Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suppose An asteroid is due to hit Earth in 90 days. How will the world react?

• 21-11-2015 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭

Suppose A large asteroid is discovered to be on direct collision track with Earth in circa 90 days.

How would the worlds leaders re-act? What would the say? How would Obama spin it?

How would people the world over prepare for a certain cataclysm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I guess there would be Armageddon. And then a Deep Impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭tritium

tippman1 wrote: »
    Suppose A large asteroid is discovered to be on direct collision track with Earth in circa 90 days.

How would the worlds leaders re-act? What would the say? How would Obama spin it?

"My fellow Americans, I am speaking to you from this secret bunker deep underground......."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Simpsons nailed this one I'm sure. Cut open each other's heads and feast on the goo inside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

With much abandonment and a little alacrity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Ride everything in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'll get "come at me bro" tattoo'd across my arse. Go to the expected crash site of the asteroid, bend over and take it as it comes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86,027 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Where, and how much platinum?

www.planetaryresources.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

America would probably say its got chemical weapons and try and invade the fcuking thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I dont wanna close my eyes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Just keep on killing each other...

• Advertisement

The Christians would flee to the pub and the atheists would flock to the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I think we'd gather the greatest minds on the planet to come up with the most rational and probable method to save us; sending deep-sea oil drillers to space.

All radios would be forced to play Aerosmith 24/7. After a while, we'd welcome our impending doom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,394 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'd have to plan my weekends carefully because work is busy at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I imagine there would be a lot of scores settled.

*Checks drawer for list of most hated people. Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

They probably say nothing and we'd probably wouldn't even know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

Get pally with Richard Branson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Free cheese and iodine tablets. Mmmhm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

me_irl wrote: »
    I guess there would be Armageddon. And then a Deep Impact.

Or lots of deep impacts and then Armageddon?

Of all the possible causes of our annihilation it's probably the likely . There's even a hint of it in the Bible I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I imagine they'd move up the release date for the new Star Wars film at least.

Other than that we'd have 90 days to finally settle the score with the Brits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Confess my sins to the local Padre, and hold up at home with loved ones and crates of liquor and Marlboros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Somebody somewhere would take offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭looksee

but...we've been promised variations on this so many times, and so far
    a. the vast majority of people have ignored it and
    b. nothing has happened.

More of the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

the alienz were only practising with this shot :

You should read the trilogy of books called the Last Policeman. It essentially follows the collapse of society as the world awaits a meteorite heading for the world that nobody can stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Blame it on the muslims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

"Hello Mr. Willis. We need you again."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd build a fort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Some complicated maths and an ICBM.

World would go back to killing themselves again anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

I think we'd react to it like those "certain types of food are actually bad for you even though we thought they were good for you' info's

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

It's the wanton riding I'd be most concerned about.

Wanton, I tells you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,236 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Facebook groups would be set up to moan about it.

Online petition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Celebrate the fact that zombies will be no more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

You should read the trilogy of books called the Last Policeman. It essentially follows the collapse of society as the world awaits a meteorite heading for the world that nobody can stop.

The guy in the bunker in the LOST series was reading that I think. I hope it wasn't as confusing as lost itself.

Personally, I would try to act as normal and love and protect my family. What else would there to be done? Banks could be fecked though..... All this with a shotgun in my hand though....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

In reality, most folk would ignore the information. Too big to contemplate, and as nothing could be done, better off ignoring it.

however, if one could tap into the wanton classes, with all their abandonment of moral norms and what not...might not be such a bad thing, world annihilation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Take a drip to Denver international airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Have a great Christmas because when the credit card bill in due, the world will be over.

Deffo will stop going to slimming world now, so what if am a stone overweight, might as well go out with a smile and chocolate on my lips

take the kids out of school and just have fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I hated doing cataclysm in school, so if I had to prepare for it again I'd welcome the Asteroid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

At least no more Jehovah Witnesses coming to the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Skoop

I'd say everyone would be really cool about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

thinking about this seriously its really scary to imagine

would make a great drama movie

about real life people instead of the heros saving the planet nothing can be done life will end in 90 days enjoy the time you have and in the end they all die

gimme the tissues!! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,562 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

biggebruv wrote: »
    thinking about this seriously its really scary to imagine

would make a great drama movie

about real life people instead of the heros saving the planet nothing can be done life will end in 90 days enjoy the time you have and in the end they all die

gimme the tissues!! lol

Jaysus. Is there nothing that you won't **** to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

ArtSmart wrote: »
    In reality, most folk would ignore the information.

In rality, most people wouldn't get the information in the first place.
    NASA would deny it
    Obama would laugh it off
    Anyone who said otherwise would be ignored

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

90 days plenty of time to get out of dodge. Unless it's a planet killer the area could be evacuated.

We could try and nudge it so it lands on the moon or Antartica or in the Gobi or Sahara or Himalayas or middle of Oz or Siberia or Northern Canada or the Empty Quarter or possibly Greenland. Oceans wouldn't be so good seeing as how so many live near the coast unless you go for northern Canada.

Might be a long shot but nudging it into orbit would give us a new moon :cool:
    Though astrologists would be be upset.

90 days isn't a long lead time but there's fair bit of kit in the pipeline that can get 10 tonnes or more to LEO , between Proton , Atlas, Delta IV, Falcon 9, Zenit , Ariane 5 and H-IIA. India and China also have the capability but nothing that big scheduled in the next 90 days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_in_spaceflight
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_in_spaceflight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 93,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Then again China did launch a rather large satellite for Laos on Friday ...

Now what would a small Marxist country that sold their .la domain to a US business want with a "communications" satellite ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

At least no more Jehovah Witnesses coming to the door

Unless they're right! Then maybe hell would be you spending your day continuously opening your door to Jehovah Witnesses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Overheal wrote: »
    Where, and how much platinum?

www.planetaryresources.com

Typical yank, too busy trying to make money out of it to be worried about it killing us all:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

We could try and nudge it so it lands on the moon or Antartica or in the Gobi or Sahara or Himalayas or middle of Oz or Siberia or Northern Canada or the Empty Quarter or possibly Greenland. Oceans wouldn't be so good seeing as how so many live near the coast unless you go for northern Canada.

Might be a long shot but nudging it into orbit would give us a new moon :cool:
    Though astrologists would be be upset.

Nudge it with what? We dont have a spacecraft capable of rendezvousing and matching speed with an asteroid so it would come down to hitting it with missiles.....which we cant do accurately yet. I think you underestimate the complexity involved in changing the course of an object that large and moving that fast in space. We certainly would have no hope of directing it to a specific spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

There would be more protests, and not just in Ireland. There would also be an increase in luxury cars sold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Kirby wrote: »
    Nudge it with what? We dont have a spacecraft capable of rendezvousing and matching speed with an asteroid so it would come down to hitting it with missiles.....which we cant do accurately yet. I think you underestimate the complexity involved in changing the course of an object that large and moving that fast in space. We certainly would have no hope of directing it to a specific spot.

Sure we'd all just get out and push.

• Advertisement
Advertisement