Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on "Precision Engineered Whey Protein"

Options
  • 05-11-2015 12:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's 74% protein so it has adecent enough protein content but 2 tubs is 1.8kg and at €55 (in H&B) for that, it's expensive by comparison with the like of MyProtein or Bulk Powders

MP's Impact Whey Protein is about €47 (including delivery) for 2.5kg (flavoured).

BulkPowders Pure Whey Protein is about €45 (including delivery) for 2.5kg (flavoured).

Both of those would be about 80% protein.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

More protein content in both of Alf Veedersane's suggestions so therefore they are better. They are also better value so it's win win!

They're both better value protein supplement options.

But they're supplements so the majority of your protein intake should ideally be from food. You need about 0.8g/pound so whatever that works out for you.

You should try get a handle on what you're getting from food with something like MyFitnessPal because 'toning' generally implies you want to shed a bit of bodyfat as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Brought a small tub of it when I was away over the summer (decided it was better not to bring bags of powder in my hand luggage). As well as the value, I didn't find it mixed very well.

I didn't think the taste was great either, but that's a personal thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Got the vanilla once when I was out of my normal stuff - it was horrible.

Generally when you're signed up with Myprotein, and i'd guess Bulk Powders are similar, they are always giving discounts (usually 15 - 25%) - as in you never pay full price.

If you go with Impact whey i think you can still use groupie15 to get a 15% discount.

Also see separate thread on batches of Impact whey tasting bad - it still tastes better then that "precision engineered" muck.

Got the vanilla once when I was out of my normal stuff - it was horrible.

Generally when you're signed up with Myprotein, and i'd guess Bulk Powders are similar, they are always giving discounts (usually 15 - 25%) - as in you never pay full price.

If you go with Impact whey i think you can still use groupie15 to get a 15% discount.

Also see separate thread on batches of Impact whey tasting bad - it still tastes better then that "precision engineered" muck.

The groupie15 code has been out of action for a while now.

There are regular enough deals offering 15-20% off on both MP and BP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

My Protein has a 30% discount for your entire order if you buy specific products.

I just bought one of these that cost €1.39:

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/ener-gel-caffeine/10787081.html

with my order and used 'explosive' as a code to get 30% off.

2.5kg of whey for 26 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭shannonman81

Hi all

I'm out of protein, so considering this ...

Precision-Engineered-Whey-Protein1.png

Its on sale locally for around the €50 mark for 2 tubs.

Does anyone have experience of this brand?
    Is this good value?
    Any suggestions for alternatives?

I'm male, 40's, weight training in the local gym 3 times a week. I'm looking to tone and build a bit of muscle ... for the last few months I've been getting back to the gym now after a few years away.

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Just on the Holland and Barrett protein above. I bought that(the same deal) about a year ago. It is disgusting. I would normally say that's a personal thing but I doubt there is anyone who would like the flavours. I had strawberry and vanilla. I order now from bulkpowders and I find their stuff great. And very well priced.

I know you probably want your protein the minute you pay for it but it's well worth waiting a day or two to avoid the rough sugary flavour you'll get off the H&B one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

ITS CRAP M8 U NEED BP AND MP BEST QUALITEY AND BEST PRICE M8ATE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

discus wrote: »
    ITS CRAP M8 U NEED BP AND MP BEST QUALITEY AND BEST PRICE M8ATE

BP IS SO GOOD!!! BUY IT NOW!!! BEST PROTEIN OUT THERE!!!! THERES A SUB FORUM FOR BP ABOVE BY THE WAY YOU CAN GET AMAZING DEALS THERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I was actually slagging you off....! :p

discus wrote: »
    I was actually slagging you off....! :p

I don't care I'm going with it. The fanfare over BP is ridiculous this thread being a shinning example

WarZ wrote: »
    BP IS SO GOOD!!! BUY IT NOW!!! BEST PROTEIN OUT THERE!!!! THERES A SUB FORUM FOR BP ABOVE BY THE WAY YOU CAN GET AMAZING DEALS THERE

You do know you're allowed to make your own suggestions rather than just giving out about the ones that others have made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭play it again

On a side note and I apologise for hijacking the thread , I'm back at the weights again and have to shift some belly fat , I'm doing cardio along with it and have changed my diet , would it be of any benefit to me to use whey powder ? , I've never used it before but am looking to get stronger , fitter and lose some weight . Any suggestions appreciated

On a side note and I apologise for hijacking the thread , I'm back at the weights again and have to shift some belly fat , I'm doing cardio along with it and have changed my diet , would it be of any benefit to me to use whey powder ? , I've never used it before but am looking to get stronger , fitter and lose some weight . Any suggestions appreciated

It depends on your diet. Whey is just a supplement used to bump up protein intake if you're not getting it from food. If you're not, then it is a convenient way of getting it but it shouldn't be your primary source of protein

You do know you're allowed to make your own suggestions rather than just giving out about the ones that others have made.

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series is a vastly superior product. Available in supplement shop in Cabra and Finglas (think its called physique) and DBX in Dolphins Barn and probably lots of other places too

Ronnie Coleman Signature Series is a vastly superior product. Available in supplement shop in Cabra and Finglas (think its called physique) and DBX in Dolphins Barn and probably lots of other places too

What makes it superior? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Because it's been crafted by Big Ron.

