Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which IT cert for employability

Options
  • 20-11-2015 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone point me in the right direction of an IT cert i could do part time in Galway or online that could help me land an IT role, my interest would be in network maintenance etc. I only have admin experience at present and am looking for a career in IT :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Newport81 wrote: »
    Hi can anyone point me in the right direction of an IT cert i could do part time in Galway or online that could help me land an IT role, my interest would be in network maintenance etc. I only have admin experience at present and am looking for a career in IT :)

Start with the comptia A+ And then go and do the network + ...that's the best start imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Start with the comptia A+ And then go and do the network + ...that's the best start imo.

Thanks I was looking at the comptia a+ but read some people saying its a waste of time? Did you do it online or in a class?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

What is your base level of IT knowledge?

The A+ can be superfluous if you already have decent knowledge as it extremely basic (and actually contains a lot of irrelevant ancient info also, albeit far less than it used to)

Both it and the Network+ (more useful) can be done without paying for anything other than the exam fee by using online resources - the training is realistically unnecessary.

L1011 wrote: »
    What is your base level of IT knowledge?

The A+ can be superfluous if you already have decent knowledge as it extremely basic (and actually contains a lot of irrelevant ancient info also, albeit far less than it used to)

base level not great I worked for a few months on an IT helpdesk 5 years ago but I wouldn't be as knowledgeable as i would like to be, can anyone here recommend best place online to do this course also how quickly could I get it done? thanks :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

base level not great I worked for a few months on an IT helpdesk 5 years ago but I wouldn't be as knowledgeable as i would like to be, can anyone here recommend best place online to do this course also how quickly could I get it done? thanks :)

You may already have the A+ level already.

(horribly over) Simplifying it down to a few questions:

* Could you find out the correct replacement RAM for a computer (Desktop or laptop), and open it and fit it when it arrived
    * Can you disable a service in Windows
    * Could you (quickly) identify what is using disk space on a drive that's full

If you can answer yes to those three (And verify that you are right), don't bother with the A+...

Go for the Network+ or something more advanced, nobody is ever going to ask why you don't have it. Its basically the Junior Cert of certification, once you've something stronger nobody cares.

• Advertisement

You may already have the A+ level already.

(horribly over) Simplifying it down to a few questions:

* Could you find out the correct replacement RAM for a computer (Desktop or laptop), and open it and fit it when it arrived
    * Can you disable a service in Windows
    * Could you (quickly) identify what is using disk space on a drive that's full

If you can answer yes to those three (And verify that you are right), don't bother with the A+...

Go for the Network+ or something more advanced, nobody is ever going to ask why you don't have it. Its basically the Junior Cert of certification, once you've something stronger nobody cares.

I'd have a good idea but I still wouldn't be confident answering those correctly so I'd say I'm best completing CompTIA first, do you know how long it takes?

I'd have a good idea but I still wouldn't be confident answering those correctly so I'd say I'm best completing CompTIA first, do you know how long it takes?

Few weeks max.

http://www.professormesser.com/ seems to be the most recommended site for resources these days. Don't pay for anything bar the exams themselves.

Few weeks max.

http://www.professormesser.com/ seems to be the most recommended site for resources these days. Don't pay for anything bar the exams themselves.

that's brilliant i'll get cracking with that thanks a million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 braniganl

Did the A+ last year through VTOS and it was a gigantic waste of time if you knew anything basic about computers. Wouldn't wish learning minimum system requirements and such for Windows XP on my worst enemy! If you really want the cert , it's easily doable in a month or two if you go through professor messers A+ vids on Youtube and read the Mike Myers all in one A+ study guide. That's how I passed, as the VTOS tutors weren't much use!

Doing CCNA + a full level 6 networking cert this year which feels like a massive step up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 VeilOfSun

Don't waste your time with CompTia certification.
    Go for Cisco & Juniper certifications. There are plenty of tools which will allow to practice on your PC.

• Advertisement

VeilOfSun wrote: »
    Don't waste your time with CompTia certification.
    Go for Cisco & Juniper certifications. There are plenty of tools which will allow to practice on your PC.

which cisco and juniper certs do you start with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 VeilOfSun

which cisco and juniper certs do you start with?

Cisco: CCENT -> then decide which path would be more interesting to you.(RS, VOICE, Security, etc)
    Same way for the Juniper.

For the practice you can use:
    unetlab_com
    or
    gns3_com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I went down the CompTIA route -

CompTIA A+
    Network+ and Security+ sort of go hand in hand and are really appealing towards potential employers, particularly for level 1 helpdesk - you won't just walk into a junior sys admin role unless you know someone.

After that though you could go down the CCNA route or Microsoft if you prefer - I went down the O365 and Azure route and it paid off massively.

I would consider Cisco or Juniper certs a *bit* of a jump in for someone who's not sure if they need the A+...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did anyone ever switch careers just by doing these certs and applying for jobs? Im in an 50:50 laboratory/office split at the moment but Id love to get into IT, I have good basic knowledge of pcs from a building/components/gaming perspective but no programming or networking really.

