Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Increase due to "Rent Certainty?" Proposals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well the higher rate of tax was reduced by 1% and the threashold for entering the higher bracket increased in the last budget and the USC rates have been changed in this budget (will take effect in Jan). So you should have something extra in your payslip since Jan compared to last year and will see a little more again next year.

Not saying its enough to make up the difference in rent increases but its not true to say net pay is increasing a bit too.

Yep, FG's electioneering stunt (most benefiting those who are already on very good wages and thus statistically likely to have bought already) has already been cancelled out by those who will now face rent hikes as a result of this latest half-baked notion.

All they had to do is copy/paste what is best practise elsewhere, but as usual they couldn't even do that without screwing it up.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    most benefiting those who are already on very good wages .

Yes benefiting the people who pay the most tax and subsidise those who pay little or no tax. People in the higher tax bracket need to have their tax reduced further to make things in anyway fair. I'm confident FG will continue to reduce the tax burden on people in the higher bracket as they have done so in the last two budgets.

lima wrote: »

In short, a landlord receiving below market rate (and potentially happy to do so!) has been spooked enough by the proposals to increase their rental charge to come into line with market prices, leaving a woman in a situation where she cannot find similar accommodation.
    A quick scan through Daft for properties in that area for rent at €900 showed up just one property - a studio apartment.

It would be remiss not to consider the timing of this movement, and the aforementioned 'Rent Certainties' / meddling / interference by the Govt.

Anyone and everyone who can sit and think for a moment could have come to the conclusion that the rumoured methods would lead to this exact situation happening.

http://www.stephenkinsella.net/2015/06/08/we-tried-rent-controls-before-and-they-didnt-work/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yes benefiting the people who pay the most tax and subsidise those who pay little or no tax. People in the higher tax bracket need to have their tax reduced further to make things in anyway fair. I'm confident FG will continue to reduce the tax burden on people in the higher bracket as they have done so in the last two budgets.

That assumes FG will be re-elected and/or in a position to dictate policy after the GE.. both of which are far from certain.

The tax net needs to be broadened so that everyone pays something.. instead though they've removed still more people from the Income Tax/USC net and a "giveaway" reminiscent of their predecessors

If they are re-elected I won't be surprised to see a Spring Statement (after the 1916 silliness of course) that reverses most of these cuts, either directly or indirectly with other taxes like the proposed Broadcasting Tax (which hasn't gone away!)

Either way though, this latest intervention will only make the situation a lot harder for those already renting, or those struggling to find somewhere.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    That assumes FG will be re-elected and/or in a position to dictate policy after the GE.. both of which are far from certain.

There is no doubt they will be re-elected, there are enough people in the country with enough cop on to understand how they have got the country back on track and are the party to take us forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

So this is why my landlord is raising my rent by 20%.

Finally found a place I really want to move into. Got outbid and now my rent is jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭hanna200

boardies can you please advise me what is this all about?

am I allowed to review the rent in 2016 or should I do it now? how rarely or how often am I allowed to proceed with the rent review from 01.01.2016?

until when should I look into this scenario? I'm on tracker and I don't want to be in a situation that i won't be able to afford repayments / increase the rent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

There is no doubt they will be re-elected, there are enough people in the country with enough cop on to understand how they have got the country back on track and are the party to take us forward.

Well is that really true? Because technically they did exactly what FF were doing (and this was FF's plan not Fine Gaels). I don't see any great long term strategists in that party. It all seems to be short term solutions that just paper over the cracks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Mod Note: Politics and FG policies can be discussed in the politics section of boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement