Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emersynn's study log

Options
  • 04-11-2015 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

Maybe this will help motivate me and maybe I'll forget about this thread after my first post like last year. Will try my best to keep this up though
    Today I got a fair amount done: for Biology I studied Bacteria and Viruses, for Chemistry I studied The Atom and Electron Configuration (we have a big test on chapters 1-4 on Thursday), I did some Functions questions for Maths, I learnt some vocab for Spanish and Japanese and I also did a few Spanish aural exam paper questions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

The subjects I'm doing are: English (H), Irish (O), Maths (H), Spanish (H), Biology (H), Chemistry (H), Economics (H), and Japanese (H). I am aiming for in and around 520 points, I got somewhere around 560 in the summer exams so hopefully everything will go well

I didn't get as much done today as I had hoped, I was feeling very demotivated after spending 30 minutes on a Maths question and not being able to get it, and I left my Japanese book in school too - I revised chapters 3 and 4 in Chemistry and practised some exam questions and left it at that. It doesn't count as studying but I also made a list of upcoming open days that I want to go to and I had a look at the new DARE criteria which I will have to sort out soon. Tomorrow I need to finish revising Functions in Maths and Chapter 9 in Japanese as I have tests on Friday. I might do the CAO tomorrow if I have time and if not I'll do it at the weekend.

tfw you realise you did absolutely nothing in 5th year and you have to make up for all of it now
    Two weeks from today I have a Biology pre-mock exam and an Irish pre-mock oral so most of my work between then and now will be in those two subjects. Today I learned sraith pictiur 1-3 and revised chapters 1-3 of Biology. If I do 2 sraith pictiurs and 2 Biology chapters every day and I stick in revision of the Irish conversational topics I'll be fine :(

I've done sraith pictiurs 1-9 and I've studied 8 Biology topics so all on schedule so far, I might get a bit ahead of schedule at the weekend touch wood or I might even find time to study another subject :eek:

Knew I would get around to updating this eventually... I got 92% in that Biology pre-mock so I'm (hopefully) on track to an A1 in the real thing :D Got all the sraith pictiurs done in the end as well and I did fine in the oral. We also had a Chemistry pre-mock recently and I got 72% which was a lot higher than I expected! So I'm going to aim for another B3 in the mocks and then push it up to a B1 or higher in the real thing.
    I really REALLY need to focus on Maths at the moment. If I can sort that out then I'll be set for everything. Worried about failing the mock at the moment but hopefully I'll get enough work done between now and then to rescue myself.

• Advertisement

Did far too much algebra today than what could possibly be healthy

DId even more algebra today and I still have a whole chapter to go before Paper 1 mock next Monday and that's not even counting all the other paper 1 chapters haaaaa
    Did some Chemistry exam questions need to revise a lot more

DId even more algebra today and I still have a whole chapter to go before Paper 1 mock next Monday and that's not even counting all the other paper 1 chapters haaaaa
    Did some Chemistry exam questions need to revise a lot more

Did the lymphatic system
    Dreading getting the mocks back

Revised all the microeconomics chapters but i'm not sure how much went in
    Looked over the maths constructions and theorems

• Advertisement

Did a ton of economics exam questions today, I think I've caught up with it after doing basically nothing since September :)

Today was good, I did notes on economic development / LDCs for economics and for biology I did notes on homeostasis and the horrible plant transport/storage/gas exchange chapter, I also organised all my handouts from school which have been building up, I must be getting the equivalent of a tree every week in the form of handouts, I appreciate the work the teachers put into them but it would be nice to look at some of our €40 textbooks once in a while as well :rolleyes:

Got my Spanish mock back today very early - 83% in the written which I'm happy with (4 marks away from an A!!) but then I got 59% in the listening so my overall grade was down to 76%... May want to work on the listening :o
    Started making notes for complex numbers today, it's definitely not my favourite topic :mad: I did a Japanese essay too and I (very briefly) looked through Literary Genre notes for English, I was planning on making notes on the skeleton for Biology but it didn't happen, maybe tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

emersyn wrote: »
    Got my Spanish mock back today very early - 83% in the written which I'm happy with (4 marks away from an A!!) but then I got 59% in the listening so my overall grade was down to 76%... May want to work on the listening :o
    Started making notes for complex numbers today, it's definitely not my favourite topic :mad: I did a Japanese essay too and I (very briefly) looked through Literary Genre notes for English, I was planning on making notes on the skeleton for Biology but it didn't happen, maybe tomorrow

83 in Spanish written part is really good ! I found the aural for examcraft tough too, it was like chinese!

