Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Dinkie wrote: »
    I have a couple of very basic aerclub question.... but am unable to find the answer.

I want to book an Aerclub companion ticket. Is this a one way deal or can I use it for a return booking?

I'm always on a serious budget when travelling outside work, however, the OH and myself are hoping to go to NY for a treat (wedding / honeymoon) next year.

I know that I can't use the companion ticket and the business class upgrades at once - but am I better off buying 2 saver tickets and using the upgrade? Or just use the companion ticket.

Thanks.. I know these are basic questions.

Companion ticket is on the same basis as your own - if you book one way for yourself your companion will get the same. Only point is look at the value you get for the use of the companion flight.

If you fly to NY then yes, saver and upgrade is an option but there is no guarantee there will be 2 upgrade seats available - booking long in advance may help with that.

Again, it depends on the price of the 1 business class fare for you as to whether it is worth it to book that ticket for yourself and seek a companion ticket (which I believe will cost you €283 for taxes and charges) - if Tier Points towards next year's total are important you will also earn 250 points in this way for your business class flight.

I have done this a few times and usually just book business and use the companion ticket - the final total cost is not usually a long way off 2 plus fares if you can be flexible on dates and book well in advance, if anything it is harder in Avios times than Gold Circle as all the BA fliers are taking up the good seats too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Dinkie wrote: »
    I want to book an Aerclub companion ticket. Is this a one way deal or can I use it for a return booking?

I'm always on a serious budget when travelling outside work, however, the OH and myself are hoping to go to NY for a treat (wedding / honeymoon) next year.

I know that I can't use the companion ticket and the business class upgrades at once - but am I better off buying 2 saver tickets and using the upgrade? Or just use the companion ticket.

Im currently in New York, having used my companion ticket for herself ( booked the full return trip over and back)

My Concierge status expires in about a month and I wanted to get something out of it before it expired (I was also not even going to requalify for Silver, so need at least 100 more tier credits to do so).

I was thinking about booking economy and hoping for the upgrades, but didn’t want to chance it (there were about 3-4 free J seats on yesterday afternoons flight, so probably would have got the upgrades). My reasoning for booking business from the outset was that if we weren’t going in business, I didn’t want to go at all!! And I wanted to know at time of booking that J seats were secure. I didn’t want to wait until 2-3 days before to get it confirmed.

Yes it’s cost about an extra €700-800 overall that I don’t really have to spare, but fcuk it. It’s the business class trip I wanted, and I’ve effectively bought myself into at least Silver status for another. ( we also stayed at a hotel close to JFK last night for free using my IHG points, so that mitigated against some of the extra cost of the airfare)

I hadn’t been TATL in about 7 years, and my last 2 trips to BOS 7 years ago were in business, so I’ve decided I no longer want to do a trip like this in economy ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Well you probably will discover you are still platinum as the system will drop you 1 level each year if you fail to meet the tier credits needed. Provided you make enough flights, you need a minimum number of flights per annum, 2 for Silver, 4 for Platinum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

thebiglad wrote: »
    Companion ticket is on the same basis as your own - if you book one way for yourself your companion will get the same. Only point is look at the value you get for the use of the companion flight.

If you fly to NY then yes, saver and upgrade is an option but there is no guarantee there will be 2 upgrade seats available - booking long in advance may help with that.

Again, it depends on the price of the 1 business class fare for you as to whether it is worth it to book that ticket for yourself and seek a companion ticket (which I believe will cost you €283 for taxes and charges) - if Tier Points towards next year's total are important you will also earn 250 points in this way for your business class flight.

I have done this a few times and usually just book business and use the companion ticket - the final total cost is not usually a long way off 2 plus fares if you can be flexible on dates and book well in advance, if anything it is harder in Avios times than Gold Circle as all the BA fliers are taking up the good seats too.
    Im currently in New York, having used my companion ticket for herself ( booked the full return trip over and back)

My Concierge status expires in about a month and I wanted to get something out of it before it expired (I was also not even going to requalify for Silver, so need at least 100 more tier credits to do so).

I was thinking about booking economy and hoping for the upgrades, but didn’t want to chance it (there were about 3-4 free J seats on yesterday afternoons flight, so probably would have got the upgrades). My reasoning for booking business from the outset was that if we weren’t going in business, I didn’t want to go at all!! And I wanted to know at time of booking that J seats were secure. I didn’t want to wait until 2-3 days before to get it confirmed.

