Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to expect from a personal trainer

Options
  • 18-11-2015 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

So I started going to the gym about 6 weeks ago, have really begun to enjoy it and am beginning to see differences in my arms and shoulders. I'm 5'9" and about 86kg. Have lost maybe 2kg since I started but my weight will fluctuate that much from morning to evening most days. My goals are to build muscle and get lean.

I've been paying €45 per week for 4 one hour sessions with a PT where we work different muscle groups each day over a 4 day split. I have to say I've found the whole experience great but am beginning to wonder if this is a typical scenario, should I be expecting more from the personal trainer or is this the norm for the price range or what?!

It's a body building gym so there's not a huge emphasis on cardio apart from warming up and cooling down. I haven't been tested for body fat or anything like that nor have they really given me a specific diet plan apart from to say cut out sugar and white bread etc and give me an idea of what foods are good to eat and what to avoid.

I only plan to keep up the PT until Christmas where I feel I should know enough not to hurt myself but am wondering should all personal trainers be giving me meal plans and measuring body fat regularly etc?

Thanks for you help in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

€45 per week for 4 one hour sessions with a PT

Surely this is a typo? 45 per session?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

€45 per week for 4 one hour sessions with a PT

Surely this is a typo? 45 per session?

If it's one to one, and he's showing up, you're getting value for money!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Also, ask for a specific diet plan. And ask for you bodyfat to be measured.

Asking goes a long way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, it is €45 per week for 4, one hour + sessions. They usually charge €15 per hour and if you pay for 4 you get a 5th one free (ie €60 p/w) but he's done a deal with me in the last two weeks where he will do 4 sessions in a week for the price of three, ie €45.***

For that I get the personal trainer, one to one, for at least an hour, but usually more like an hour and 15 minutes to an hour and a half, demonstrating each excercise first and then spotting me / motivating me every step of the way. Sometimes he'll jump in and train with me if he's due to work same muscke group but this has of happened twice.

Nearly each week so far it's been a different excercise, even for the same muscle groups. At first I thought it was to keep me guessing so u wouldn't go off and do it on my own but he says it's best to keep your body guessing and my research indicates he's correct.

Coincidentally, today he was asking me lots of questions about what I like to eat and why I wouldn't eat, and said he'd send me a personalised meal plan in the next day or so. So I guess the only question left to ask him is a out the body fat thing.

Sounds like I'm getting good value for money at least and my PT is proper ripped so he practices what he preaches. This is in Carlow town just for reference.

*** This is on top of the gym membership of about €30 per month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Great deal tbh, I think in my gym its like 30e per hour or more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Great deal tbh, I think in my gym its like 30e per hour or more

Even 30e is a decent offer for 1-1 training for an hour!

Advertisement