Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commercial Vehicle Motor Tax - Smallholder

Options
  • 23-11-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi there,

Have any other smallholders looked to switch to a commercial vehicle after got hands on some land... thinking of doing so as really the car isnt going to do the job long term...

Will have a pig herd number in the new year so thinking that should cover any proof i may be asked for in terms of the motor tax or commercial insurance...

Any thoughts or own experiences?

Thanks
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭Base price

bradygaz wrote: »
    Hi there,

Have any other smallholders looked to switch to a commercial vehicle after got hands on some land... thinking of doing so as really the car isnt going to do the job long term...

Will have a pig herd number in the new year so thinking that should cover any proof i may be asked for in terms of the motor tax or commercial insurance...

Any thoughts or own experiences?

Thanks
    Gary
    I think that different county councils have different rules.
    For first time registeration as a commercial vehicle in Longford as a farmer you have to have an up to date Tax clearance cert.
    If you are employed by a company and need your van for work then you need a letter (headed notepaper) from your employer stating their employer number and employee pps number.
    If you a are company/sole trader then a letter from the Revenue Commissioners.
    Certified weigh bridge docket of the weight of the vehicle.
    Insurance.
    CRVT test cert.
    There maybe more required but I cannot remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bradygaz

Thanks... bit of a rigmarole alright.

Will be a sole trader as well as a PAYE worker... so looks like will need to register to VAT even though sales from smallholding will be close to zero... have a TAX accountant in the family so can get them to do all returns for me so not a big deal.

Thanks... bit of a rigmarole alright.

Will be a sole trader as well as a PAYE worker... so looks like will need to register to VAT even though sales from smallholding will be close to zero... have a TAX accountant in the family so can get them to do all returns for me so not a big deal.
    You don't need to be registered for vat unless your turnover is over a certain figure - in around thirty thousand I think.
    Contact your local county council and find out what are the requirements for first time registeration of a commercial vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭bradygaz

Thanks... it is Wicklow so will give them a bell... have found out some info online and says letter from revenue commissioner etc...

"Applicants should note that if the vehicle is used at any time for social, domestic or pleasure purposes it must be taxed at the private rate"

Cant see that being enforced... so a builder or a farmer cant use the jeep to pop down the shops on a Saturday or drop the kids to training...fairly ridiculous

Thanks... it is Wicklow so will give them a bell... have found out some info online and says letter from revenue commissioner etc...

"Applicants should note that if the vehicle is used at any time for social, domestic or pleasure purposes it must be taxed at the private rate"

Cant see that being enforced... so a builder or a farmer cant use the jeep to pop down the shops on a Saturday or drop the kids to training...fairly ridiculous
    Technically not supposed to be used for social, domestic or pleasure purposes unless you pay the full tax. It would be some arse hole of a garda that did you. However if you were to run into a revenue checkpoint they would be the ones that would.
    Nothing to say that you were on the way to help a friend calf a cow etc and you had to take your little one with you as there was no one to mind him/her or a simular excuse ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Base price wrote: »
    Technically not supposed to be used for social, domestic or pleasure purposes unless you pay the full tax. It would be some arse hole of a garda that did you. However if you were to run into a revenue checkpoint they would be the ones that would.
    Nothing to say that you were on the way to help a friend calf a cow etc and you had to take your little one with you as there was no one to mind him/her or a simular excuse ;)

Is there a risk that an insurance company might refuse a claim based on the fact that the vehicle was not 'technically' compliant with the road regulations?

Totally daft rule. How do other countries manage it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Commercial tax Is €350. It needs to be tested annually for €95. Might be cheaper run a car.

W123-80's wrote: »
    Is there a risk that an insurance company might refuse a claim based on the fact that the vehicle was not 'technically' compliant with the road regulations?

Totally daft rule. How do other countries manage it?
    When it comes to insurance I have only ever insured with FBD. Their commercial policy includes social and domestic use as standard.

Advertisement