Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this make sense?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Absolam wrote: »
    Crucifixion is a relatively mild torture? I'd heard it was a doddle but.....

Did you now? Likely you heard wrong. I imagine it is quite awful. Do not make the linguistic error of jumping from "relatively mild" to "mild". The key word being "relatively". Relative to some of the tortures our species has invented to visit upon other members of our species, the torture described in the story of Jesus is very much RELATIVELY mild.
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    He doesn't display any greater faith or certitude, or any greater miracle-working agency, than many other characters in scripture

If I was going around achieving "faith healing, exorcisms, resurrection of the dead and control over nature" I am certainly going to start going around thinking I am something more than human.
    Plus he displays distinctly undivine human weaknesses

Not relevant to what I am saying at all. Even if I was certain of an after life of bliss and dominion, I would still have human responses to my impending discomforts. Biology would demand little else. I still would not presume to call my transition from one life to the next a "sacrifice" of my life, or a "death" however.
    Besides, as I've pointed out already, for a critique of Christian beliefs to be meaningful, it has to be a critique of what Christians actually believe

Yea cause they are one ubiquitous group who only believe one thing. That is why there is over 33000 branches and sects and offshoots of it. Perhaps you mistake, as has been done on this forum many times in the past, what individual doctrines suggest groups should believe, and what they actually do. Like Transubstantiation for a useful example to highlight my point here.... as a good example of this error on the forum before. Clearly Catholic Doctrines say one thing. What Catholics on the ground believe however can be quite different.
    Perhaps so, but that's a different point from the one the OP raises.

Lucky then I was not replying to the OP, but something _you_ said.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,087 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

If I was going around achieving "faith healing, exorcisms, resurrection of the dead and control over nature" I am certainly going to start going around thinking I am something more than human.
    Well, but that might partly be because your atheism precludes you from thinking that there might be a God who is working through you. We can't assume that a theist would come the same conclusions as you would.

The question of what you would believe in this circumstance isn't strictly relevant. The question is whether Jesus knew, or believed, that he was the Incarnation of God. If he didn't, or mightn't have, then arguments which presume that he must have found himself to be omniscient and omnipotent don't stand up.
    Yea cause they are one ubiquitous group who only believe one thing. That is why there is over 33000 branches and sects and offshoots of it. Perhaps you mistake, as has been done on this forum many times in the past, what individual doctrines suggest groups should believe, and what they actually do. Like Transubstantiation for a useful example to highlight my point here.... as a good example of this error on the forum before. Clearly Catholic Doctrines say one thing. What Catholics on the ground believe however can be quite different.
    On that view, an argument which presumes' Jesus omniscience and shows it to be inconsistent with his claims about dying and about viewing his death as a sacrifice doesn't achieve much. At most, it shows that those Christians who do believe that Jesus was omniscient might have a hard time justifying that belief, based on what it says in the scripture. Which is basically an argument entirely consistent with the orthodox Christian belief, which is that Jesus was not omniscient.

Could there be Christians who think that Jesus was omnipotent and omniscient? Yes, there could. Are they wrong, by reference to their own sources of authority (like the scripture, church teaching)? Yes, and this argument shows why. But it doesn't, I think, do any more than that.
    Lucky then I was not replying to the OP, but something _you_ said.
    I think you're referring here to what I said to Saipanne back in post 88? What I said there is that the scriptural accounts do not present Jesus as either omniscient or omnipotent. And I think what you're saying here tends rather to back me up. If he were omniscient and omnipotent, why would he say the things he is supposed to have about his death, sacrifice, etc? (As you say yourself, you wouldn't.) If his followers or those around him or who, after his death, commented on these events thought he was omniscient or omnipotent, how could they have said the things they are supposed to have said? The parsimonious explanation for all this is that he didn't consider himself to possess these attributes, his immediate followers didn't consider him to, and the likes of Paul, writing afterwards, didn't consider him to. And the parsimonious explanation for all that is that he didn't, in fact, have these characteristics.

And I imagine you wouldn't quarrel with that last point. If Jesus existed at all, he was not omnipotent or omniscient.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Didn't he say something about rebuilding a temple in three days?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,087 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, reportedly. If you take the scriptures as accurate reportage, then he seems to have prophesied his own resurrection. But prophesying that something will happen is not at all the same as knowing that it will happen, still less as knowing that it will happen because you are omniscient. The scriptures are full of prophets. Nobody thinks that this means they are omniscient or divine, and they certainly don't behave as if they thought so themselves.

Well, but that might partly be because your atheism precludes you from thinking that there might be a God who is working through you.