'Errebody wanna be a bodybuilder, but don't nobody wanna buy some high quality protein.

The ingredient profile seems to be the highest rated aspect of Iso-Tropic Max, for good reason. Quality ingredients in a simple profile usually bode well for reviews as well as effectiveness (quality > quantity). Furthermore, I love the inclusion of AstraGin™. I will be honest, that was the main reason was intrigued by most RCSS products. I had the opportunity to try out AstraGin™ on its own, & was blown away by it. By including it in Iso-Tropic Max, I don’t have to go fishing for AstraGin™ on the great abyss of the Internet.

Quoting there, it also tastes FAR better and mixes better.

You get what you pay for IMO.

• Advertisement

The ingredient profile seems to be the highest rated aspect of Iso-Tropic Max, for good reason. Quality ingredients in a simple profile usually bode well for reviews as well as effectiveness (quality > quantity). Furthermore, I love the inclusion of AstraGin™. I will be honest, that was the main reason was intrigued by most RCSS products. I had the opportunity to try out AstraGin™ on its own, & was blown away by it. By including it in Iso-Tropic Max, I don’t have to go fishing for AstraGin™ on the great abyss of the Internet.

For me, what you have outlined there as making it superior wouldn't warrant the extra cost for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

What are astragin and iso-tropic max??
    And what do they do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Question 1. Are you a schill for Ronnie Coleman Signature series products?

Question 2. Are you Adam Brown replying to your own posts?

As it was raised in another thread about proteins and how there may be a general preference for MP and BP on this forum.

Someone said about how no teams/athletes seem to use them, besides being wrong as a quick search on either website shows.

Where I work, we are sponsored by a big supplements company. We get a 60% discount on all orders as well as plenty of bits and pieces (water bottles, shakers, staff orders etc.) free of charge.

The company which sponsor us can do this as their supplements, although of a similar standard to MP/BP, are stupidly expensive to buy over the counter or online. However from our point of view the company themselves batch test everything and they are tested by informed sport which is important to us.

MP & BP cannot afford to compete with these companies and still offer the prices they do to the general public. The reasons behind why various sports teams/organisations/athletes choose particular companies for their supplements differs greatly to the reasons the general public choose theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

cc87 wrote: »
    As it was raised in another thread about proteins and how there may be a general preference for MP and BP on this forum.

Someone said about how no teams/athletes seem to use them, besides being wrong as a quick search on either website shows.

Where I work, we are sponsored by a big supplements company. We get a 60% discount on all orders as well as plenty of bits and pieces (water bottles, shakers, staff orders etc.) free of charge.

The company which sponsor us can do this as their supplements, although of a similar standard to MP/BP, are stupidly expensive to buy over the counter or online. However from our point of view the company themselves batch test everything and they are tested by informed sport which is important to us.

MP & BP cannot afford to compete with these companies and still offer the prices they do to the general public. The reasons behind why various sports teams/organisations/athletes choose particular companies for their supplements differs greatly to the reasons the general public choose theirs.

I really don't give a crap what rugby players or sports stars take a brand of protein. If it's the cheapest and its ingredients aren't all fillers with a low % of actual protein, then I'll buy it. MyProtein or Bulk Powders almost always are one of those.

That said, if I was a sports star and Maximuscle or ON offered me free tubs or big discounts, I'd get them instead.

cc87 wrote: »

Interesting. So BP can't afford to actually batch test and have it tested by informed sport. No wonder elite athletes don't use their products. It makes sense.

I am not dissing BP, I am just saying that there are much better products out there if you are willing to spend a little extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Interesting. So BP can't afford to actually batch test and have it tested by informed sport. No wonder elite athletes don't use their products. It makes sense.

I am not dissing BP, I am just saying that there are much better products out there if you are willing to spend a little extra.
    That's not what he said.
    Both BP and MP are bother registered and tested by informed sport. Ronnie Cole signiture series funnily enough isn't btw.

He saying that the big supplement companies basically overcharge the public to create the budgets to for sponsorships and discounts to various teams. MP and BP offer much lower margins to the public, leaving a much more minimal budget for sponsoring (they do have some btw). I don't care much for advertising campaigns so I don't value funding one tbh.

It's simply a different marketing tactic. If you think that giving the protein blend a snazzy name means anything that's your call. But bare in mind that the dozens of protein companies out there get their raw ingredients from a handful of sources.

Mellor wrote: »
    That's not what he said.
    Both BP and MP are bother registered and tested by informed sport. Ronnie Cole signiture series funnily enough isn't btw.

He saying that the big supplement companies basically overcharge the public to create the budgets to for sponsorships and discounts to various teams. MP and BP offer much lower margins to the public, leaving a much more minimal budget for sponsoring (they do have some btw). I don't care much for advertising campaigns so I don't value funding one tbh.

It's simply a different marketing tactic. If you think that giving the protein blend a snazzy name means anything that's your call. But bare in mind that the dozens of protein companies out there get their raw ingredients from a handful of sources.

What he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

Tried precision whey previously along with the rest of the proteins and overall I always go back to Kinetica.Ticks all the boxes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement