Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twenty six months in Greenland

• 06-11-2015 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭

I was watching chasing the midnight sun excellent TV program if anyone is interested.

Two solders from the Danish special forces have to spent twenty six months at a time patrolling the vast cold wilderness temperatures of -30 are common all they have are each other and a team of sleigh dogs, food and their tents and I presume a satellite phone. They spend their days skying along beside the sleigh team so they are hardy and very fit, they sleep in a tent and their is noting but whiteness all around you. They get one week off in the twenty six mounts. They are psychosocially assesses before they go.

Could you hack that do you think? personally I think I would go mad and the adjustment back in to normal society must be very hard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭play it again

Broke back mountain springs to mind

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Do they get super well paid for it?

I reckon I could do it, would depend very much on who the other person was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

There was a National Geographic article about this a few years ago.

Really fascinating stuff, and showed there was a distinction between those who prefer to bring everything they might need, and those who prefer to travel light.

you'd want to be mentally strong more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Broke back mountain springs to mind

Well no because any exposed skin would get frost bit they go to sleep fully dresses and even then its cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I was thinking of going to Antarctica for 6 months to work for a weather research outfit, the work was basically taking readings but wanted to experience living completely cut off from society (it was also the southern hemisphere summer - so no darkness) but I had to get my appendix removed beforehand, so wasn't arsed.

Anyway, it´s too late now, but it´s always something I´ve wanted to test myself on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No wife no kids no job for twenty six months

sounds terrible:)

I was thinking of going to Antarctica for 6 months to work for a weather research outfit, the work was basically taking readings but wanted to experience living completely cut off from society (it was also the southern hemisphere summer - so no darkness) but I had to get my appendix removed beforehand, so wasn't arsed.

Anyway, it´s too late now, but it´s always something I´ve wanted to test myself on.

Check out the British Antarctic society.

OP, where did you watch this? Was it on TV or online?

OP, where did you watch this? Was it on TV or online?

On UTV last night you should be able to get it on playback or what ever system UTV use.

mariaalice wrote: »
    On UTV last night you should be able to get it on playback or what ever system UTV use.

UTV Ireland?

EDIT: Oh wait, was it the Alexander Armstrong program?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

No wife no kids no job for twenty six months

sounds terrible:)

No Netflix, internet, shish kebabs, wimenz....

I don't kow man. I just don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

mariaalice wrote: »
    I was watching chasing the midnight sun excellent TV program if anyone is interested.

Two solders from the Danish special forces have to spent twenty six months at a time patrolling the vast cold wilderness temperatures of -30 are common all they have are each other and a team of sleigh dogs, food and their tents and I presume a satellite phone. They spend their days skying along beside the sleigh team so they are hardy and very fit, they sleep in a tent and their is noting but whiteness all around you. They get one week off in the twenty six mounts. They are psychosocially assesses before they go.

Could you hack that do you think? personally I think I would go mad and the adjustment back in to normal society must be very hard.

I couldn't do it. Not for 26 months.

What I'd like to know is what the fuck is the purpose of such an exercise? What exactly does it hope to accomplish? What are they doing exactly? What are they looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

What I'd like to know is what the fuck is the purpose of such an exercise? What exactly does it hope to accomplish? What are they doing exactly? What are they looking for?

Exactly - would you not feel that you'd just wasted 26 months of the prime of your life??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Aye what exactly are they doing that a couple of satellites and a webcam or two couldn't do? It's not exactly the main opiate or human trafficking route in the world, and what are two soldiers going to do if the Mounties invade?

26 months is a long time in that kind of isolation. The whiteness all around would be jarring enough. I'd certainly be willing to give 12 months a shot. I like isolation. It strengthens the mind and reminds you that the buck stops with you. All external needs and validation falls away.
    It is just you and your own mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Torrent?

Aye what exactly are they doing that a couple of satellites and a webcam or two couldn't do? It's not exactly the main opiate or human trafficking route in the world, and what are two soldiers going to do if the Mounties invade?

http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/11/01/1939240/greenland-ice-sheet-not-covered-in-soot

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Exactly - would you not feel that you'd just wasted 26 months of the prime of your life??

Agreed. I can understand meteorologists and oceanographers spending a stretch in the Antarctic or out at sea (Matt Hooper on The Aurora). But they're doing research and stuff and they have facilities and some form of entertainment and there's usually a group of them, maybe 15 or 20. But this 2-man Greenland caper? I don't understand it all.

26 months is a long time in that kind of isolation. The whiteness all around would be jarring enough. I'd certainly be willing to give 12 months a shot. I like isolation. It strengthens the mind and reminds you that the buck stops with you. All external needs and validation falls away.
    It is just you and your own mind.

