Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GYM/ATKINS NO WEIGHT LOSS

Options
  • 05-11-2015 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I'm trying to get fit again after taking a three year break from the gym. I've been going to the GYM maybe five times a week for the last month and a half and eating only protein foods (though I might cheat a tiny bit the odd time). Usually 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast, chicken breast for lunch and steak for dinner. With real mayonaise to flavor up the steak a bit.

In the gym I generally do one body part a day and run about 4 k.m. I also do a bit of swimming. I'm noticing big gains in the gym back training on 80KG bench ( 4x8) and curling around 37 kG (4X8) using Olympic bars. The weights I lift with shoulders, legs and back also gone up nicely. I've noticed myself getting fitter and tightening up aswell,, back in my 36 inch waist jeans (ideally like to get back to 34). I've also been able to do some 6km runs on the roads where I live in around 35 minutes.

However there is one thing that is absolutely wrecking my head!!! Despite all this training and dieting I have not been losing weight on the scale!) well only around 5 lbs in first week!)

I still weigh 16 stone which is about 1.5 stone more than I weighed three years ago!! What am I doing wrong!! I thought I would of lost at least a stone over that month and a half on atkins!! So when I couple that with training hard as well I don't understand it.

Should I give up on atkins? Though I feel the extra protein is helping with my gains in the gym. Ideally I want to lose the weight so when I go back playing football in Feb I'll be able to cover more ground.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I'm trying to get fit again after taking a three year break from the gym. I've been going to the GYM maybe five times a week for the last month and a half and eating only protein foods (though I might cheat a tiny bit the odd time). Usually 3 scrambled eggs for breakfast, chicken breast for lunch and steak for dinner. With real mayonaise to flavor up the steak a bit.

In the gym I generally do one body part a day and run about 4 k.m. I also do a bit of swimming. I'm noticing big gains in the gym back training on 80KG bench ( 4x8) and curling around 37 kG (4X8) using Olympic bars. The weights I lift with shoulders, legs and back also gone up nicely. I've noticed myself getting fitter and tightening up aswell,, back in my 36 inch waist jeans (ideally like to get back to 34). I've also been able to do some 6km runs on the roads where I live in around 35 minutes.

However there is one thing that is absolutely wrecking my head!!! Despite all this training and dieting I have not been losing weight on the scale!) well only around 5 lbs in first week!)

I still weigh 16 stone which is about 1.5 stone more than I weighed three years ago!! What am I doing wrong!! I thought I would of lost at least a stone over that month and a half on atkins!! So when I couple that with training hard as well I don't understand it.

Should I give up on atkins? Though I feel the extra protein is helping with my gains in the gym. Ideally I want to lose the weight so when I go back playing football in Feb I'll be able to cover more ground.

Any advice?

Look in the mirror not at the scales. Muscle weighs twice as much as fat so theoretically you could be gaining muscle and losing fat but your weight remains same or even increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sisyphus Mark II

Yeah definitely looking better, but would like to see some weight loss as well. Just looking to know whether I need to change up diet/exercise program, it will be difficult dragging that extra 1.5 stone around the football pitch next year! I just thought doing atklins would guarantee weight loss!

Yeah definitely looking better, but would like to see some weight loss as well. Just looking to know whether I need to change up diet/exercise program, it will be difficult dragging that extra 1.5 stone around the football pitch next year!

Maybe do more cardio. You'll lose more muscle which will get the weight down if your concerned about footie (although u do a lot) your only 6 weeks in id wait until 10 weeks before changing anything. It appears things are going well. Fitter, stronger, waist down

Yeah maybe thats an option, I could train on 80 KG three years ago and weighed nearly 1.5 to 1.8 stone less. Just surprised I haven't lost weight on that diet with exercise. I'm 6 foot 4 so thinking 16 stone is overweight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

If you just want your overall weight to go down then calories are what you need to watch. That will mean eating less, training more or a combination of both.

Most people would probably say you're doing ok if you're happier with your appearance/progress but if you just want the number on the scales to go down its all about calories.

It's more than likely a simple case of reducing portion sizes.

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe thats an option, I could train on 80 KG three years ago and weighed nearly 1.5 to 1.8 stone less. Just surprised I haven't lost weight on that diet with exercise. I'm 6 foot 4 so thinking 16 stone is overweight!!

