Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I know I'm anticipating, a little bit but for next year i'd like 95% of our great current squad
    + Steenson, Sheriff and a NIQ ambidextrous prop
    It's reasonnable and enough

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

connachta wrote: »
    I know I'm anticipating, a little bit but for next year i'd like 95% of our great current squad
    + Steenson, Sheriff and a NIQ ambidextrous prop
    It's reasonnable and enough

I believe the term is Ambipropstrous.

That was some result. Munster were made to look extremely ordinary in their own backyard. I was one who have been waiting for what I thought would be the inevitable crash back to earth, but it doesnt seem to be coming. I felt Connacht made the most of the WC disruption to others but then would be pulled back once they all strengthened. I'm increasingly thinking this wont happen. While I don't think Connacht will win the Pro12 they are suddenly legit top 4 contenders which i for one never saw happening.
    I honestly can't pick between Munster and Connacht anymore, the pecking order may be changing. Connacht look to have more potential coming through than Munster at the minute anyway. There could well be as many Connacht lads in the 6N squad as from down south.
    When the top teams lose their players to the 6N squad you can see Connacht capitalising again. Even if you lose a few this time too, you have a level of strength in depth i had no idea was there.
    Serious re-evaluation of my opinions of teams relative to each other is needed! No longer the plucky baby cousin of the other 3

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cosalofa

I woke up this morning having made two dreams about Connacht (one of them crazy, they were playing beach rugby against Leinster, true story!:D)

The reality is far better than anything we could have dreamt 2 years ago. For the first time as a Connacht supporter, I'm serene, peaceful.

Lose Heenan? Nepia Fox Matamua steps in
    Lose Nepia? Connolly steps in brilliantly
    And Moloney's next

White is 34? Bealham's ok, Menuargia promising
    Naoupu's 33? Masterson already is a Masterpiece
    Muldoon? SOB is indeed a 2.0 version of SOB, the future is all to take for him

Cooney out for 3 months? I rate Caolin Blade highly
    And even Henshaw isn't irreplaceable, Parata looked great.

And we have McCartney, McSharry, Roux, McKeon, Marshall and Poolman on the verge of return, I can't imagine where there gonna play. The fight for any spots is absolutely incredible

You're forgetting Conan O'Donnell who has been brilliant whenever he has played.

cblaix wrote: »
    You're forgetting Conan O'Donnell who has been brilliant whenever he has played.

Not forgotten, just think a prop needs one or two more years to be a regular contender by all accounts (not only scrum):)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭cosalofa

As that may be (and I agree with you) he seems on be ahead of Menuargia in the pecking order.

• Advertisement

Georgian props come to their best after 30, it's well-known;)

For Cardiff : With the magnificent win in Thomond Park, and Challenge cup to rotate the squad the week after, I'm favourable of maintaining our heroes to keep going that well....

Only personal changes would be on the bench, Marshall/Roux as 19, and Browne or McKeon as 20

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marc O Polo

Hearing henshaw may have a broken bone in his hand! Not confirmed as waiting on scans but his hand is massively swollen! So if true that's a few weeks out!!

Big blow for Connacht. Robbie Henshaw ruled out for around 6 weeks with fracture in his hand. Denis Buckley out for 3 weeks

On the other side Cardiff should be without Decey Rees Tom James and Warburton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Funnily enough, while a massive blow, we could survive losing Robbie
    But jaysus no Denis :(

Thank feck Loughney is back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭b.gud

Big blow for Connacht. Robbie Henshaw ruled out for around 6 weeks with fracture in his hand. Denis Buckley out for 3 weeks

Buckley is probably the bigger blow of the 2 in some ways. Don't get me wrong I always want to see Robbie on the team sheet but with the RWC this year we've created some depth at centre to make up for his absence.

Buckley has been an integral part of our pack for the past year and we've really come to rely on him for scrum dominance. At least Loughney is back fit though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

With Loughney back and Ronaldson, Aki, TOH in such good form, it's manageable v Cardiff and Newcastle.

Losing Robbie for the interpro's is a big blow however.

Masterson out for 3 weeks aswell
    Still no word on Poolman
    But positives are following are available for Cardiff :
    Rodney Ah You
    Quin Roux
    Dave McSharry
    Eoin McKeon
    Ben Marshall

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Sky Sports team of the week; featuring Henshaw, Aki, Muldowney, Muldoon and Connolly. As someone who spent a lot of time wondering how many more seasons Muldoon has in him, it was a real turn-back-the-clock performance, even if the Sky commentators reckon he's from Ballinasloe.