12 months in solitary confinement usually causes some form of mental degradation. Complete lack of social interaction causes insanity.

• Advertisement

12 months in solitary confinement usually causes some form of mental degradation. Complete lack of social interaction causes insanity.

My understanding of the OP is that it's time spent in an isolated and remote part of the world. I would quite happily move my life to a little house on the top of a mountain with not a soul to be seen. To me this is different to solitary confinement spent in a small room with no freedom to see beyond it's four walls.

I think as with most things it is dependent upon the strength of one's internal self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

As far as im aware its to to with exploitation rights. Denmark claim Greenland and as part of that the exploitation rights for any oil, gas etc. because its so barren there is very little population inland.

So they must have a military presence under international law to continue this claim.

Its the same for Ireland and the 300 mile exploitation zone we claim off the coast the navy spend a lot of time patrolling to maintain our military presence and thus keep our claim

Thats what ive always understood to be the case im completly open to correction on this. - in work can't confirm myself:)

murphk wrote: »
    As far as im aware its to to with exploitation rights. Denmark claim Greenland and as part of that the exploitation rights for any oil, gas etc. because its so barren there is very little population inland.

So they must have a military presence under international law to continue this claim.

Its the same for Ireland and the 300 mile exploitation zone we claim off the coast the navy spend a lot of time patrolling to maintain our military presence and thus keep our claim

Thats what ive always understood to be the case im completly open to correction on this. - in work can't confirm myself:)

I looked it up and that sounds about right.

Also the areas they patrol are part of one of the largest National Parks in the world. There's a lot of scientific research goes on and I believe these guys help with that also.

Yeah but to keep a military presence there surely they could build a little base near the coast where there is some human contact. Stick 30 lads in there and rotate them out every 6 months. Denmark can afford that. There probably wouldn't be a lot to do but they could set up a radio station or a football team or SOMETHING.

But this 2-man 2-year gig? What the fcuk is that all about?

To the lads in the NATO evesdropping station in North Greenland, if you're reading this maybe you could shed some light on the subject?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Is there not a Travelodge or Premier Inn in Nookie or whatever they call it they could put them up in?

I've watched enough horror films to know this practice will end in disaster. Disaster I tell ya!

Yeah but to keep a military presence there surely they could build a little base near the coast where there is some human contact. Stick 30 lads in there and rotate them out every 6 months. Denmark can afford that. There probably wouldn't be a lot to do but they could set up a radio station or a football team or SOMETHING.

But this 2-man 2-year gig? What the fcuk is that all about?

To the lads in the NATO evesdropping station in North Greenland, if you're reading this maybe you could shed some light on the subject?

From what I've looked up this afternoon I think there's more than 2 people at a time. It sounds like there's 12 up there at any one time and they patrol in pairs on given routes. They have a proper base (Daneborg) where they go when they first get there and that's where they train with their dogs for a bit and get supplies.

Pretty sure this is the main base...
    8032.3.jpg

Is there not a Travelodge or Premier Inn in Nookie or whatever they call it they could put them up in?

I've watched enough horror films to know this practice will end in disaster. Disaster I tell ya!

It would be a depressing thought to think that Travelodge has spread that far.

I looked it up and that sounds about right.

Also the areas they patrol are part of one of the largest National Parks in the world. There's a lot of scientific research goes on and I believe these guys help with that also.

OK so it's becoming a bit clearer now:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sl%C3%A6depatruljen_Sirius

They do 26 month tours but they're not on a 2 man patrol for the entirety of that. Plus I guess they have to cover ALL the ground.

Two of them were captured by the Germans but escaped and rejoined their patrol. You gotta be one hard bastard to be a fugitive in Greenland and make it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭uch

Fear and Loathing

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

It's probably better than all the drinking and fighting that's meant to go on in Nuuk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

i havent seen this before and im here laughing my head off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

There was a similar division like this in the Canadian army years ago OP. I think their called the Pioneer division and they often lived in isolation in Northern Canada. They were an engineering division and were in charge of doing a lot of the heavy work... they were allowed to grow ZZ-Top-like beards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Pfft , I did 14 years in a marriage that was more difficult than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

It would be a depressing thought to think that Travelodge has spread that far.
    Believe it or not but The Nuuk Centre, Greenlands first shopping centre, built in 2012, has a Spar in it :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I want to play football for Greenland when their membership application to UEFA and FIFA is approved. Had a cousin who worked there once so that qualifies me.

• Advertisement

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Believe it or not but The Nuuk Centre, Greenlands first shopping centre, built in 2012, has a Spar in it :eek: :D

Gah!!

Tents, living in a whiteout, no social outlet, no intellectual stimulus...that kind of sensory deprivation and social isolation would take a great deal of mental fortitude to deal with.

No, I'd crack up.

Advertisement