Yes it’s cost about an extra €700-800 overall that I don’t really have to spare, but fcuk it. It’s the business class trip I wanted, and I’ve effectively bought myself into at least Silver status for another. ( we also stayed at a hotel close to JFK last night for free using my IHG points, so that mitigated against some of the extra cost of the airfare)

I hadn’t been TATL in about 7 years, and my last 2 trips to BOS 7 years ago were in business, so I’ve decided I no longer want to do a trip like this in economy ever again.

Thanks!

I think I might do as ye suggested and book the business... it is a special occassion :)

I'm the same as you AndyBoBandy... I think this will be my only year at concierge level, so want to make the most of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I decided I didn't want to do long haul economy ever again about ten years ago.

Nevertheless, for cost reasons I currently do long haul economy every few weeks.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement

Noxegon wrote: »
    I decided I didn't want to do long haul economy ever again about ten years ago.

Nevertheless, for cost reasons I currently do long haul economy every few weeks.

As of this summer I no longer have family living in America, so no longer have any need to go apart from a holiday which this current trip is. After that, I’ll be done with America for the foreseeable future. Havent had to go for work in 11 years, and despite working for an American company, I’ll probably not need to go again for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭NSAman

Currently on hold with Aer Club for nearly 40 minutes.

Simple question:

I have upgrades that I need to use before 29th November on TATL. I have booked a flight for a relative for the coming Saturday with AVIOS. Can I use the upgrades to upgrade her? Anyone know any easy way to contact Aer Lingus about this? Phoning from the USA.

Aer Club is terrible for contacting someone. BTW I HAVE filled out the form last week online, without anyone getting back to me.

Since IAG took over, things are not as easy as they were.

NSAman wrote: »
    I have upgrades that I need to use before 29th November on TATL. I have booked a flight for a relative for the coming Saturday with AVIOS. Can I use the upgrades to upgrade her?

Just before qualifying for Concierge, I was flying to London the same day my sister was flying to Boston, so I brought her to the AerClub checkin desk to check in, and asked if I could give her my upgrade (as I'd be getting 4 soon at Concierge level), and a quick phone call to the head of check in and they said yes, no problem, and upgraded her to J.

Can you be at the airport when the relative is checking in? of not for 1 of teh journeys, I'd suggest hanging on in there on the phone, as if there's availability, I'm sure they'll look after you.

Just before qualifying for Concierge, I was flying to London the same day my sister was flying to Boston, so I brought her to the AerClub checkin desk to check in, and asked if I could give her my upgrade (as I'd be getting 4 soon at Concierge level), and a quick phone call to the head of check in and they said yes, no problem, and upgraded her to J.

Can you be at the airport when the relative is checking in? of not for 1 of the journeys, I'd suggest hanging on in there on the phone, as if there's availability, I'm sure they'll look after you.

Still hanging on the phone here with the MOST ANNOYING song on recording.

Unfortunately, I am in the US and she is flying here to meet me.

I am really annoyed at this stage. 1 hour and nothing but this damned song playing and playing.

I am already Concierge for next year so this is infuriating. Lost it this year thanks to 20 tier points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Unfortunately, I am in the US and she is flying here to meet me.

I am really annoyed at this stage. 1 hour and nothing but this damned song playing and playing.

I am already Concierge for next year so this is infuriating. Lost it this year thanks to 20 tier points.

I’ve found them more responsive to email than anything else TBH

• Advertisement

blackwhite wrote: »
    I’ve found them more responsive to email than anything else TBH

Thanks blackwhite, have send them email but to date nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Thanks blackwhite, have send them email but to date nothing.

If all else fails, a few tweets highlighting the non-responses can sometimes help too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Currently on hold with Aer Club for nearly 40 minutes.

Simple question:

I have upgrades that I need to use before 29th November on TATL. I have booked a flight for a relative for the coming Saturday with AVIOS. Can I use the upgrades to upgrade her?

Info on the AerClub section on the website re concierge benefits states you can't use upgrades on a reward booking.

https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/using-aerclub/tiers-and-benefits/#/tab-3-concierge

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Diego Tristan

Relevant text..

