Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Star Trek TV show - Star Trek Discovery

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness, Enterprise didn't flop because it was set before TOS, it flopped because it was a terrible TV drama that took too long to correct its mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I blame the theme song. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mr E wrote: »
    I blame the theme song. :o
    It belonged on an ad for tampons, not star trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ScumLord wrote: »
    It belonged on an ad for tampons, not star trek.

to bloody go where no man has gone before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

pixelburp wrote: »
    In fairness, Enterprise didn't flop because it was set before TOS, it flopped because it was a terrible TV drama that took too long to correct its mistakes.

Some trekkies I spoke with at the time said they didn't feel any obligation to get invested in it, as it was crap and they felt no connection to it. In the main, they'd given Voyager a chance, despite its initial failings, because its setting was recognisable. And Avery Brooks's performances, among others, at the beginning of DS9 weren't exactly stellar, but it offered something different in a recognisable environment.

I think the value of the trekkie fan base can't be ignored and just throwing the name Star Trek on a TV show isn't enough (that's also how I feel about the latest movie).

Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

This really needs to hit the ground running - it won't have the luxury of 3 seasons to find its rhythm á la DS9 for example. I hope there's some over-arcing story line from the get-go, even if it's not advanced every single episode. As already said in the thread, fewer episodes per season should make it easier to leave out the banal filler episodes that plagued a lot of the early years for each show, so fingers crossed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Latest reports are that Discovery has been pushed back to May 2017 from the initial air date of January '17; probably for the best, given how it's September now and bar some (apparently temp) FX there has been no movement on this show in any regard. I was beginning to wonder if there would even be a casting announcement or something, anything to indicate the show was in active devleopment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I'm so sick of prequels for both films and TV shows, it's so restrictive. I want something post-Nemesis, damn it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

DubTony wrote: »
    I think the value of the trekkie fan base can't be ignored and just throwing the name Star Trek on a TV show isn't enough (that's also how I feel about the latest movie).

Fingers crossed.

They didn't even throw the name Star Trek on yo Enterprise until season 3!

Also, if you've put off watching Star Trek beyond because of the other two you really should give it a chance, it was very good. Of course, if you didn't like it then fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

They didn't even throw the name Star Trek on yo Enterprise until season 3!

When they brought Manny Coto on board after season 2 it got a lot better. He might have had something to do with the name change. Season 4 was by far the best. The silly temporal cold war was gone and some real Trek stuff was introduced. But moving it to Friday night killed whatever chance it had.
    BTW, anyone know where I can watch this? It's not on Netflix.

Before Her Time: Decommissioning Enterprise

Also, if you've put off watching Star Trek beyond because of the other two you really should give it a chance, it was very good. Of course, if you didn't like it then fair enough.

I saw Beyond a few weeks ago. I don't think Abrams is doing the franchise any justice at all. I had to keep reminding myself that it hadn't been produced/directed by Michael Bay. It was really just another "summer blockbuster".

Latest piece of not-exactly-good-news: Bryan Fuller is stepping down as showrunner:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/

Reads like Fuller had stretched himself way too thin, had delayed the production a little with his multiple projects, and is now stepping back to an Executive Producer role (always saw that as a bit of a token role really). These sort of management reshuffles happen all the time & on the face of it isn't ostensibly a disaster, but it just seems a little messy for a show already delayed, with no cast announcements, no details.

Ms

Latest piece of not-exactly-good-news: Bryan Fuller is stepping down as showrunner:

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-fuller-showrunner-star-trek-discovery-cbs-1201901398/

Reads like Fuller had stretched himself way too thin, had delayed the production a little with his multiple projects, and is now stepping back to an Executive Producer role (always saw that as a bit of a token role really). These sort of management reshuffles happen all the time & on the face of it isn't ostensibly a disaster, but it just seems a little messy for a show already delayed, with no cast announcements, no details.

Reports are that all bar the lead character have been cast.
    There is a little on it in the article below. Note the article below could possibly contain some spoilers on the type of characters that might be in the show and I am not responsible for any spoilers you may read in it. Of course they could all be wrong too. The only way we will know is when we see the show for the first time.

http://trekmovie.com/2016/10/26/breaking-bryan-fuller-stepping-down-as-showrunner-of-star-trek-discovery/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

When they brought Manny Coto on board after season 2 it got a lot better. He might have had something to do with the name change. Season 4 was by far the best. The silly temporal cold war was gone and some real Trek stuff was introduced. But moving it to Friday night killed whatever chance it had.
    BTW, anyone know where I can watch this? It's not on Netflix.

Before Her Time: Decommissioning Enterprise

I saw Beyond a few weeks ago. I don't think Abrams is doing the franchise any justice at all. I had to keep reminding myself that it hadn't been produced/directed by Michael Bay. It was really just another "summer blockbuster".

