Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to get in good shape without a gym?

Options
  • 05-11-2015 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭

Lads/Ladies,

Anyone reckon its possible to get in good shape without the joining a gym getting a personal trainer lark?

Anyone tried P90x? Or the likes?

I see there is a P90x3 that is like 30 min workouts?

30mins seems to short for you to really get in shape but I know that diet is at least 50% of the battle, my diet is not bad, pretty healthy actually so I think just working out for 45-1hr everyday could work ok for me.

Just looking for some feed back on what others have used/tried that worked for them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Lads/Ladies,

Anyone reckon its possible to get in good shape without the joining a gym getting a personal trainer lark?

30mins seems to short for you to really get in shape but I know that diet is at least 50% of the battle, my diet is not bad, pretty healthy actually so I think just working out for 45-1hr everyday could work ok for me.

Just looking for some feed back on what others have used/tried that worked for them?

It's possible it's just immeasurably harder. Why don't u want to go to the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

WarZ wrote: »
    It's possible it's just immeasurably harder. Why don't u want to go to the gym?

A gym is time consuming , personal circumstances mean I don't have much time to go to one.

Easiest would be for me to do 3/4 hour in the morning between 6-7 before work and I really dont want to spend much more than an hour on it but I could do it every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

I guess it all comes down to how bad you wanna be in shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

Your stats would be good to see, ie height,weight age and what is your actual goal .
    eg
    lose 20LBS
    be able run 10 KM in 45 minutes

A great way you maximized your time as it seems an issue for you,
    Can you walk,jog or cycle to and from work ? maybe 3 times a week , if you travel far distance by car then park car 5 k from job and cycle etc
    Do you have enough room at home for a bench and some weights
    Do you have room for other gym equipment eg rowing machine, stair master, treadmill , all can be got second hand .
    Need good music to work out to and you must be honest with yourself and just do it ,

Can you workout at home ? Yes you can if you want to all up to the individual
    best of luck

Height: 6ft 1in
    Weight: 197

Goals: to tone up and get a level of base fitness back. I used to play a lot of Gaelic football and was always pretty fit and while I've fallen down a bit in recent years I haven't let myself go completely.

I walk 1km to and from the train in the morning/evening but no couldn't go that jogging/walking to work.

I have space for a workout room and have some free weights a bench and an exercise bike already.

I was hoping for more information on those home work out routines though. I have been told that P90x is excellent if you stick to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

You absolutely don't need a gym to get in shape.

And you definitely don't "need" a personal trainer . Of course you do need to know what you're doing, as technique is an extremely important part of it, but that information can come from other sources besides a personal trainer. But make sure that you put as much focus on your technique as you do the content of the workout. Having a second person with you during your first few workouts can help with that. But does it have to be a professional you pay €40 an hour to? No.

You also don't "need" to be doing more than 30 minutes per workout, since it all depends on what you're doing during those 30 minutes. But 30 minutes can absolutely be plenty per workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yes, its absolutely possible to get into goo shape without a gym.
    The basics of getting in shape is very simple. You can do it at home with minimal equipment. Or even with no equipment - bodyweight training
    A gym is time consuming , personal circumstances mean I don't have much time to go to one.
    Getting in shape is time consuming. it takes effort AND time one of the other alone won't get you very far.
    Easiest would be for me to do 3/4 hour in the morning between 6-7 before work and I really dont want to spend much more than an hour on it but I could do it every day.
    45 mins every day, or even most days is loads if you training smart.
    I was hoping for more information on those home work out routines though. I have been told that P90x is excellent if you stick to it.

It's not excellent, in fact I'd considering it pretty poor.
    At least from a fitness point of view, its probably invaluable to somebody studying marketing.

So has anyone any thoughts on what does work in terms of home DVD systems, any decent ones or should I just work out myself get a plan and stick to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

So has anyone any thoughts on what does work in terms of home DVD systems, any decent ones or should I just work out myself get a plan and stick to it?

Look into convict conditioning. It's a bodyweight workout routine that shows you how to progress. There's a thread on this board about it somewhere. There's a book as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DVD aren't great imo. Much better technical information and routines availible online for free.
    The suggestions in the thread should over most aspects and are mostly free

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97551042

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

Lads/Ladies,

Yes, it is possible to get in shape at home. I'm doing it but it does not mean that it would work for everyone. My wife goes to gym as she needs to be in that environment to workout and have someone screaming at her as it motivates her better.

There are plenty DVD and I think they all work to some degree as long as you stick to them and also have good diet.

All depends on you, how much motivated you are and how much effort you're putting into this.
    If going to gym motivates you than go to gym, if you like me who likes to work alone that do ti at home. Gym is only a tool to get the results, there are plenty info online how to workout at home.

Mellor wrote: »
    DVD aren't great imo. Much better technical information and routines availible online for free.
    The suggestions in the thread should over most aspects and are mostly free

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=97551042

thanks man I looked there and found some terrific exercises on the reddit site

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭Snoopy1

I do all my exercise at home via you tube. My boyfriend does t25, its by the same guy who does insanity. Ive never seen someone so sweaty or heard so many swear words, as when he does it, so its definitely working

So just to give a sort of an update on this I've started the p90x3 programme at home, after 6 days I have to say I'm enjoying it. 30 minutes is nothing in the grand scheme of things and I have been able to fit it in most evenings after work without a hassle. I'm going to switch in up and do it in the mornings next week as I think it may set me up better for the day if I do. I've a long way to go obviously 84 days, not sure i'm going to be able to stick with it for the 90 days with Christmas and a few works trips coming up but I sure am going to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

Height: 6ft 1in
    Weight: 197

Goals: to tone up and get a level of base fitness back. I used to play a lot of Gaelic football and was always pretty fit and while I've fallen down a bit in recent years I haven't let myself go completely.

I walk 1km to and from the train in the morning/evening but no couldn't go that jogging/walking to work.

I have space for a workout room and have some free weights a bench and an exercise bike already.

If you're using these regularly, then you should be getting results already.
    Add in some YouTube videos to mix things up a bit maybe? So you don't get bored :)

Advertisement