask me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

agree, i think you can add Dublin to the mix aswell.. (welll id like to think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

agree, i think you can add Dublin to the mix aswell.. (welll id like to think!)

If you are trying to find venues for 16 games then yea Dublin may be in the mix along with Amsterdam, Paris and the likes of Milan/Rome/Turin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Pretty sure the redeveloped White Hart Lane has an agreement with the NFL also in relation to hosting some games from (2018?) onwards also.

ESPN Report
    2 games per year for 10 years apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

When do individual tickets for games go on sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭nerd69

i believe whoever loses the giants-eagles game this weekend will be the rams game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Yes that's right

I don't like losing to the Eagles but a trip to London to face the Rams is far better than a trip to Seattle, playing 2nd placed teams next year and a worst draft pick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Massive giants fan folks..

When do tickets go on sale for the Twickenham game?? And any idea on the price range??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Massive giants fan folks..

When do tickets go on sale for the Twickenham game?? And any idea on the price range??

No idea for either question but Twickenham surely is going to be a better venue than Wembley so you've that to look forward to. I've never been there but speaking to people who have, the pubs etc. around the ground are great pre-games apparently.

i used stay in the mariott twickenham for work quite a bit, good few pubs around given that it caters for the Rugby crowd, no shortage and a better pre game set up than wembley imo as you can do your own thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

No idea for either question but Twickenham surely is going to be a better venue than Wembley so you've that to look forward to. I've never been there but speaking to people who have, the pubs etc. around the ground are great pre-games apparently.

Any reason the venue would be much better than Wembley? The area is a bit of a hole, but other than that Wembley gets seriously undeserved critcism imo. Great views, great facilities (escalators everywhere for upper tiers, ample toilets etc), plenty of refreshment outlets with small queues. Think they do a decent job with the entertainment outside prematch too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Any reason the venue would be much better than Wembley? The area is a bit of a hole, but other than that Wembley gets seriously undeserved critcism imo. Great views, great facilities (escalators everywhere for upper tiers, ample toilets etc), plenty of refreshment outlets with small queues. Think they do a decent job with the entertainment outside prematch too

As you say, the place is a hole. If you travel all that way for a game, you want the full day experience and from what I've heard, Twickenham is great for that. I never enjoyed the tailgating experience at Wembley or the bars around the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Wembley has some great pubs around it. The setup at the Green Man is spectacular considering the thousands of people they have in there on match day. It's also legitimately one of the greatest stadiums on Earth with incredible views and great leg-room (not to be underestimated for those tall people amongst us...)

It's a very different experience around Twickenham.

Advertisement