Thargor wrote: »
    Did anyone ever switch careers just by doing these certs and applying for jobs? Im in an 50:50 laboratory/office split at the moment but Id love to get into IT, I have good basic knowledge of pcs from a building/components/gaming perspective but no programming or networking really.

I kinda did yeah, I worked in retail for 2 years then decided to follow up with my interest in computers, went out got the A+ and Network+, got my first IT job, got an MCSA in Office 365, MCS in Azure, and an MCSE in Exchange 2013.

I'm now in my 3rd year of IT and it's quite enjoyable, I'm only 22 so I've yonks ahead of me.

You'd get hired just with A+ and Network+? Sorry for hijacking the thread OP...

Yeah, most basic entry level IT helpdesk positions require customer service more than anything else, so to them I had 2 years of customer service experience along with CompTIA A+ and Network+, impressed in the interview and got the job then built myself up and went further up the ladder.

Also - apologies if this is derailing the thread OP.

It depends really.

I got my latest position over someone who had more experience but less qualifications.

For the likes of Microsoft Gold Partners they kind of need to hire people with Certs in order to maintain Partner status.

For the likes of Microsoft Gold Partners they kind of need to hire people with Certs in order to maintain Partner status.

I believe my former employer had some issues in that regard when I left actually :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

In IT myself about 10 years working as a system Administrator . Its 50/50 really some complines ask for certs or experience . Went back to college part time myself to complete a computer science degree was a complete waste of time it was really out of touch with the Industry . It annoys me when i see companies asking for Computer Science degrees for support jobs. Its a trade at the end of the day.

But as mentioned above do some of the industry certs which will help you getting into a level 1 position and work your way up. Plenty of Desktop support jobs in and around Dublin. Could be a good bit harder if you are outside Dublin.

In IT myself about 10 years working as a system Administrator . Its 50/50 really some complines ask for certs or experience . Went back to college part time myself to complete a computer science degree was a complete waste of time it was really out of touch with the Industry . It annoys me when i see companies asking for Computer Science degrees for support jobs. Its a trade at the end of the day.

But as mentioned above do some of the industry certs which will help you getting into a level 1 position and work your way up. Plenty of Desktop support jobs in and around Dublin. Could be a good bit harder if you are outside Dublin.

I completely agree - some of the so-called "required" degrees are really quite irrelevant to what you actually do. In my opinion - unless it's a computer programming/systems architecture - you really don't need a computer science degree.

These companies do tend to forget that college does not teach you customer experience, troubleshooting in a live environment, etc, and that is obviously the most important characteristic to have in a Desktop support position. I know countless recruiters and I'm happy to call on a few favours to get a few people started on this career path.

Is it hard work/long days? Are you always moving on to better money afetr a year or two or will you be stuck around a certain level forever?

Well from my experience it's hard work and long days for only short periods of time. I moved from a job where I was being paid 25k a year for basic level 1 support to an Office 365 consultant on close to double that in the space of about 18 months.

It completely depends on you, your abilities, and how well you can essentially sell yourself.

Thanks, do you think 31 is too late to make the switch?

Definitely not!! It's never too late to make a career switch, providing you believe it's the right switch to make.

Personally I think you should go for it. There's a lot of money in IT, I'm already earning a pretty damn good wage for a 22 year old with 3 years of experience and with my certs etc, 3 years to get to 45k isn't a long time!

I think I am going to do it tbh, Im on pretty good money here but its a bit of a dead end and I only have a couple of hours work in the morning then nothing for the rest of the day, thought it was a dream job at first but it got old very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

I'm in the placement part of an IT course back to class in january and then start one year degree next september. I'm 27 but one of youngest in class. There is multiple people in their 30's on it and even a guy who is 46. All working towards a career in IT and from all kinds of backgrounds from hr, bar work, factory work to scaffolding.

So no you are not too old the only requriement is putting the time and effort in and asking questions when you need to. Beyond that age is not important.

Thanks a million for that, what is the course if you dont mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Thanks a million for that, what is the course if you dont mind me asking?

It's a Higher Cert in IT support. Covers software development, networks, operating systems, computer systems (from the bottom up) and applications.

From january it will be more of the same but no computer systems, applications is replaced with databases and operating systems is focused on linux not windows.

This then leads into a degree in IT support or honors if you stay 2 years in computer services management.

I've also managed to push on and do almost all the practicals for software dev while on placement and have been doing cisco ccna as it's free through the college to push on with networks.

Links to the cert and degree:

Cert:

http://www.lyit.ie/full-timecourses/computing/lykitswclykitssc/

Degree:

http://www.lyit.ie/full-timecourses/computing/lykitspd/

Honors:

http://www.lyit.ie/full-timecourses/computing/lykitspb/

Advertisement