Edrees98 wrote: »
    83 in Spanish written part is really good ! I found the aural for examcraft tough too, it was like chinese!

Thank you! Yeah the listening was woeful :rolleyes: hopefully we get something better in June!

I'm so angry why is the comparative even a thing why can't we just write about them separately why are the instructions so unclear what are we supposed to get out of this
    90% in Japanese, 90% in Biology, 84% in Irish but that's OL so I won't be counting it (hopefully anyway!)

No more mocks back yet
    We're doing literary genre in English and it's definitely my favourite mode of the three, maybe I'll put together notes for it this week or maybe not
    Finished and learned notes for the skeleton in biology
    In the process of doing notes for families of organic compounds in chemistry bleaughh
    Looked at Geibheann for Irish today also

72% in Chemistry, I am happy with that considering a lot of the class failed!!
    I am slowly but surely ploughing my way through notes for organic chemistry, I think I got the worst of it done today with the mechanisms for the monochlorination of methane/ethane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I'm so angry why is the comparative even a thing why can't we just write about them separately why are the instructions so unclear what are we supposed to get out of this
    90% in Japanese, 90% in Biology, 84% in Irish but that's OL so I won't be counting it (hopefully anyway!)

Japanese?! Wow! Do you do that outside school? Wish I picked up Japanese during TY two years ago.

Japanese?! Wow! Do you do that outside school? Wish I picked up Japanese during TY two years ago.

No luckily my school has a Japanese teacher, I think there's only about 4 or 5 schools in the whole country that teach it! It's a really handy subject, the syllabus is tiny (we finished the textbook at Christmas) and once you learn the alphabets you can pretty much do half of the exam already - I don't know why there isn't a bigger demand for it, the A rate is usually around 35%! Really glad I'm able to do it in school

• Advertisement

Got the last of the mock results back, 545 points in total which I'm very happy with as my number one course is around 510-520.
    I need to start working properly on English, I got a B3 in the mocks but I know I'm capable of an A1. My timing was atrocious which I should have foreseen in hindsight, I mean, I've done zero timed exam questions so I should probably start timing myself haha
    Nearly done with organic chemistry, will be glad to finally put it to rest

Got the last of the mock results back, 545 points in total which I'm very happy with as my number one course is around 510-520.
    I need to start working properly on English, I got a B3 in the mocks but I know I'm capable of an A1. My timing was atrocious which I should have foreseen in hindsight, I mean, I've done zero timed exam questions so I should probably start timing myself haha

How did the maths go?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Edrees98

Wow congrats! Fantastic results !!!

Edrees98 wrote: »
    Wow congrats! Fantastic results !!!

Thank you! Really happy with them

How did the maths go?

I got 62% which I'm delighted with, I was expecting to fail!!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Congrats on your results! They're amazing! Keep it up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

Was it just me or was english marked super hard?? I'm usually an A1 student but only achieved a B2 in the mocks and that was the highest in my class.Normally there are 3-4 A1 students amongst us... I haven't heard of anyone getting an A1 in english so far

koolis02 wrote: »
    Was it just me or was english marked super hard?? I'm usually an A1 student but only achieved a B2 in the mocks and that was the highest in my class.Normally there are 3-4 A1 students amongst us... I haven't heard of anyone getting an A1 in english so far

Yeah our year's highest was a B2 too, they really took marks off for anything they could think of! I guess it's better to have a hard marker than an easy marker for the mocks though, I'm hoping we'll be luckier with the examiners for the real thing :(

Oddly enough the highest in my year was also a B2 (me)! I'm usually a high C low B student so was fairly pleased.

• Advertisement

Today I did the scientific method, characteristics of life, food, ecology and viruses for Biology
    Officially on Easter holidays, a big shout-out to not only Jesus but also St Patrick for having your celebrations so close together this year that the holidays are merged

Advertisement