Abrams didn't direct Beyond. Realistically, with Star Wars going on more or less at the same time, I can't imagine he had much to do with producing it either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

For what its worth he had virtually nothing to do with Beyond. He didnt write it or direct it. And in my opinion the 09 reboot is the better movie of the three. Beyond didnt particularly wow me to be honest. I've watched it twice and found it all a little dull. The scene with the enterprising being torn apart is quite well done but apart from that......it fell flat. The climax is also really, really poor in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,884 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Characters will include a Klingon Captain, a female admiral, a male admiral, a male adviser and a British male doctor. We also know that the series is expected to include an openly gay male character.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek-discovery/news/a813166/star-trek-discoverys-cast-of-characters-revealed-a-klingon-captain-a-british-doctor-and-more/

Ms

Characters will include a Klingon Captain, a female admiral, a male admiral, a male adviser and a British male doctor. We also know that the series is expected to include an openly gay male character.

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/star-trek-discovery/news/a813166/star-trek-discoverys-cast-of-characters-revealed-a-klingon-captain-a-british-doctor-and-more/

There is a rumor now that there might actually be two crews. A Klingon crew and a Federation crew. That could make it interesting. Id say if it does happen a lot of people will be happy to have a Klingon crew to get a different perspective.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AMKC wrote: »
    There is a rumor now that there might actually be two crews. A Klingon crew and a Federation crew. That could make it interesting. Id say if it does happen a lot of people will be happy to have a Klingon crew to get a different perspective.

We had that a few times on DS9 episodes and it's pretty much "crew fights over honor, shoot rather than talk, and still a decidedly Federation slant in most of the above episodes".. it'd be a change yes, but I'm not sure what value it'd add at this point given the Klingon race/culture has been explored pretty extensively between TNG and DS9

That would be genuinely interesting; as famous and iconic as the Klingons are, much of their society makes no sense against the cliche of the honour-bound warriors throwing hostility everywhere. There has to have have been 'normal' Klingons not obsessed with starting a fight all the time; Klingon scientists, doctors, teachers, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

That would be genuinely interesting; as famous and iconic as the Klingons are, much of their society makes no sense against the cliche of the honour-bound warriors throwing hostility everywhere. There has to have have been 'normal' Klingons not obsessed with starting a fight all the time; Klingon scientists, doctors, teachers, etc.

K'Ehleyr was like that in The Next Generation she didn't have any interest in traditional klingon vales which angered Worf and she didn't pass klingon values to Alexander.

• Advertisement

The only other type of Klingon I remember seeing was a klingon solicitor. But yeah, they can't all be warriors. Although, if they were to be like Spartans, the spartans themselves were all warriors, and trained to do nothing but be warriors. Their slaves and second class citizens did all the boring stuff. So there is precedent in human history for a strictly warrior society. Klingons could have some similar class of citizen that would be seen as second class and would explain why outsiders don't see them to often. But you would expect to see them on ships doing grunt work in the background.

Over all it kind of struck me that Klingon warriors should be a bit more like samurai. For them to be any ways reserved would probably be self control on a level similar with Vulcans, although Vulcans were supposed to be extremely violent before weren't they?

They should all be more like Worf, he has a level of confidence that he doesn't feel the need to prove. Plus excellent one liners. Although, in reality we didn't get any real incites into Klingon lifestyles until the end of DS9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There were Klingon scientists on Enterprise.

Ms

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    We had that a few times on DS9 episodes and it's pretty much "crew fights over honor, shoot rather than talk, and still a decidedly Federation slant in most of the above episodes".. it'd be a change yes, but I'm not sure what value it'd add at this point given the Klingon race/culture has been explored pretty extensively between TNG and
    DS9

Yes we have had but that has been mostly when they were at war like in TNG the Klingon Civil War and then in DS9 when they go to invade Cardassia and fight DS9 in Way of the Warrior and also during the Dominion war. We have not really seen a Klingon crew like we have a Federation crew do like in peacetime what do they do? Do they they fly around space looking for fights do they invade planets do they carry out scientific missions.

Yes I think there has to be. Worf mentioned Klingon teachers when he was minding Alexander and thinking of sending him to a Klingon school.
    The only other type of Klingon I remember seeing was a klingon solicitor. But yeah, they can't all be warriors. Although, if they were to be like Spartans, the spartans themselves were all warriors, and trained to do nothing but be warriors. Their slaves and second class citizens did all the boring stuff. So there is precedent in human history for a strictly warrior society. Klingons could have some similar class of citizen that would be seen as second class and would explain why outsiders don't see them to often. But you would expect to see them on ships doing grunt work in the background.