You just made my point for me, thanks. That is basically exactly what I have been saying. The capability to perform those miracles is likely to offer one a level of certitude not available to others as to the existence of this god and after life. And proportionally the more certain this person is that there is an after life, the less meaningful becomes calling anything he did a "sacrifice". And certainly lines like "God gave us his only son", which I have heard often, become a frankly insulting mockery of anyone who actually has lost a child.
    I think you're referring here to what I said to Saipanne

I was referring specifically to the line "Find the whole thing a bit less than plausible? Very possibly.". I think calling it "less than plausible" does not go far enough. It is entirely unsubstantiated fantastical nonsense for which we have not a shred of argument, evidence, data or reasoning to support it. Certainly none from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Did you now? Likely you heard wrong. I imagine it is quite awful. Do not make the linguistic error of jumping from "relatively mild" to "mild". The key word being "relatively". Relative to some of the tortures our species has invented to visit upon other members of our species, the torture described in the story of Jesus is very much RELATIVELY mild.
    I did yes. Though I don't think I heard wrong... he said it quite clearly. As to how awful it is, I thankfully can only imagine. Given the prolonged and agonising death it involved, I suspect it's sufferers wouldn't be greatly comforted by the notion that it was "relatively mild" though.

Not a suspicion I share, expressed, or implied however. You appear to hitting reply to my posts but going off on wild tangents without replying to anything actually said in them. My only point was, and remains, that relative to the wealth of tortures our species has devised, what we read of in the Bible is quite mild. That says absolutely nothing about what it was, or would be, like to endure.

Perhaps it's a matter of perspective then. I think I can confidently say that were I subjected sequentially to every one of the the wealth of tortures our species has devised, no matter where placed in the order I think I would be unlikely to describe being crucified as quite mild. Or even relatively mild. Maybe it's just me though.

Then we are in agreement it seems given I never described it as "mild" either.

Then we are in agreement it seems given I never described it as "mild" either.
    We're certainly in agreement that you never described it as mild... that's true :D
    a death with relatively mild torture

• Advertisement

Good, because I never did. So if you have any other questions about my opinion on the matter, do feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What doesn't make sense to me is athiests fascination with a God who all keep insisting doesn't exist and is in the same realm as the Flying Spaghetti Monster who also doesn't exist.

If He doesn't exist,why can't you just ignore Him and get on with your lives or is it a case you all secretly believe in the possibility of His existence and keep trying very hard to quieten that little doubt in your heads as to His existence by your constant denials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

why can't you just ignore Him religion and get on with your lives

Slight adjustment to above, but honestly, if you can't answer that by now, having read of how frustrating the lack of church/state separation is to the lives of a large number of Irish people, then I suggest that there may be some sort of comprehension problem.

Besides, if the study of religion was left solely up to religious people, who would they answer to? Who would be equipped to call out the outrageous discrepancies between bible quotes, used willy nilly to illustrate the various "moral" standpoints that they have been bashing people with for centuries?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

What doesn't make sense to me is athiests fascination with a God who all keep insisting doesn't exist and is in the same realm as the Flying Spaghetti Monster who also doesn't exist.

If He doesn't exist,why can't you just ignore Him and get on with your lives or is it a case you all secretly believe in the possibility of His existence and keep trying very hard to quieten that little doubt in your heads as to His existence by your constant denials.

You know well how to answer all of those points yourself.

That has probably not got much to do with this thread, and it is actually something that has been brought up many times before on this forum, but I am happy to answer it. Actually another atheist discussed something similar along the lines of "Is atheism not a bit like not collecting stamps".

But in general atheists do not have a fascination with "A god they insist does not exist", but they are concerned with the activities and impacts of people who do think there is one.

That said however most atheists around here do not appear to be insisting no god exists, but that there is no reason to think one does. And I do not think there is any reason to believe that atheists are invested in there being no god either. They would happily acknowledge there is one should substantiation be offered. They are not atheists because they do not want there to be a god, but because there is no reason to think there is one.

On threads like this however it can be useful to engage with genuinely interesting thought experiments that allow us to explore subjects related to truth and morality and so forth. And well known cultural memes, such as Biblical stories, can be useful ways to do that.
    If He doesn't exist,why can't you just ignore Him and get on with your lives

I would genuinely like to myself. My real interests lie elsewhere. Science. Government. Children. Education. Human Rights. Sex. Art. Psychology. Medicine.

