Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not sleeping these days-should I still lift?

Options
  • 12-11-2015 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

At tailend of cold and only sleeping 3 hours max all week due to annoying cough. Weight lifted all week but today dawned on me that maybe it was counterproductive? If you lift but don't sleep properly then from what I've read, muscles wont repair? Not sure of the science but would you in fact lose muscle if lifting but not sleeping enough? Went through bad bout of insomnia during summer and anticipate same next summer .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

seefin wrote: »
    At tailend of cold and only sleeping 3 hours max all week due to annoying cough. Weight lifted all week but today dawned on me that maybe it was counterproductive? If you lift but don't sleep properly then from what I've read, muscles wont repair? Not sure of the science but would you in fact lose muscle if lifting but not sleeping enough? Went through bad bout of insomnia during summer and anticipate same next summer .

To be honest I don't think a week's bad sleep is going to kill you.

If you've made progress or even maintained your pre-ilness numbers it has been productive work.

I have two kids under two and have been chronically sleep deprived for three months. I'm still training are making progress; think it's keeping me sane. Not as good progress if I was getting a solid 8 a night, but what can I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yeah you need recovery but sleep isn't the only element of recovery from lifting.

Like said above, you might not make the same progress as on 8 hrs a night but you can make progress.

Just make sure you listen to your body. If you can lift, lift but know your limits on any given day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Excellent!! Was just afraid I was actually losing muscle by lifting. I love it so really didn't want to stop even for a week. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Nice to give everyone else in the gym your cold though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Work out at home. I probably have passed onto everyone at work though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement