Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unplanned pregnancy

Options
  • 05-11-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

It's what the title says, i have just missed my period and have taken a clear blue digital pregnancy test and it says i am pregnant 1-2 weeks. Which i guess is really one month pregnant. The problem is that its not a good time. I have a 3 year old and when i was pregnant on her, i had preeclampsia very badly. I had to have her early and suffered one year after birth with high blood pressure and was very very sick. I was over weight when i got pregnant at 90kg and my weigh went up to 105kg. Very heavy. My husband and I said that if i was every to get pregnant again i would need to be in a healthy weigh range. I was on an antibiotic which cancelled out my pill and this is why i'm now in this situation. I currently weigh 110kg and at 5ft 6 in its bad. i feel because of my weight i have no choice but to get an abortion. I am no seeking medical advice on boards. i have an appointment with a clinic next week to discuss my options. I just need some outsiders prospective as i feel so negative and scared.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

As an overweight woman (5'2" and just over 100kg) I have had nothing but healthy pregnancies. I know you had problems with pre-eclempsia but the doctors know this and will monitor you.

It's honestly your choice, I would never try to talk someone out of an abortion but don't feel you have to have one just because you are over weight. Every pregnancy is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

Hi I'm sorry to hear you were unwell before.
    You know your situation best but regardless of what you think, im sure it will be a mistake to have a termination in the long run.
    Don't make a rush decision - you have a little bit of time to talk it over.
    Also I would make sure ye make a joint decision and not the preference of just one of you.
    Hope it works out, every thing happens for a reason.
    Thinking of you, all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

Please bear in mind that just because you had pre eclampsia on one pregnancy does not necessarily mean you will get it again.

I had pre e on my first pregnancy and haven't had it on my next 3.
    I think weight gas very little bearing on it as I would have been at my thinnest on my first and overweight since .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I have a 7 week old and suffered with pre eclampsia. My doctor told me at my 6 week check up that the chances of getting pre eclampsia for a 2nd time was 1 in 500.

Whatever decision you make, make sure you do it for you and nobody else.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Every pregnancy is different OP, there's every chance you won't have the same issues this time, and losing weight is no guarantee of a problem free pregnancy either. In fact any woman I know who suffered with pre-e was a normal weight. Some points to consider anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Everything that I've been reading says I've a higher chance of it again cause i've already suffered from it before. My stomach is in knots from fear. My husband is absolutely against having this baby.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think you'd be better off speaking to a doctor about the risks. A friend of mine just had a baby early due to pre e and her doc said she wasn't at increased risk of having it again just cos she had it this time.

If the pre e and weight weren't an issue, would you be happy to be pregnant again?

There's a few different issues at play here. Firstly your medical issues, you really need to speak to a doctor (not a counsellor, a doctor, preferably an obstetrician) about your fears here.

Secondly, there's your husband. Does he not want this pregnancy because he is scared for you, or does he just not want another baby? You really need to sit down and discuss this with him in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think both you and your husband need to see a pregnancy counsellor. You don't want your potential health issues clouding things. If you do decide the end the pregnancy it has to be because its what you want, not because someone else is putting pressure on you. I understand your concern re pre-eclampsia. I had it with both my children but once you've had it on one you will be very carefully monitored on any subsequent pregnancy for it. And as others have said it may not even be an issue this time around. There are a lot of things going on for you at the moment, a lot of things you are understandably concerned about but this is a huge decision. Contact Positive Options and talk to someone, even if its just you on your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I understand your fear about pre-eclampsia. One of my very close friends was undiagnosed, she had full eclamptic fits, very frightening. However, like others have said, it has nothing to do with your weight. Yes you are higher risk, but that's a risk, not a guarantee.

Ask your GP to refer you to the early pregnancy unit to discuss with an obgyn.

Your husband is obviously frightened for your health too. Bring him along.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replies. It's true there are two issues. My health and my husband. I have made an appointment with a clinic to discuss my options on Thursday and talk with someone. After that I will speak to doctor. My husband is worries about my health but he is adamant he wants no more kids. He likes our life the way it is. He won't even entertain having this baby and shuts any conversation down until Thursday. He is 100% for abortion and is willing to travel etc. I on the other hand would love a baby if I was skinnier and healthy weight first. My health issues on previous one is what is scaring.me not the baby. I understand that its my body but it does affect the both of us afterwards. I cant force another baby on him. We are very happily married btw.