These are the things I have genuine interest in in my life. Yet in every single one of those realms the believers in god show up touting their religion in attempts to influence those realms of discourse and society. The issue many people have here with religion is not due to them failing to ignore it, but them failing to be LET ignore it.
    is it a case you all secretly believe in the possibility of His existence and keep trying very hard to quieten that little doubt in your heads as to His existence by your constant denials.

That is a canard that I have seen sold on a few occasions for sure. Theists of a certain ilk sometimes like to sell the idea that all atheists are believers deep down just practicing some level of denial at some level.

But I see little to warrant buying into that canard. I currently have no doubts for example. I have not once, in my entire life, been shown a single shred of argument, evidence, data or reasoning to lend even the most basic modicum of credence to the claim there is a god.... or as we have seen on this thread to substantiate most of the things people claim about Jesus.

So there is simply no grounds for me to be suffering any inner doubts on the issue at all. And I see no reason why people who identify as "atheist" would be any different. The canard appears to be little more than a "head in the sand" tactic by people who do not want to enter into genuine discourse.... but feel they need to say SOMETHING all the same.

The claims there is a god is not just a little, but entirely and completely unsubstantiated in any way. And people who do not like to admit that will indeed be tempted to resort to head in the sand tactics of pretending that even people who do not believe this crap.... secretly do believe that crap. As the old saying goes "Whatever helps you sleep at night".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

If He doesn't exist,why can't you just ignore Him [...]
    As you ask - apart from having an organization with the childcare record of the RCC controlling the country's primary schools, what I find most objectionable is that every time certain family relatives show up, I receive long, raging spiels about male on male anal sex, abortion, the decadence and gross immorality of Educate Together schools, my generation and much else besides. Religion justifies and actively encourages this deranged behaviour.

I would dearly love never to hear another word for the rest of my life about people's religious beliefs and what these miserable memes compel vulnerable people to spend their declining years raving about.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

robindch wrote: »

I would dearly love never to hear another word for the rest of my life about people's religious beliefs and what these miserable memes compel vulnerable people to spend their declining years raving about.

Is that why you spend so much of your life discussing them on here ?

La Fenetre wrote: »
    Is that why you spend so much of your life discussing them on here ?
    If you took part in any of the discussions here in A+A, rather than - say - waving your fist wonkily at people, you'd see that this forum discusses far, far more than deadend religious views.

Pizza for a start. Proper pineapple-free pizza at that.

If you took part in any of the discussions here in A+A, rather than - say - waving your fist wonkily at people, you'd see that this forum discusses far, far more than deadend religious views.

Pizza for a start. Proper pineapple-free pizza at that.

I'm all relaxed reclining on the sofa you need to take a chill pill dude.
    All that junk food's bad for you, try cutting down on it, you might be happier and your health might improve.

I'm all relaxed reclining on the sofa you need to take a chill pill dude.
    And if your current inability to post anything worth reading doesn't miraculously volte-face, you'll be taking a holiday from the forum.

• Advertisement

And if your current inability to post anything worth reading doesn't miraculously volte-face, you'll be taking a holiday from the forum.

Have you tried any relaxation techniques ?

Have you tried any relaxation techniques ?
    La Fenetre is taking a holiday from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What really doesn't make sense to me is the apparent fascination of some theists with the discussions of non-believers.

As soon as any suggestion of even the slightest diminution of RC hegemony in this country is mooted, they're all over the thread like they got a bat-signal.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What really doesn't make sense to me is the apparent fascination of some theists with the discussions of non-believers.

As soon as any suggestion of even the slightest diminution of RC hegemony in this country is mooted, they're all over the thread like they got a bat-signal.

I'm not RC and haven't been in over 30 years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Everything is not all about you :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Saipanne wrote: »
    I came up with this off the top of my head. Nonsense?

Jesus was free of sin.

Suicide is a sin.

Jesus is God.

God is omnipotent.

Jesus was crucified and died.

Jesus had the power to not die.

Jesus chose to die.

Jesus commuted suicide.

Jesus was not free of sin.

Probably nonsense. :-)

Out of 9 points that you make you manage to get 7 of them wrong so I guess you could be talking nonsenses!

Equally what does'nt make sense to me is the obsession that atheists have with religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

We'll leave religion alone when it leaves us alone. Unfortunately, religion fails to uphold its side of that bargain.

We'll leave religion alone when it leaves us alone. Unfortunately, religion fails to uphold its side of that bargain.

So if my kid gets half an hour or whatever of information on religion in school per week,that's it, all is lost, the kid is ruined forever!

• Advertisement

I rather doubt religion ever agreed to that bargain, so you can't really blame it to be honest......

Advertisement