Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many of Ireland's players are World Class?

Options
  • 11-11-2015 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I keep hearing about Ireland's world class players but I'm not convinced. For arguments sake we will define world class as the top 5 in their positions. By my reckoning only Sexton is a definite. Are Sean O'Brien, Cian Healy, Peter O'Mahony, Connor Murray, Tommy Bowe, Rob Kearney and Henshaw really world class by such a definition?

There are very few countries playing high level rugby so to be in the top 5 players in the world in your position shouldn't be too difficult if you are truly world class

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

WarZ wrote: »
    I keep hearing about Ireland's world class players but I'm not convinced. For arguments sake we will define world class as the top 5 in their positions. By my reckoning only Sexton is a definite. Are Sean O'Brien, Cian Healy, Peter O'Mahony, Connor Murray, Tommy Bowe, Rob Kearney and Henshaw really world class by such a definition?

There are very few countries playing high level rugby so to be in the top 5 players in the world in your position shouldn't be too difficult if you are truly world class

We have four world class players IMO - O'Brien, POC, Sexton and Healy (before injury). Murray and Heaslip are very close to that status.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Montroseee wrote: »
    We have four world class players IMO - O'Brien, POC, Sexton and Healy (before injury). Murray and Heaslip are very close to that status.

Montroseee are you sitting down mate? I've got some bad news about POC to break to you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Montroseee wrote: »

As mentioned POC is gone and Healy is post injury so he's no longer world class and to be honest at the moment he's struggling to be international class.

Is O'Brien really in top five 7s in the world?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ugh. Do we really need another thread in which everyone just bails in and tells us how we're deluding ourselves about how good we are?

Maybe we could park the relentless negativity and self-loathing for a bit.

Just a suggestion, knock yourselves out if you like.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,297 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as "world class" is a totally subjective term this thread can lead to no good

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    as "world class" is a totally subjective term this thread can lead to no good

I've explained, top 5 in the world in their position

• Subscribers Posts: 41,297 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

and as ive said...... totally subjective

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sexton most likely and SOB at a stretch assuming McCaw has retired.

Nobody else is in the reckoning right now.
    I'd have any of NZ's three scrummies ahead of Murray.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If that's the criteria, then I reckon SOB is unquestionably world class. Only McCaw and Pocock (or is he an 8 now?) are superior. Sexton for sure, but I'd say SOB is better on his position. Healy was there but his form has dropped off a cliff since the injury. Beat at a push? That's it really.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    and as ive said...... totally subjective

No point discussing anything on the rugby forum ever then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,740 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Sexton most likely and SOB at a stretch assuming McCaw has retired.

Nobody else is in the reckoning right now.
    I'd have any of NZ's three scrummies ahead of Murray.

I forgot Murray. Don't buy that about the NZ scrum halves, only Smith is better by my reckoning. Wouldn't have Genia ahead of him either. Although calling him world class now might be a stretch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

World class should mean you would make a dream world 30 man squad. 2 players for each position.
    we have a lot of good players, but sexton is the only one even remotely close to world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Healy, Best, Henderson, O'Brien, Murray, Sexton and Rob Kearney are world class. They may not make an New Zealand team but they would be in with a shout on any other test side.

Other players have had purple patches in their careers which could be considered world class, but injury or other loss of form / confidence has intervened, to wit, Tommy Bowe, Luke Fitzgerald, Peter O'Mahony, Andrew Trimble.

Some others are making great headway but unproven; Henshaw, Zebo, Ruddock and some others.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Healy, Best, Henderson, O'Brien, Murray, Sexton and Rob Kearney are world class. They may not make an New Zealand team but they would be in with a shout on any other test side.

Other players have had purple patches in their careers which could be considered world class, but injury or other loss of form / confidence has intervened, to wit, Tommy Bowe, Luke Fitzgerald, Peter O'Mahony, Andrew Trimble.

Some others are making great headway but unproven; Henshaw, Zebo, Ruddock and some others.

Oh come on. Ruddock is 25 I think his world class ship has sailed. Ditto for Zebo. He's 25 and a back 3 player if he was going to be world class he would be starting for Ireland by now!

None of Fitzgerald, Bowe, Trimble (seriously?) and O'Mahony are world class, in fact all of them bar O'Mahony struggle to start for an international team that would be very average by top tier terms.

Best, Henderson, Murray, Kearney are definitely not world class although Henderson as a lock has time on his side and seems to be going that way

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Jack McGrath, Conor Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

If you're talking top players then you have to ask yourself what Irish players would get into the AB 1st XV.

None of them.

Would any Irish players get into an AB squad? Maybe Murray & Sexton (and a pre-injury POC), maybe. But that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Oh come on. Ruddock is 25 I think his world class ship has sailed. Ditto for Zebo. He's 25 and a back 3 player if he was going to be world class he would be starting for Ireland by now!

None of Fitzgerald, Bowe, Trimble (seriously?) and O'Mahony are world class, in fact all of them bar O'Mahony struggle to start for an international team that would be very average by top tier terms.