My health and my husband. I have made an appointment with a clinic to discuss my options on Thursday and talk with someone. After that I will speak to doctor. My husband is worries about my health but he is adamant he wants no more kids. He likes our life the way it is. He won't even entertain having this baby and shuts any conversation down until Thursday. He is 100% for abortion and is willing to travel etc. I on the other hand would love a baby if I was skinnier and healthy weight first. My health issues on previous one is what is scaring.me not the baby. I understand that its my body but it does affect the both of us afterwards. I cant force another baby on him. We are very happily married btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Doesn't sound particularly happily married if you can't even discuss something without him shutting the conversation down.

I've gone anonymous to post this as its something I rarely talk about. I got pregnant with my now husband after 4 months together. I was only 19 and terrified and knew both our families would feel so let down and I couldn't handle seeing that disappointment in them. After what was probably too short a consideration, we decided to have an abortion. I was ok with it at the time and never really accepted I was pregnant. The abortion was fine and quick and painless. However, the after effects were so much different. I suffered with bad anxiety and panic attacks for years. They sort of crept up on me and suddenly they controlled my life. I'm not saying it was a bad decision for us, in fact I think it was the right decision but just think carefully about it and be sure to go to a counsellor or someone to talk about how you feel. I think society here places a huge amount of shame and guilt on a woman who takes this route. I hope whatever decision you make is the right one for both you and your family. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Wow a complex situation, I don't envy you OP.
    On the one hand if ye decide to go to UK, you could hold it against your husband forever (even in a passive agressive way) and it could affect your marriage.
    On the other hand, if you refuse to go to UK, and there are myriad problems in the future and your lives are affected not in a good way due to the pregnancy/extra child then he could hold it against you for refusing to go to UK (even in a passive agressive way)

To prevent this affecting your marriage either way some very deep and open conversations are going to have to be had between the two of ye in the next few weeks. I am kind of a believer that it's the woman's body it's the woman's choice but you want to do it in such a way that you protect your marriage/family as well.
    Good luck making the decision x

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Before you got pregnant were you aware that your husband didn't want any more children? From your first post it seems like your hubby would have been open to the idea, if your health were better, however now he doesn't want any more kids full stop, and will not entertain any discussion about it. This seems horribly unfair on you - you're unexpectedly pregnant, worried about your health and now your hubby is pretty much insisting on an abortion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

OP that's a horrible situation :( You say that you can't force a child on him, but can he really force an abortion on you? It sounds like you don't want to go through with that, and it's woefully unfair of him to refuse to even discuss it. Make your decision based on what you can live with, personally if my husband continued to be so unsupportive where I needed it most it'd mean the end of my marriage. It's possible he's reacting out of shock, hopefully for everyone's sake he'll be willing to talk about it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

As a Man I think your mad to think of an abortion just because your husband is against it (having a baby)particularly as you say that you would be happy with another baby . If the doctors give the go ahead that it could be managed you should ask for your husbands support. Marraige in my opinion will suffer anyhow if you go ahead with an abortion and you really want the baby

