Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is your commute to work?

Options
  • 16-11-2015 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

I was interested in how long it was taking people to get to their place of work, did a search but last time this was asked was a couple of years ago seemingly

How long does your commute to work take?

How long does your commute to work take? 375 votes

1-15 minutes
    0% 1 vote
    16-30 minutes
    30% 113 votes
    31-45 minutes
    24% 92 votes
    46-60 minutes
    13% 51 votes
    61-90 minutes
    18% 70 votes
    91-120 minutes
    10% 40 votes
    121+ minutes
    2% 8 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

25 minutes. But if I leave 5-10 minutes later it will take me around an hour and 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

5-7 minutes on the bike. 15-20 minutes walking. Roughly. 2 set of traffic lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

5 minutes thank God, just being transferred to a building that's in walking distance of my place! Used to be a 30 minute or so grind on the peasant wagon... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

smash wrote: »
    25 minutes. But if I leave 5-10 minutes later it will take me around an hour and 15 minutes.

Think this is probably the case with an awful lot of people, myself included. I arrive to work earlier than necessary because if I left even ten minutes later I'd be 30 mins late for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

45 mins to an hour depending on traffic. All motorway though and I don't mind the drive, plus I can be flexible with start/finish times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

22 minutes but if I walk backwards it takes me twice that.
    Approximately. Unless it is raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

25 minutes, I walk to work spaced out listening to music in order to wake up myself up.

This is pretty much an accurate description of my progress along my way to work :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

8 minute walk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

About a 15-20 minute walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    You need to buy 2 more cars!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

About 12 minutes.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

About 10 seconds as my office is the box room next to my bedroom.

about 5-6 minutes though if I go via the kitchen for a fresh coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

about an hour, hoour and a quarter on a bad day. Its not bad really, as I cover 50 miles in this time. I got used to a commute of 45 - 60 mins when working in dublin (and that was an 8 mile journey!) and once you get used to it you just factor it in. An hour to myself in the morn is great, I get to plan my day and listen to the radio. An hour on the way home lets me unwind. An hour on the road (actually driving) is much better than an hour stuck in city traffic ....

Would not consider working anywhere with a commute longer than 90 mins. Thats my limit.

Never had an issue with the distance from home, except once, when I took the kids buggy with me in the boot, and the OH was without it for the day. No nipping back home at lunchtime to drop it off!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,097 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Feel sorry for the poor bastard who travels over 2hrs.

NIMAN wrote: »

Was thinking the same :p

NIMAN wrote: »
    He must have bought in Longford when the government pushed it as a 'commuter town' back in the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Anything between 30-40 minutes depending on how fast I drive.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

25 minute cycle. Wish it was a bit longer sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

90 seconds door to door, That almost doubles in winter though, have to wait for my windscreen to defrost :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

smash wrote: »
    He must have bought in Longford when the government pushed it as a 'commuter town' back in the boom.

Remember those adverts down the country.."Only 45 mins from Dublin".

They were right - if you have a wind behind you and a helicopter.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anything from 25 minutes to an hour and a quarter depending on time of year (schools being off in summer makes a big difference) and whether or not there's a crash on the M50 that day.

I have definitely noticed it getting longer over the 5 years I've been working here, the M50 upgrade wasn't nearly ambitious enough imho.

An hour to myself in the morn is great, I get to plan my day and listen to the radio. An hour on the way home lets me unwind. An hour on the road (actually driving) is much better than an hour stuck in city traffic ....

This is good news, potentially got a 60-75 minute each way daily commute coming up!

pajero12 wrote: »
    90 seconds door to door, That almost doubles in winter though, have to wait for my windscreen to defrost :mad:

Umm. If it's a 90 second drive.... why drive??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Between 2 to 2 and a half hours each way. Yay public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Almost 2 hours each way.. Leave at 6.30 home about 7 ish

Almost 2 hours each way.. Leave at 6.30 home about 7 ish
    I bet you set up your boards account the same day you set up your bebo account... :D

About 35-45 minutes for me in the car. I'd cycle the route (and normally do every now and again in summer) but to do it all the time it'd take 2 hours each way, and as much as I love cycling, that's too much time taken from my day imo.

Current record in the office is a guy who gets the train from East Galway to Newbridge. Takes 1.75 hours each way he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

6 minute walk to the underground, or I can take a bus outside my door if it's raining. 27 mins on underground, exits under my office. 2 mins to get into building, wait for lift and get to my desk.

Advertisement