I'm 16 stone at 6'1 and would be lean but muscley. I'd say 16 stone for someone that is 6'4 and weight training is even light already no?

I haven't been eating that much though eggs in morning 240 cals chicken breasts around 450 and then steak around 600 mayonaise 200 cals at most. Though in fairness I might cheat a little some days. Like I say I'm eating 1500 to 1700 cals a day. Once or twice a week might have a few crackers with cheese and a bottle of wine! I'm in my late twenties now so maybe getting back to 14 stone is a little unrealistic, though I was very aerobically fit at that weight. My bench training weight at 80 KG is as good as it ever was but I've a feeling I can improve on this now.

I looked up weights and it said 16 stone for my height was overweight, though that's not saying you are as you could have a lot of muscle. I suppose my goal is to get lean and muscular!! I think the amount of fat has definitely decreased but I'd like to shed more. I just thought I would have lost weight on this regime and that is bothering me. It takes a lot of effort to eat protein only, just wondering is worth continuing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I haven't been eating that much though eggs in morning 240 cals chicken breasts around 450 and then steak around 600 mayonaise 200 cals at most. Though in fairness I might cheat a little some days. Like I say I'm eating 1500 to 1700 cals a day. Once or twice a week might have a few crackers with cheese and a bottle of wine! I'm in my late twenties now so maybe getting back to 14 stone is a little unrealistic, though I was very aerobically fit at that weight. My bench training weight at 80 KG is as good as it ever was but I've a feeling I can improve on this now.

I looked up weights and it said 16 stone for my height was overweight, though that's not saying you are as you could have a lot of muscle. I suppose my goal is to get lean and muscular!! I think the amount of fat has definitely decreased but I'd like to shed more. I just thought I would have lost weight on this regime and that is bothering me. It takes a lot of effort to eat protein only, just wondering is worth continuing?

Hoe carefully do you track your calorie intake? As has been said, if you're putting on muscle mass, that would counter the loss of fat. But you won't be putting on muscle if you're in the calorie deficit you say you are.

Might be worth tracking everything on MyFitnessPal just to see exactly how much you are having and the carbs/fat/protein breakdown

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

WarZ wrote: »
    Muscle weighs twice as much as fat

You are right that muscle is denser than fat and takes up less space but muscle is not twice as dense as fat.

Link:
    research suggests that muscle density is 1.06 g/ml and fat density is (about) 0.9 g/ml. Thus, one litre of muscle would weigh 1.06 kg and one litre of fat would weigh 0.9 kg. In other words, muscle is about 18% denser than fat.

I can't remember where I read this but what I read is that even though the difference in density of muscle and fat is not dramatically different, muscle tends to appear more aesthetically pleasing than fat, both in its shape and in the position where it is situated in the body. As a result, if we compare two people of identical height and weight except for one person is very muscular and the other is very fat, the very fat person will not only be fatter but will look significantly heavier. The very muscular person will not only be leaner but will appear significantly less heavy.

I haven't been tracking calories that closely. Yes I think I'll try My Fitness Pal, but I've definitely been putting on muscle as my lifting is up and its obvious to see just looking in mirror. I thought I should be in deficit though. I was just wondering whether to continue on atkins. I had some excess fat unless my body is feeding off that to bulk up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I haven't been tracking calories that closely. Yes I think I'll try My Fitness Pal, but I've definitely been putting on muscle as my lifting is up and its obvious to see just looking in mirror. I thought I should be in deficit though. I was just wondering whether to continue on atkins. I had some excess fat unless my body is feeding off that to bulk up?

It might but not much. But ultimately I wouldn't get hung up on the weight if you can see your body shape improving and losing fat.

I know only too well the attachment to the number on the scales but ultimately it's about dropping body fat and looking better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Whatever you are doing is working.

It also not Atkins but don't worry about that. Forget about the scales for a few weeks and learn to enjoy new lifestyle and how well/strong you feel

Thanks I'll continue what I'm doing so, I'm sure I'll lose some weight eventually

Thanks I'll continue what I'm doing so, I'm sure I'll lose some weight eventually

Looks like it's working, your losing fat and gaining muscle. I'm sure your weight will naturally come down when you've hit your peak on muscle gain and then you'll be just burning fat

Advertisement