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Agreed as others have said, it's more than odd that your husband agreed that if you were to get pregnant again you would need to be in a healthier weight range. Now all of a sudden he doesn't want any more kids, ever?
    Is it possible that he has vain reasons and is worried you will continue to put on weight?
    My mother had pre-e with me, but not with my two siblings. I was told I was at increased risk due to my mother having it, but this is my second pregnancy without it. I was overweight on both pregnancies, significantly more so on this one and have had no related health issues. I know plenty of healthy, slim women who had terrible pregnancies and health problems. If you want your baby, don't let something as basic as your weight force you to get an abortion, and CERTAINLY do not let your husband make that decision. You'll never forgive him if regret starts to build and I agree with a previous poster that the marriage can't be that happy if he is blatantly insisting on an invasive medical procedure for you (that you don't seem to want) purely so that he can retain the lifestyle he is accustomed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Agreed as others have said, it's more than odd that your husband agreed that if you were to get pregnant again you would need to be in a healthier weight range. Now all of a sudden he doesn't want any more kids, ever?
    Is it possible that he has vain reasons and is worried you will continue to put on weight?
    My mother had pre-e with me, but not with my two siblings. I was told I was at increased risk due to my mother having it, but this is my second pregnancy without it. I was overweight on both pregnancies, significantly more so on this one and have had no related health issues. I know plenty of healthy, slim women who had terrible pregnancies and health problems. If you want your baby, don't let something as basic as your weight force you to get an abortion, and CERTAINLY do not let your husband make that decision. You'll never forgive him if regret starts to build and I agree with a previous poster that the marriage can't be that happy if he is blatantly insisting on an invasive medical procedure for you (that you don't seem to want) purely so that he can retain the lifestyle he is accustomed to.

Not to sound horrible, but OP is 110kg at 5f 6" that had to be dangerous to her health...a pregnancy on top of that could be very dangerous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Not to sound horrible, but OP is 110kg at 5f 2" that had to be dangerous to her health...a pregnancy on top of that could be very dangerous...

Pregnancy can be very dangerous regardless of weight. Considering she herself admits that she would rather have the baby than not, having an abortion based solely on weight seems very drastic. And also dangerous for her health?

Not to sound horrible, but OP is 110kg at 5f 2" that had to be dangerous to her health...a pregnancy on top of that could be very dangerous...

Not at all, I'm 5ft2 and 100kg (prob a bit over that) and I have had nothing but healthy pregnancies. No health problems at all.

You can lose weight when you are pregnant, slimming world is pregnancy friendly. If you are over weight, you have a Glucose Tolerance Test as standard to screen for gestational diabetes. The OP had pre-eclempsia when she was pregnant so she will be monitored for it carefully this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Hi OP I really hope the meeting on Thursday went well and you were able to reflect more clearly on what you really want. You'll need to get a clear picture on what health risks you would be undertaking if you decide to continue with the pregnancy, but remember to weigh these risks against what you truly want for yourself (some risks a worth taking) I think it would be really beneficial to try to get a counselling session with your husband so that he can discuss his fears and hopefully get to a place where he can support you in your decision because honestly OP it sounds like deep down you would like another baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭nikkibikki

She said she's 5ft 6 in her OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

And what about her mental health?

Thanks for all replies. I am 5ft 6inch and around 110kg although I am diet/eating healthy.

I went for a scan and a session with counsellor. My husband was with me too. We have to go back in a few weeks. We are still so confused about it all. My husband would prefer the abortion route. Although he is trying to give me time. Because we are so early on the clinic said we have time on our side.

My head is all over place.

Thanks for all replies. I am 5ft 6inch and around 110kg although I am diet/eating healthy.

I went for a scan and a session with counsellor. My husband was with me too. We have to go back in a few weeks. We are still so confused about it all. My husband would prefer the abortion route. Although he is trying to give me time. Because we are so early on the clinic said we have time on our side.

My head is all over place.

Have you spoken to a GP or made an appointment with the early pregnancy unit of your hospital to speak about your worries with your weight?

Does your husband just not want more kids, and he is using your weight as an excuse?

No my husband does not want me to make an appointment with doctor or hospital as he feelss then we will end up on the system and i will end up going through with pregnancy.
    I have got myself checked out with private clinic. If i start bleeding or feeling unwell then i would contact the hospital.

As regards to weight think that is more my issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

No my husband does not want me to make an appointment with doctor or hospital as he feelss then we will end up on the system and i will end up going through with pregnancy.
    I have got myself checked out with private clinic. If i start bleeding or feeling unwell then i would contact the hospital.

As regards to weight think that is more my issue.

Your husband sounds like an right selfish ass****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Um what? That's a bit nuts OP. You need to be fully informed, this is an enormous decision and you are both indecisive. You need to have all the ducks in the row so to speak

I would also recommend either he or both of you see a counsellor, separately or together because this does not seem like a healthy relationship or at least the approach to pregnancy is not

Advertisement