Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STI Testing for Women (New Method!)

Options
  • 17-11-2015 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but it seemed very topical in light of Charlie Sheen's HIV+ disclosure.

Maybe a lot of women know this, but if like me you didn't, hopefully it helps and encourages you to get STI checks after all partners.

I was tested yesterday and had thought I'd need a somewhat invasive swap from the nurse. I was absolutely dreading this bit as my experience with smears has been unpleasant BUT! Thankfully a new service is in place since last year where you can do your own swap and it is so simple and apparently much more effective.

Again, maybe lots already know this but the invasive bit can be off-putting and hopefully knowing that it can all be done by you where that bits concerned will encourage more women to get checked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

MOD

Please remember there is a site wide rule of no medical advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Is this similar to the thing where some nurses/doctors allow women to insert the speculum themselves? Of course you'll be more relaxed doing something yourself than having someone else do it. Or is it that the user does the whole test themselves? What if they missed something?? :confused:

Advertisement