Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on appealing a parking ticket

Options
  • 16-11-2015 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all,
    So I need some advice regarding the appeal of a parking ticket I received today. So I parked beside a little island footpath, separating two drive in entrances to some commercial units. There was no double yellow lines or no sign indicating that parking was illegal. So to my delight, I came back to find a ticket issued, stating that "Parking a vehicle obstructing other traffic". I rang up the county council, and when I explained that there was no double yellow lines or anything stating I couldn't park there, I was told that yellow lines aren't necessary needed to be forbidden to park, and I was obstructing traffic in the junction (they took photos of where I parked). Can anyone offer some advice where I should appeal this decision, and on what basis?

This shows exactly where I parked:
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2763322,-6.2109331,3a,75y,297.97h,73.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9xTdXOYO5pYWPcPzboWQtg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

ZGuGwq8vGCv

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

What section did the fine set out?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,293 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

did you park where the silver focus is or at the bit thats free? Either way parking in Sandyford is always a pain in the hole and you really need to be careful. If you parked at the part thats free on google maps then Im not surprised, there isn't enough room to park a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Write a letter to the council; there should be details on how to appeal your ticket or a phone number where you can make contact with them them. Cite the basis whereby you consider yourself to have been unfairly ticketed along with any evidence that you have to hand (photos etc) and await their consideration. This is almost always rejected so don't expect any joy.

The other is to not to pay it and have your day in court and it will end up there if unpaid. Chances are that you'll lose here as well plus costs unless you were absolutely wronged here.

If it was me I'd suck it up and accept it.

Edit; having seen the photo of where you were I really wouldn't attempt an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 damnlol

What section did the fine set out?

Section 07C - Parking a vehicle obstructing other traffic.

You can now view the image above where I parked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭uberwolf

if you parked across that small spur then you deserved a ticket imo. You were obstructing visibility at a junction.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    if you parked across that small spur then you deserved a ticket imo. You were obstructing visibility at a junction.

Have seen plenty of people park there, there just isn't enough parking in Sandyford Industrial estate. Assumed it was allowed.. clearly not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I would agree unfortunately If you parked at the front small bit of path you were obstructing 2 entrances

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Gonna take a wild guess it was here:

mQkzuN9.png
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2763322,-6.2109331,3a,75y,310.83h,62.14t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9xTdXOYO5pYWPcPzboWQtg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

A car would be obstructing one or both entrances.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/si/182/made/en/print#zzsi182y1997a36
    Prohibitions on Parking
    36. (1) Save as otherwise provided for in these Regulations and subject to article 5, a vehicle shall not be parked on a public road at a location, in a manner or for a purpose referred to in this article.

(2) A vehicle shall not be parked—

( g ) in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises;

No lines needed. Pay the fine.

Yup spot on. Balls, guess I've no choice but to pay, thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭kirving

Yeah, can't argue with that. Obstructing the views of two entrances. Dangerous for pedestrians and cars trying to see when pulling out.

• Advertisement

out of interest how much is the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You could park a Smart car there.

salmocab wrote: »
    out of interest how much is the fine?

€40

Pkiernan wrote: »
    You could park a Smart car there.

Well my golf just about fit there.. it's bigger than it looks haha

damnlol wrote: »
    €40

at least you weren't clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I admittedly made a poor effort at parking my wifes car a few days ago and got a ticket , I was marginally outside the parking spot , quiet street in a Leinster town , ticket inspector was very nice about it as I approached him about one minute after he issued the ticket , I was saying Hi to the baker who made our wedding cake and got a coffee while in there , I left our two kids in the car , I was no more than three minutes in the bakery , he went to the trouble of calling up his supervisor after i explained that i normally drive an automatic due to chronic pain in my right foot and so im a tad rusty at driving my wifes manual , his supervisor just told him to tell me to appeal , inspector was working for a private contractor who operate for the local authority , fine is forty euro , not sure il bother appealing , i was guilty of a poor park job

suppose im asking if bringing up the fact im rusty in a manual and thus blaming this on my poor parking effort might sway the council ? , suppose someone who cant park a manual properly shouldnt be driving one in the first place ?

i can drive a manual , i just hadnt driven this car in about three years , was collecting it from a mate who is a panel beater and had replaced a wing

suspect I have a wafer thin case for appeal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Absolutely no case at all. You parked badly, it's nobody else's fault you're rusty on driving manual cars or that you didn't take the care to park properly.

Im rusty in a manual due to a foot injury , the crux of my appeal would be ive a disability so my subsequent parking effort was substandard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That won't cut mustard. If you can't drive/park the vehicle properly you shouldn't be doing so in a public place, it's a risk to yourself and to others.

yeah I thought so , I can drive a manual , I just hadnt driven her car for a long time , between vision while parking and being in an automatic every other day of the week , I did a below par park job

wont bother appealing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How is parking a manual radically different to doing so in an automatic? I know you have a clutch to contend with but the most complicated part of parking is steering. Switching between first gear and reverse is incidental because the car isn't moving when you're changing gears.

And if you can't even park properly in a manual, you shouldn't be driving a manual car in the first place.

I edged out over a line by six inches , I didnt crash into someone at fifty miles per hour , Il pay the fine but enough of the high handed scolding please.

Im used to driving a large SUV , this was a small hatchback so I was dealing with a different beast altogether in terms of viewing outwards etc

I was wondering what kind of appeal grounds might exist when it comes to parking offences

suppose im asking if bringing up the fact im rusty in a manual and thus blaming this on my poor parking effort might sway the council

A dangerous thing to admit especially with children in the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You'd hardly park a bike there, let alone a car! Chancer I say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ironic, coming from the guy who tells us that there are too many disabled parking bays. If you have a disability, apply for a blue badge.

In the meantime, park legally and safely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Im used to driving a large SUV , this was a small hatchback so I was dealing with a different beast altogether in terms of viewing outwards etc

i'm not sure 'i'm used to driving a large car so find parking a small car difficult' counts as an excuse really. i wouldn't go using that if you were to appeal.

also, regardless of any reason you might have which made parking difficult; unless you remained in the car, it's hard *not* to see how well or badly you parked as you got out of the car. if you found parking the car more difficult than usual, you'd have had the opportunity to check as you got out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Appeal and you might very well find the charge (sensibly imo) being amended to parking in a dangerous position attracting 3 penalty points rather than a minor fine.

Advertisement