Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild Bird feed - where to buy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Not for everyone but I find the black sunflower works better, if I put the hearts out the sparrows get stuck in and there gone in no time

Pet Mania Ballymun Dublin are doing 50% off black sunflower and Nyjer, possibly other bits but wasn't looking.

All 12.5KG
    Natures Feast Black sunflower €31.99 down to €16.00
    Natures Feast Black Nyjer Seed €36.99 down to €18.49

Picked up there 25KG Peanuts before €38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭Jayzesake

Why Do We Feed Wild Animals?
    We still don’t clearly understand how supplementary feeding affects bird populations, but there’s evidence that its enormous increase in popularity over the last century has changed the behavior and range of some species.

Conclusion:
    The birds that choose to come to my garden make my house a less lonely place. And that is why many of us feed animals — not merely because it’s satisfying to feel we have helped them, but because it surrounds us with creatures that know us, are able to forge bonds with us, have come to regard us as part of their world.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/10/magazine/why-do-we-feed-wild-animals.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

Eglinton wrote: »
    I did a lot of research on this over the weekend as I was determined to find better value.

I found this website http://newbawnwildbirdfeed.com/ based in Wexford. Far cheaper than anywhere else I've found so far. They seem to be in to their quality as that was definitely a concern of mine too.

!

I bought 5k of Niger/nyger seeds a couple of weeks ago in the local Garden Centre – the price was not marked and it was bought as part of a bundle of other stuff and so it was only when I got home I realised it cost €21.60- ie €4.40 a kilo!

I must say though – that it did attract birds which were never previously regulars- the Redpoll( we had 24 today) , the Goldfinch and the Siskin.

Price-wise ( as €4.40 per k is a bit steep) I then decided to try this place above as mentioned by Eglington and so on Sunday I ordered 25k online for €55 plus €7 euros courier delivery.
    That is €62 in all or just under €2.50 per kilo
    It was delivered to the door at 10am this morning – must say I’m very impressed and hope the birds are too !

Advertisement