6 weeks for Henshaw plus the 6 Nations means we'll be lucky to see him play 5-6 times more this season.

This is a real chance for Dave McSharry to re-establish himself. Also the options we have to rotate the backs must make us damn near impervious to video analysis this season.

Still no word on Poolman, out since the middle of October.....that minor hamstring strain is dragging on for 6+ weeks!!

The best news is having Rodney back. So that we can switch Bealham to substitute LH of Lough, and White/AhYou for TH. Very nice, and it will let Buckley the 3 weeks he needs (but please could he be back for Ulster, that would be my best Christmas gift)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Also included in the update is the bad news with regards to Fox-Matamua. It was his ACL and he'll be out for up to 6 months with surgery scheduled for January.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Also included in the update is the bad news with regards to Fox-Matamua. It was his ACL and he'll be out for up to 6 months with surgery scheduled for January.

Heenan isn't far at all, he should be there for Ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭typhoony

Heenan isn't far at all, he should be there for Ulster

i would'nt like to see him thrown straight into a high level competitive game at least not as a starter

typhoony wrote: »
    i would'nt like to see him thrown straight into a high level competitive game at least not as a starter

No, lets just pray to jaysus his shoulder is finally right.....he's 2.5 years into a 3 year contract and has only been fully fit for 4 months.....shows how much of an impression he made in those 4 months!

• Advertisement

S12b wrote: »
    No, lets just pray to jaysus his shoulder is finally right.....he's 2.5 years into a 3 year contract and has only been fully fit for 4 months.....shows how much of an impression he made in those 4 months!

Yes, he's so great. he was due in October, so he had enough times to recover correctly. Play him 15 min against Newcastle and full game against Ulster. Crucial to finish 2015 on a high

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/pat-lam-reckons-signing-dan-carter-for-connacht-would-be-a-waste-of-time/52473

Lam talks about buying in players vs developing them. Seems to be a great attitude to have, he really looks to want to build at Connacht.

with squad update they are the obvious choices

1) Lough
    2) Delahunt
    3) White
    6) Muldoon
    7) Connolly
    8) McKeon
    9) Marms
    11) Healy
    12) Ron
    13) Aki

17) Bealham
    18) AhYou
    21) Porter

And then the possibilties for Lam to choose

4/5/19 between Roux/Dillane/Marshall/Muldowney
    14/15/23 Parata/Leader, TOH/Leader, Parata/TOH, Niyi/TOH, Niyi/Leader
    10/21 AJ or Carty

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marc O Polo

I Wudnt be surprised to see lam give Aki a rest versus Cardiff! He's played every game and with mcsharry and parata fit, I reckon it's a strong possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Connacht to win the Pro 12: 6-1

Any Welsh team to win the Pro 12: 9-1

Changed times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I Wudnt be surprised to see lam give Aki a rest versus Cardiff! He's played every game and with mcsharry and parata fit, I reckon it's a strong possibility!

I would be and hope he doesn't. Aki has been of our best players all year and this is a huge game to keep the momentum going. Ronaldson and himself have really developed an understanding, not the time to disrupt that imo.

Rest him against Newcastle. Great to have viable alternatives though.

And then the possibilties for Lam to choose

4/5/19 between Roux/Dillane/Marshall/Muldowney
    14/15/23 Parata/Leader, TOH/Leader, Parata/TOH, Niyi/TOH, Niyi/Leader
    10/21 AJ or Carty

Sorry I forgot n°20 Naoupu or Sean O'Brien

Yes, he's so great. he was due in October, so he had enough times to recover correctly. Play him 15 min against Newcastle and full game against Ulster. Crucial to finish 2015 on a high

After the farce of last season of bringing him in when he wasn't ready I would wait until he is 100%
    Only so many times someone can reconstruct their shoulder

I know he has played every game so far but I'd play Aki against Cardiff, he seems fit and is playing magic rugby - can rest him in the two European games against Newcastle

wp_rathead wrote: »

I know he has played every game so far but I'd play Aki against Cardiff, he seems fit and is playing magic rugby - can rest him in the two European games against Newcastle

Agree with that part. McSharry/Parata can prepare their partenairship for Newcastle double-header

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I wouldn't go diving in for the 6/1 just yet.
    If you really want I'll lay you 2/1 or even 6/4 if you ask me nicely.

http://www.oddschecker.com/rugby-union/uk-ireland/guinness-pro12/grand-final-winner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement