Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

macro counter apps?

Options
  • 22-11-2015 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭

do ye use them?
    I don't have the first clue about my macros and want something to count them and was wondering are there any apps (free is possible) which do this.

Are they easy to use.
    Lets say you buy a meal out for argument sake its bacon and cabbage- is this impossible for the tracker to count because it doesn't know the weights of each portion of food.

Lets say you each a kitkat (normally 4 fingers) do I have to input what the label of the kitkat says or does the app normally know the figures once I say I ate a kitkat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mengele wrote: »
    do ye use them?
    I don't have the first clue about my macros and want something to count them and was wondering are there any apps (free is possible) which do this.

Are they easy to use.
    Lets say you buy a meal out for argument sake its bacon and cabbage- is this impossible for the tracker to count because it doesn't know the weights of each portion of food.

Lets say you each a kitkat (normally 4 fingers) do I have to input what the label of the kitkat says or does the app normally know the figures once I say I ate a kitkat?

MyFitnessPal.

There's no app that can give you macros for food when you have no idea of how much, for example, bacon and cabbage you eat out. It's guesswork for you there. It would have bacon in there and cabbage but you need to know amounts

But it had a massive database so if you ate a 4-finger kitkat, it will have that in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭mengele

MyFitnessPal.

There's no app that can give you macros for food when you have no idea of how much, for example, bacon and cabbage you eat out. It's guesswork for you there. It would have bacon in there and cabbage but you need to know amounts

But it had a massive database so if you ate a 4-finger kitkat, it will have that in there.

so basically if you get good at the guessing the app should work out the rest?

Would it be able to calculate up itself if i entered 100grams of mashed potatoe, 200g of bran flakes and 250ml of fresh milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

mengele wrote: »
    so basically if you get good at the guessing the app should work out the rest?

Would it be able to calculate up itself if i entered 100grams of mashed potatoe, 200g of bran flakes and 250ml of fresh milk?

Yeah you just search 'bran flakes' and then just enter the quantity from the option (different brands etc) you've selected. Same for milk. Same for most things. Once you've selected a food once it goes into a database of your foods so you won't have to go searching for foods then. There's also a function to scan the barcode on something and it returns the data and you just enter the quantities. It gives you the calories and macros and some other stuff like sodium, potassium and so on.

The only other one I've come across is cronometer but I find MFP better in terms of the food database

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

MyFitnessPal is the business for this. Be warned though eye balling food is all well and good when you've weighted out portion previously and can guesstimate how much is in it but if you haven't done this your idea of certain weights and portions will likely be way off.

Advertisement