Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracking me...

Options
  • 09-11-2015 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭

So I'm about to start with a personal trainer & nutritionist... Big change to my life & I'm looking forward to it :confused:

I got myself a Fitbit as an extra motivator... so I could keep track of my activity and set myself targets for improvement. However, it does sweet FA!!! it tracks steps, but not cycling or swimming. For sleep tracking you need to tap it 5 times, it never works first time, so you do it again... by the time you've got it to work you're wide awake...

I'm thinking of swapping it for a Jawbone UP2. I believe its got a function that'll track cycling... I understand that like the Fitbit, it is not waterproof. I wear the Fitbit constantly, in the shower, in the pool etc... and it's never been a problem, although its never too extreme. Will the UP be able to manage the same?

I also want something that looks okay on... I'll rarely remove it & want it to look okay with my other (man) jewelery... Also, I wear a nice watch, so don't want something with a face/dial/clock & the UP2 is the most simple I have found.

I know it doesn't have heart rate monitor, but I'm told I don't need that function as a novice...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I should have made my query more clear...

Can I use it for cycling & can has anyone used theirs around water/in the pool?

http://www.cnet.com/products/jawbone-up2

367979.jpg

Incredible amount of feedback. Thanks for the advice. I'll try to respond to each of you individually!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I think you need to invest a bit more if you want automatic tracking. My wife is using fitbit charge hr and it does auto sleep tracking but to set it into activity she needs to press the button.
    Myself I use Basis Peak and it automatically detects whether I'm sleeping, walking, running, cycling(does not work on stationary bike), swimming(never tried) or just exercise. So it is more automated compared to fitbit charge.
    I do not think that jawbone up2 will do proper activity tracking. I remember reading that up3 does some but only the ones that are step related the other ones you need to put manually in the app.
    I my opinion trackers without hr monitor are a bit pointless as without hr monitor most of the info that you get is pure estimates. Without hr you mostly comparing the number of steps.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Can't offer advice on the UP2, but my Charge HR doesn't track cycling, per se, but will track my heart rate while I'm cycling. Apps like Strava could be used in conjunction with it. If I went swimming, I'd just manually input that into the FitBit app. Again, not sure if the Jawbone one would do the same, but can't see why not.

Although, if you're just starting out, is it worth getting caught up on heart rates and cals in etc? Sometimes the extra info can add extra stress instead of just enjoying the experience.

So, I dumped the Fitbit and got the Jawbone... I'm not too concerned about heart-rate, as I'm only starting out and want a constant motivation to improve my lifestyle rather than getting into the nitty gritty. Some fitness would be a bonus before I start measuring the stress on my heart.

The jawbone is so much more comfortable to wear, is about half the size of the Fitbit & it looks less conspicuous, as it is more jewelry like & less rubbery prison tracker looking... so I don't mind wearing it all the time. I do wear it constantly and rarely take it off whether leisure time or in work, this is obviously a benefit for tracking my activity. Also the Fitbit used to snag on stuff and fall off... (I was secretly happy about this the last time it happened), but so far the Jawbone seems very secure

The sleep function works great, as opposed to the Fitbit, which I didn't use at all, do to its ****ness.

I have worn it in the shower a couple of times & no adverse effects. I'm still reluctant to wear it into the pool... which i could do with the Fitbit.

The software is less of a excel spreadsheet and more conversational (?)... but doesn't provide loads of stats up front. So its the polar opposite to Fitbit, I'd say the best solution is somewhere in the middle.

The food tracker is actually usable... Fitbit never worked for me. I've started adding my food, so I'll see how I get on with this function.

So far Jawbone 8/10, Fitbit 3/10 (I hated wearing it)
    If the jawbone works while cycling & doesn't explode while in the pool, it'll get more points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Bluefoam wrote: »
    So, I dumped the Fitbit and got the Jawbone... I'm not too concerned about heart-rate, as I'm only starting out and want a constant motivation to improve my lifestyle rather than getting into the nitty gritty. Some fitness would be a bonus before I start measuring the stress on my heart.

The jawbone is so much more comfortable to wear, is about half the size of the Fitbit & it looks less conspicuous, as it is more jewelry like & less rubbery prison tracker looking... so I don't mind wearing it all the time. I do wear it constantly and rarely take it off whether leisure time or in work, this is obviously a benefit for tracking my activity. Also the Fitbit used to snag on stuff and fall off... (I was secretly happy about this the last time it happened), but so far the Jawbone seems very secure

The sleep function works great, as opposed to the Fitbit, which I didn't use at all, do to its ****ness.

I have worn it in the shower a couple of times & no adverse effects. I'm still reluctant to wear it into the pool... which i could do with the Fitbit.

The software is less of a excel spreadsheet and more conversational (?)... but doesn't provide loads of stats up front. So its the polar opposite to Fitbit, I'd say the best solution is somewhere in the middle.

The food tracker is actually usable... Fitbit never worked for me. I've started adding my food, so I'll see how I get on with this function.

So far Jawbone 8/10, Fitbit 3/10 (I hated wearing it)
    If the jawbone works while cycling & doesn't explode while in the pool, it'll get more points.

Is there a Jawbone Up 3 now?

I'd go with a Garmin if I had the money.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Just out of interest which Fitbit did you have?

It was a flex. I won't wear anything with a face on it... Because I wear a watch as well.

Is there a Jawbone Up 3 now?

I'd go with a Garmin if I had the money.

The Up3 is similar to the two, but with heart rate monitor and more awkward strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The Up3 is similar to the two, but with heart rate monitor and more awkward strap.

Up3 does not do continuous heart rate monitoring. It only monitors passive and resting heart rate. I don't think that is much use for people who do cardio.

• Advertisement
Advertisement