Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Bigger Arms

Options
  • 13-11-2015 3:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi guys

Looking for some advice for getting bigger arms.

Is there a particular diet I need to pursue?

What about weights? How many? Do I need Dumbells etc?

How often? How long will it take?

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,577 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Are you in a gym?

Why do you just want bigger arms rather than to build more muscle overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Hi guys

Looking for some advice for getting bigger arms.

Is there a particular diet I need to pursue?

What about weights? How many? Do I need Dumbells etc?

How often? How long will it take?

Any advice appreciated

Eat plenty of good food and use the dumbells to exercise the biceps and triceps. Try YouTube for some routines.

You should do other exercises in conjunction to avoid putting on pounds in places you don't want it.

No great secret with the arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Someone quickly come up with a killer arm day workout. Biceps, triceps, forearms, the works!... For OP.... and me... so I can look swole on my 5km fun runs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

First time i walked into a gym..guy looks at me what do you want i said to lift weights and get bigger guy said eat the fcking table and train your bollocks off.The whole place was full of juice heads with high blood pressure...

The reason i say this is you remind me of my self and what i wanted when i first trained..mind you i dont think i will ever be happy about my arms

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

drdeadlift wrote: »
    First time i walked into a gym..guy looks at me what do you want i said to lift weights and get bigger guy said eat the fcking table and train your bollocks off.The whole place was full of juice heads with high blood pressure...

The reason I say this is you remind me of my self and what i wanted when i first trained..mind you I don't think I will ever be happy about my arms

That kinda hap hazard approach will get one fat, building muscle is a slow process however it can be relatively quick if your your young or a newbie and quicker if your both, the only muscle growth that's faster is muscle regrowth due to muscle memory

Regarding diet eating 500 calories over maintenance , a good calorie goal is bodyweight in lbs x15 so if your 196lbs(14 stone) that's about 3000 calories

The best type of training for muscle growth is training that promotes strength and to get strong you have to lift heavy and incorporate reverse pyramid training

So if you want big arms do the following workout twice a week

Biceps

Barbell curls

Do 1 or 2 warm up sets

Set 1 -4-6 reps as much weight as you can handle, if you cant get 4 the weight is too heavy if you can get more than 6 the weight is too light(35kg barbell is an example)

Set 2-6-8 reps drop the weight 10% and do as above(30 kg barbell as example)

Set 3-8-10 reps drop the weight another 10% and do as above(25kg barbell as example)

Triceps

Do dips or narrow bench press and repeat what I said for biceps

• Advertisement

I would be surprised if a person looking to just grow arm dimensions would give a dam about cal intake.

I would be surprised if a person looking to just grow arm dimensions would give a dam about cal intake.

Would you be surprised if the same persons overall goal was to look good? Bottom line of one eats to excess they will get fat and its not only their biceps that will grow but their waistline as well

Would you be surprised if the same persons overall goal was to look good? Bottom line if one eats to excess they will get fat and its not only their biceps that will grow but their waistline as well

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

...to get strong you have to lift heavy and incorporate reverse pyramid training

That was last month. This month men's fitness have decided some other useless approach is the best

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mellor wrote: »
    That was last month. This month men's fitness have decided some other useless approach is the best

When I first started training, reverse pyramids were all te rage. That was about 15 years ago. Have we circled back to them already?

I'm waiting to see a man with a handle bar moustache and red and white striped leotard on the front of men's fitness now. Someone is going to sell the "1870s Circus Strongman" routine sooner or later.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

As to the OP, you won't get decent looking arms by training arms alone. If nothing else, start with chin-ups and push-ups.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    I'm waiting to see a man with a handle bar moustache and red and white striped leotard on the front of men's fitness now. Someone is going to sell the "1870s Circus Strongman" routine sooner or later.

Today's article on T-Nation "Life is a circus; don't be the clown"

When I first started training, reverse pyramids were all te rage. That was about 15 years ago. Have we circled back to them already?
    I imagine they circled back to them a few times in the last 15 years.
    I'm training less than that and I've definitely been aware that they were fashionable for a while.

I think your man Martin Berkham/Leangains popularized them for a while.
    Moustache, Leopard skin, fig leaves and cartoon dumbells

http://wolfandiron.com/eugen-sandow-part-4-sandows-exercise-routine/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

finish your session with biceps 21s

guile4582 wrote: »
    finish your session with biceps 21s

Why just the biceps? If this notion works why not do it for everything?

they/them/theirs

i do a complete body workout 3 times a week
    when I want to bring up an area I will add more exercises for that muscle group for a select period

when i wanted to add some size on my biceps I ended my session wits 21s with perfect form and timing

that's the context my comment was based upon

Why just the biceps? If this notion works why not do it for everything?

Can you imagine 21s for squats?!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Muzi5434

This website has good exercises for biceps and triceps you could do!

http://exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ArmWt.html

i do a complete body workout 3 times a week
    when I want to bring up an area I will add more exercises for that muscle group for a select period

when i wanted to add some size on my biceps I ended my session wits 21s with perfect form and timing

that's the context my comment was based upon

Grand. But context is key here. The OP is currently doing nothing, as far as I can figure out, 21s in isolation from aren't an answer for him. Get me?

I'm not convinced 21s are an answer for anyone to be honest.

they/them/theirs

Grand. But context is key here. The OP is currently doing nothing, as far as I can figure out, 21s in isolation from aren't an answer for him. Get me?

I'm not convinced 21s are an answer for anyone to be honest.

what are you basing that on? I have seen actual development in that muscle group by using this exercise lashed in with my normal routine. My arms got bigger. so for me, being honest, i am convinced by this exercise
    I exhausted the muscle, it burned on the 7th rep of each of the 3 different positions. i worked the crap out of it -> it grew

• Advertisement

what are you basing that on? I have seen actual development in that muscle group by using this exercise lashed in with my normal routine. My arms got bigger. so for me, being honest, i am convinced by this exercise
    I exhausted the muscle, it burned on the 7th rep of each of the 3 different positions. i worked the crap out of it -> it grew

I'm not saying it won't work. But it's probably the extra volume that did the trick, not the method itself

they/them/theirs

None of that is really indicative of anything tbh.

You went from doing fullbody x3/week to doing fullbody x3/week plus extra bicep volume. It makes most sense that the extra volume did the trick rather than 21s being a magic growth protocol.

If you worked the crap out of it with 12-15 straight reps while standing on one foot you'd probably have gotten similar results. Focusing on the stablising balance muscles. "Hoppers" for biceps could be the next big thing.

OP - just start juicing mate

ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

OP - just start juicing mate

ffs

What's juicing m8?

Taking pears apples and oranges and putting them into a Juicer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What's juicing m8?

Steroids

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭DFGrange

I've given up on my forearms they just won't grow. No problems bulking up everywhere else but still have tyrannosaurus arms.

Any suggestions or is it just genetics?

DFGrange wrote: »
    I've given up on my forearms they just won't grow. No problems bulking up everywhere else but still have tyrannosaurus arms.

What were you doing for your forearms?

i'm the same, i figure by being able to rep 140kg for a deadlift that they're just doing fine

• Advertisement

This problem should have just stayed in your head,no need to look for the answer here when its obvious.Train harder eat well be patient.

Advertisement