Best, Henderson, Murray, Kearney are definitely not world class although Henderson as a lock has time on his side and seems to be going that way

Would ruddocks world class ship be in the top 5 ships in the world though??

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

If you're talking top players then you have to ask yourself what Irish players would get into the AB 1st XV.

None of them.

Would any Irish players get into an AB squad? Maybe Murray & Sexton (and a pre-injury POC), maybe. But that's about it.

I could make a case for Sexton and SOB now we're post-Carter and McCaw; also Healy given the poor standard of the AB front row.

I could also see Best, McGrath and Henderson on the ABs bench easily enough. Which isn't calling them World Class so much a comment on the ABs bench, for all the ABs bench is the best in rugby.

Solely haven't mentioned Murray as he seems so much more the sort of scrum-half the Boks would have produced than the Kiwis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,068 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Toner and Heaslip for sure. They're the best on earth at what they do.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What specifically is that in each case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

What specifically is that in each case?

Be tall and post lovely instragram photos. Respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Sangre wrote: »
    Be tall and post lovely instragram photos. Respectively.

Luke Charteris FTW on both counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

SOB (tragically) isn't close to the player he was 4 years ago (ditto Healy).

If we are going to maintain he is still world class I'd like to know.....what category would you have put him in 4 years ago?

Also arguably 4 years ago O'Brien was a better 6 than he was 7, and he was the second best 6 in our squad.

I think we overrate our players on a world stage and the vast majority of us have far too little visibility into the players on other teams (particularly down south) to do any meaningful comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

World class is such a subjective term.

What I'd be interested to know is how many world class players the OP thinks England, Wales and Scotland have. Just as a comparison.

I was thinking about this and this is what I've come up with

Scotland - 0
    England - 2 (Corbisero, Tuilagi)
    Wales - 5 (AWJ, Warburton, Davies, North, Halfpenny)
    Ireland - 3 (Healy, O'Brien, Sexton)

The two English players are potentially generous shouts but I do think when fit/not on the naughty step they can mix it with the best.

Anyway there aren't many world class players about at the minute. If you throw France and Italy into the mix you'd probably only add Picamoles and Parisse.

A few young guys have the potential to be amongst the best in the world. Russell and Bennett in Scotland, Henshaw and Henderson in Ireland and Watson and Ford in England. They aren't there yet though.

The next step would be to decide how many world class players NZ, Australia, SA and Argentina have.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

padser wrote: »
    SOB (tragically) isn't close to the player he was 4 years ago (ditto Healy).

If we are going to maintain he is still world class I'd like to know.....what category would you have put him in 4 years ago?

Also arguably 4 years ago O'Brien was a better 6 than he was 7, and he was the second best 6 in our squad.

I think we overrate our players on a world stage and the vast majority of us have far too little visibility into the players on other teams (particularly down south) to do any meaningful comparison

I would say he is a better player now than he was 4 years ago; just different and in a different system. He is not the ball carrier he once was (nor does he have ballcarrying colleagues of the same stature as Ferris) but his presence at the breakdown, handling, and decision making (mostly...) have improved a huge amount for my money and he's a much more influential player for it. I would have made polite but negative noises if someone had suggested he was World Class four years ago; it's probably correct today.

The very best players are those who continue learning and adding to their game, adapting and evolving. Fitness pending, I think we'll look back in six years or so and use O'Brien as an example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

These sort of questions are daft.

Healy is apparently world class but no mention of Henderson? Is Henderson world class, maybe not yet.... but how can Irelands player of the tournament (2 MOTMs? and it should have been a 3rd only lobster hands Earls got a MOTM) not be world class, whenever Healy is?.... a player who has been going backwards and overtaken by McGrath in many peoples opinion.... Doesnt make much sense really.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭typhoony

sexton only for me, Jack McGrath isnt that far off actually he maybe has 1 other loosehead in front of him who are better if we are talking top 2 in world for every position, Healy shipped too many injuries recent years and seems to going backwards. too many good backrowers right now for any of ours to figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

These sort of questions are daft.

Healy is apparently world class but no mention of Henderson? Is Henderson world class, maybe not yet.... but how can Irelands player of the tournament (2 MOTMs? and it should have been a 3rd only lobster hands Earls got a MOTM) not be world class, whenever Healy is?.... a player who has been going backwards and overtaken by McGrath in many peoples opinion.... Doesnt make much sense really.

:mad:

If I was to define world class, I'd say it was a measure of whether a particular player would get into any of the national squads world wide.

So squad rather than starting 15, since if you take New Zealand as the benchmark, many of their squad would walk into any national team without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

We simply don't have any world class players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

If I was to define world class, I'd say it was a measure of whether a particular player would get into any of the national squads world wide.

So squad rather than starting 15, since if you take New Zealand as the benchmark, many of their squad would walk into any national team without question.

There are also plenty of kiwi players around who have a couple of AB caps and are nothing special.

Advertisement