Four complimentary upgrades*

'Enjoy four complimentary upgrades per anniversary year to business class on a transatlantic flight.
    First book your economy flights and then request your Concierge upgrade by emailing or calling your dedicated helpline, on the back of your card, with your flight details. Upgrades are subject to AerClub allocation availability.
    If you move up to Concierge before your next anniversary date, you can avail of four complimentary upgrades to be used in advance of your tier expiry date. Your complimentary upgrades are not available on reward flights. If unused, upgrades will expire on your tier expiry date.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

If its the song I remember, it's a very rural Irish tune that is nauseating by about play two.

Also, I'm fairly sure the phone numbers go nowhere. I've never got an answer and I've been on hold for 90 mins plus before. My father, same result. Tried from different time zones, when Europe is asleep etc etc. Nothing.

However I have been called fairly promptly after email them.

Twitter team has no ability to do anything, it's farmed out to a marketing/customersupport firm I believe.

Never had to wait more than 5 minutes to get picked up when I have called in the past to use an upgrade and thats with the published number not the special concierge line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

Has anyone managed to get a mapping of Fare Basis codes to tier points for AerClub?

Really struggling to get an answer from AL and all economy flights seem to be discounted getting half or quarter tier points.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

Do you mean which fare classes just get 7.5 tier credits? It’s A,Z,W,T.

Its clearly explained on the website
    https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/using-aerclub/tiers-and-benefits/#/tab-0-green

Scroll down to Earning Tier Credits

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The annoying thing is there seems to be no way of seeing what the fare class is until the flight is bought and paid for. On the older website, you could see the fare class before you submitted payment.

• Advertisement

You can see by clicking on the fare basis right at the end on the app before you book, or on the same page you select the flight and fare on the website. It’s a bit hidden away alright, but it it there.

Oh interesting, I must try with the app next time.

It’s under fare rules on the website, fare basis on the app.

The website is better as you see it earlier in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Remember to scroll to the bottom of "Fare rules" underneath "About your fare" AFTER selecting from saver, plus etc...

You'll see something like
    Fare Basis Codes
    ZOW17 - EI572

Its clearly explained on the website
    https://www.aerlingus.com/aerclub/using-aerclub/tiers-and-benefits/#/tab-0-green

Scroll down to Earning Tier Credits

It's not clearly explained at all or I wouldn't be asking the question. Nowhere does that page answer the question I asked. In fact it is very misleading.

So far I see that:
    Saver does not mean 15
    Plus does not mean 25
    Advantage always means 50

Instead you have to map the fare basis code.

What would be best is if AL provided you with the Tier Points as you booked.

What I simply want is a mapping from AL on fare basis to tell me what number of tier points you get with each code on Europe/Transatlantic.

If A,Z,W,T always mean 7.5 tier points it should be clearly indicated rather than forcing people to click on an obscure link and then calculate and guess.

It's also simply not logical that a Saver or Plus flight both go to 7.5. Surely the Plus flight should go from 25 to 15 instead of 25 to 7.5 in a reasonable scenario.

BA/KLM/Delta etc all manage to do this transparently.

I agree, it’s very much hidden and non transparent.

I’ve always got 25 for plus fares though, it’s just the saver fares get less tier credits. Are you sure you only got 7.5 with a plus fare? I would query that with them.

Yeah 7.5 with a plus fare is definitely wrong. You should get 25 credits regardless of the fare class.

Stark wrote: »
    Yeah 7.5 with a plus fare is definitely wrong. You should get 25 credits regardless of the fare class.

Not happening and I have queried it. They have always responded that it's the fare basis code that you get tier points on and not the Fare Type. I've done 43 AL flights this year, 10 more than last year and barely making Concierge which I did easily last year so something had changed and it appears that AL are making pretty much all non business class flights discounted so minimising tier points. So my TAL that are not business class now only accrue 25 tier points even if they are plus.

As an aside - if you are concierge you really don't need anything other than the basic saver flight. FF never put luggage in the hold, you get your priority etc and they give you a seat at the airport. So it's basically setup to stop you getting status in your second year. It has to be the worst designed FF programme out there where year two is designed to annoy you and make it impossible to retain status. I'm Gold on Flying Blue, Silver on BA and they make it so much easier.

• Advertisement

25 points is what I've always got for a plus fare

Advertisement