Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK cinemas refuse to play Lord's Prayer ad in front of Star Wars

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

feargale wrote: »
    It is believed the majority of self-reported Jedi claimed the religion for their own amusement, to poke fun at the government,[1] or as a protest against the inclusion of the religion question on the census form.

and to the people that see Jedi as a real religion no different to catholic or jewish faiths should they not have the right to declare their faith free from any legal threats from a government?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Cabaal wrote: »
    and to the people that see Jedi as a real religion no different to catholic or jewish faiths should they not have the right to declare their faith free from any legal threats from a government?

I never said otherwise. You've missed my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Not until it's out of copyright.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Samaris wrote: »
    Not until it's out of copyright.

Scientology is also still within copyright but yet someone can claim they are a member of that religion on the census without fear of the government charging them

Scientology is also still within copyright but yet someone can claim they are a member of that religion on the census without fear of the government charging them

Firstly, I'll make the point that I firmly disagree with asking people's religions. Private thing, shoo. Asking for a blood type on a census is probably more justified! I might be inclined to declare myself Jedi on the next one too.

But, the vast, vast majority of people do it as a joke. I don't know off the top of my head of anyone who has seriously declared themselves to be a Jedi, much less shown it with midichlorian count or levitating spaceships about. It was never intended as a religious anything, there is no talk of it being the truth about anything, it's space fiction entertainment, nothing more, and was designed as such. And is the intellectual property of George Lucas. There is no honest belief in it, or if there is, it is seriously deluded.

Okay, I can see a lot of arguments against this, so I'm going to compare it to Scientology and Christianity.

Christianity is a religion and there is true belief and faith behind it for many people. It claims, truthfully or otherwise, to have answers for questions relating to the scientifically unproveable aspects of spirituality. Calling oneself a Christian on a census is declared, if you'll excuse the unavoidable pun, in good faith based on personal beliefs. It certainly has cultish aspects, but I don't think it was cynically -intended- to be a scam.

Scientology...well, I personally believe it to be a bloody (and thoroughly cynical) scam created by a nasty piece of con-artistry, L Ron Hubbard. Unfortunately, it was designed and created in such a way as to offer an alternative Way, to answer questions of spirituality. And there are people who have true faith in it, and again, call themselves Scientologists in good faith.

I may well be arguing semantics. But I do feel there are differences between someone utterly believing themself to be a Jedi in the face of all available evidence (including the book itself never claiming to be real or religious, but rather a work of fiction) and someone utterly believing themself to be Christian based on writings of mixed provenance, but claiming to be writing about the word of a god.

I'm not sure I've explained what I mean as well as I might have; I'm not a theological scholar! But I hope I've made where I'm coming from reasonable clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,096 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was going to ask what midichlorian was, but embraced technology and consulted wikipedia (or wookisomething) and all I can say is...well, fancy that! Its a good theory though.

I suppose at some stage I should watch the Starwars fillums then I would know what everyone was on about :D

looksee wrote: »
    I was going to ask what midichlorian was, but embraced technology and consulted wikipedia (or wookisomething) and all I can say is...well, fancy that! Its a good theory though.

I suppose at some stage I should watch the Starwars fillums then I would know what everyone was on about :D

Episodes II and III don't exist. Technically, Episode I doesn't either.

Everyone's raving about the new one though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

"Raving about"? Not in my case - "snoring gently during" would be a better description.

robindch wrote: »
    "Raving about"? Not in my case - "snoring gently during" would be a better description.

Bah, there's always someone... :D

Not seen it yet, tbh, hoping to see it sometime over Christmas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,021 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is no honest belief in it, or if there is, it is seriously deluded.

Okay, I can see a lot of arguments against this, so I'm going to compare it to Scientology and Christianity.

There is no difference.

For all we know, all major religions started off as 'a good story' or entertainment (no Netflix in them days) and suffered severe embellishment along the way.

There is no future for Boards as long as it stays on the complete toss that is the Vanilla "platform", we've given those Canadian twats far more chances than they deserve.

• Advertisement

There is no difference.

For all we know, all major religions started off as 'a good story' or entertainment (no Netflix in them days) and suffered severe embellishment along the way.

Entirely possible that they did, but there is still a difference, and that is the phrase "in good faith". When you get down to brass tacks, the stories behind Christianity may not have much more fact behind them than Lucas' Star Wars, of course, or at least not much more than there does appear to have been a man called Yeshua living at that period, whereas we know damn well that Luke Skywalker wasn't blowing up Death Stars. But there is a difference in the faith of someone who has been raised and indoctrinated into something being true and someone deciding that Noddy lives at the bottom of the garden because they picked up an Enid Blyton book (which, same as Star Wars, never makes the remotest claim at being factual).

Entirely possible that they did, but there is still a difference, and that is the phrase "in good faith". When you get down to brass tacks, the stories behind Christianity may not have much more fact behind them than Lucas' Star Wars, of course, or at least not much more than there does appear to have been a man called Yeshua living at that period, whereas we know damn well that Luke Skywalker wasn't blowing up Death Stars. But there is a difference in the faith of someone who has been raised and indoctrinated into something being true and someone deciding that Noddy lives at the bottom of the garden because they picked up an Enid Blyton book (which, same as Star Wars, never makes the remotest claim at being factual).

It still comes down to the follower of the faith believing the religion to be true,
    Both Scientology and christian faiths are no different in that regard, there are people that at the end of the day will swear its true even when knowing there are others who abuse their faith to make a quick buck.

Both Scientology and catholics faiths also have a history of silencing critics of their faiths and also causing abuses, the only difference is Scientology is newer.

Its a religion, no different to the rest, its no more true and no more false.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Episodes II and III don't exist. Technically, Episode I doesn't either.

Eh? Here's Episode 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Perfectly sensible decision, it's there cinemas they can show what they want.

If they want people to see the advert then stick it on TV or YouTube.

What an ass! So if it's my car I can smoke as I like in it regardless of who

is in it? To hell with the law, I'll do as I please! Advertising after all is what it

is and should be treated as such. Should RTE have refused to air Newstalk

advert? In my view it shouldn't! The way things are going now we're taking

a very large step backwards towards religious intolerance not that there

was very much of it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

What an ass! So if it's my car I can smoke as I like in it regardless of who

is in it? To hell with the law, I'll do as I please! Advertising after all is what it

is and should be treated as such. Should RTE have refused to air Newstalk

advert? In my view it shouldn't! The way things are going now we're taking

a very large step backwards towards religious intolerance not that there

was very much of it anyway!

Read the thread before you make an idiot of yourself. Oops. Too late.

MrP

Advertisement