Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waxing and tanning.. What does everyone think ?

Options
  • 23-11-2015 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi. So im heading to Australia with my girlfriend in January and cause its summer over there i want to be looking my best. Iv been flat out in the gym the past couple of months really trying to tone up for this trip. Im just thinking now of getting waxed and get on the tanning beds so i look the part over there. But my girlfriend thinks it quite a feminine thing for a lad to be doing. Just wondering whats everyone opinion on this. ??? :) Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would have thought the "masculine" thing would be to not give a damn what anyone thinks? :) Wouldn't be for me, but each to their own. If you reckon it would make you feel better then why not?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

I'm going to Thailand at Christmas. I'm defo getting a tan. I haven't worn shorts since I played football 20 yrs ago!! Never got one before, but my pins are ridiculously white.

I'm taking Seamus the WWE wrestler white!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I say embrace the pale. After all pale skin is the minority skin tone among the world's people, by quite a long way.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Waxing maybe but tanning is a definite no. Wait and get a natural tan

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Have to give tanning the thumbs down from me as well. I'm quite Irish pale as it is, but I can't imagine any woman that I've ever been interested in finding it appealing me specifically going looking for a tan, or heaven forbid a tanning bed.

Now I may actually look better with a tan..still up for debate, but I think it's more the excess vanity would turn these women off.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Big Ian

God no, tanning and waxing, what are you thinking man?

Also, you do know most Australians don't look like characters from Home and Away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I agree with your girlfriend. You will get a tan in no time over there. I personally love a man with hair on his body, so waxing would not be something I would support. Just be you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

My opinion?

'Slip, slap, slop' - skin cancer and premature ageing suck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

If you are the sort who wears man bags then yes go for it.

with respect man, tanning and waxing, are you a 21 yr old? cos we all love ourselves at 21 and do such stupid things. If you're not then there's no forgiveness. Basically you've been "getting in shape" for what? Australians?? ha ha.If you're own girlfriends frowning on the outside with subtle remarks, what's she thinking inside. like someone said, Point 001 of the ozzie population look like an Aussiebum billboard!!! If you feel you NEED to get in shape for Australia then you really are not comfortable in your owns skin, tanned and waxed or not!Cringey mail if you're over 30 yrs old as well or more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Most of the beaches in Oz are over run by paddys and brits. White skin bar the odd sunburnt tomato and beer bellies are the norm.
    If you want to fit in id say start a pizza and chipper diet now lol.
    You will have the odd "beautiful" person on the beach but their outnumbered 10/1.
    The parks and exersice areas behind the beaches are a different story tho. 6 packs and muscles galore.

"man bags", "cringey"? The chap came looking for some friendly advice, no need for the snarky replies. No more please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

When you finish your trip are you going to give up the gym and become a hairy white couch potato? I can understand wanting to look good on your holidays but if your gf likes your hair then leave it, and I think the tanning is pushing it a bit too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭OldRio

Waxing and tanning ?

Dear Lord no, just no.

Listen to your girlfriend.

You're putting on fake tan to go somewhere really sunny?

... eh.

Seriously, since when is it considered masculine to have zero hair on your body?

Hi. So im heading to Australia with my girlfriend in January and cause its summer over there i want to be looking my best. Iv been flat out in the gym the past couple of months really trying to tone up for this trip. Im just thinking now of getting waxed and get on the tanning beds so i look the part over there. But my girlfriend thinks it quite a feminine thing for a lad to be doing. Just wondering whats everyone opinion on this. ??? :) Thanks

I think, like certain more mature posters here, I've learned over the years that if the wife and/or :) girlfriend think something is a not a great idea, that usually means it's a monumentally stupid thing you are about to do!

Certainly, get toned, enjoy being fit - but leave the waxing and tanning unless she expressly says something along the lines of 'there's nothing hotter than a waxed and tanned male torso' :)

And don't forget the sunscreen - it really screws a holiday up when one person gets laid up with sunburn. In the past I have been that soldier.

You're putting on fake tan to go somewhere really sunny?

... eh.

Seriously, since when is it considered masculine to have zero hair on your body?
    I have and will only ever get my genitals and eyebrows waxed. Genitals for cleanliness and eyebrows more for appearance.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have and will only ever get my genitals and eyebrows waxed. Genitals for cleanliness and eyebrows more for appearance.

Genitals waxed? Jesus f*cking christ that sounds painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I wash mine. For cleanliness, like.

Genitals waxed? Jesus f*cking christ that sounds painful.
    It can be but no pain=no gain

• Advertisement

endacl wrote: »
    I wash mine. For cleanliness, like.

Yep......

dKVnsEd.jpg

Ain't no one coming near mine with hot wax!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I've never waxed and always found a Philips Bodygroom (used carefully!) does the job perfectly well.

As for tanning, each to their own but I never enjoyed sunbathing etc and though I'm quite pale, it doesn't bother me at all. I live in the Middle East now and I see 'lightening moisturiser' and creams from really well known brands - L'Oreal, Nivea etc, so it seems no matter what skin tone someone is they always have a different target!

Ultimately, do whatever gives you the most confidence and makes you feel comfortable.

I've never waxed and always found a Philips Bodygroom (used carefully!) does the job perfectly well.

As for tanning, each to their own but I never enjoyed sunbathing etc and though I'm quite pale, it doesn't bother me at all. I live in the Middle East now and I see 'lightening moisturiser' and creams from really well known brands - L'Oreal, Nivea etc, so it seems no matter what skin tone someone is they always have a different target!

Ultimately, do whatever gives you the most confidence and makes you feel comfortable.

.......there's a persistent problem in India with mercury in cosmetics - the mercury is supposed to lighten skin tone!!!

I go to the a Middle East and SE Asia occasionally for work - my freckles are a talking point!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Wouldn't go near a sun bed - you'll get a nice colour in a few days over there. A sun bed emits radiation that's been reported to be six times higher than the mediterranean sun. Much better to get it naturally!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It can be but no pain=no gain

What exactly is the gain here?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Maybe he just secretly likes flashing his bits at beauticians?

not having bits of excrement clinging to hair. I find no matter how much i wipe it still happens

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Delta Echo Charlie

not having bits of excrement clinging to hair. I find no matter how much i wipe it still happens

dangleberries/willknots

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yep......

dKVnsEd.jpg

Ain't no one coming near mine with hot wax!

Daft idea.

Wire brush and dettol all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Big Ian

Funny, in the west we're obsessed with tanning and pretty much everywhere else people, well women mostly, want to lighten their skin.

Advertisement