Ye maybe they could do that they do have a lot of worlds that they concurred in there Empire so maybe they use them to do the menial jobs for them similar to how the Dominion done it.

Over all it kind of struck me that Klingon warriors should be a bit more like samurai. For them to be any ways reserved would probably be self control on a level similar with Vulcans, although Vulcans were supposed to be extremely violent before weren't they?

Yes they were they launched nukes and destroyed there world.

They should all be more like Worf, he has a level of confidence that he doesn't feel the need to prove. Plus excellent one liners. Although, in reality we didn't get any real incites into Klingon lifestyles until the end of DS9.

I think we got plenty of incites into Klingon lifestyles in both TNG and DS9 just not really much on a fully klingon crew and how they operate all the time and outside of wartime.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Michelle Yeoh has been added to the cast.

Doug Jones, Michelle Yeoh and Anthony Rapp have been announced as the first three actors cast for Star Trek: Discovery.
    Jones will play Lt. Saru, a Starfleet science officer and an alien species new to the Star Trek universe. He is a respected actor with a large following of sci-fi and horror fans as a result of his creature performances in the likes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Hellboy, Legion, Pan’s Labyrinth and The Strain.

Yeoh is set to play Captain Georgiou, the Starfleet captain aboard the starship Shenzhou. She is an internationally known actress and action star whose many credits include Tomorrow Never Dies and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Rapp will beam aboard as Lt. Stamets, an astromycologist, fungus expert and Starfleet science officer on the starship Discovery. He is best known for his stage work in such Broadway productions as Rent, You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown and If/Then, and also counts among his films credits School Ties, A Beautiful Mind and Rent.

Star Trek: Discovery is coming to CBS All Access in May 2017, following the premiere on the CBS Television Network, and will be distributed concurrently on Netflix in 188 countries and through Bell Media in Canada.

http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-discovery-beams-up-three-cast-members

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Chris Obi, Shazad Latif and Mary Chieffo are locked and loaded to play Klingons on Star Trek: Discovery.
    Obi will play T'Kuvma, the Klingon leader seeking to unite the Klingon houses. His credits include State of Play, Doctor Who, Snow White and the Huntsman, and the recent Roots reboot, as well as the upcoming series American Gods and film Ghost in the Shell.

Latif is set to portray Kol, commanding officer of the Klingons and protégé of T’Kuvma. Latif has appeared in such films and television series as MI-5, Black Mirror, The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel and Penny Dreadful. Among his upcoming projects are Still Star-Crossed and The Commuter.

Chieffo rounds out the latest wave of additions with her role as L'Rell, the battle deck commander of the Klingon ship. The actress’s credits include a 2015 stage production of Othello, and film and television roles in Natural Disasters, Girls!, Girls!, Girls! and Miss Dial, as well as Shelby’s Vacation, which will be released in 2017.

Obi, Latif and Chieffo join previously announced cast members Michelle Yeoh, Doug Jones and Anthony Rapp. Star Trek: Discovery is coming to CBS All Access in May 2017, following the premiere on the CBS Television Network, and will be distributed concurrently on Netflix in 188 countries and through Bell Media in Canada.

http://www.startrek.com/article/qapla-discovery-introduces-the-klingons

Ms

So a date has been set for the shooting to begin on Star Trek Discovery and it goes all the way to September. I wonder does this mean they will be shooting series 1 and 2 simultaneously.

http://www.thefederationtimes.com/shooting-date-set-for-star-trek-discovery/

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

That is weird, because either they're still committed to releasing in May, or else the show is being postponed again. And if that's true, CBS really do seem to be doing their level best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Then I read about the overly constrictive rules fan films must now apparently adhere by, or how the 'Axanar' short film was shut down by CBS' zealous protection of the IP, & I just wonder if they even give a sh*t about this franchise anymore.

• Advertisement
    Ms

That is weird, because either they're still committed to releasing in May, or else the show is being postponed again. And if that's true, CBS really do seem to be doing their level best to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Then I read about the overly constrictive rules fan films must now apparently adhere by, or how the 'Axanar' short film was shut down by CBS' zealous protection of the IP, & I just wonder if they even give a sh*t about this franchise anymore.

That is weird, because either they're still committed to releasing in May, or else the show is being postponed. Really hope its not being postponed again.

Don,t think its weird at all. They Bryan Fullar I think it was has said they had the first few stories maybe even the first season of stories all wrote and were just getting the actors as well everything ready to shoot doing post production I suppose. They probably have all the 2nd seasons stories all wrote by now as well it would not surprise me. It would make perfect sense if they could shoot all the scenes say that are going to be based on Discovery or on the Klingon ship for season 1 and 2 all in one go would keep the budget down maybe or maybe they will just shoot all season 1 first and then immediately start on 2 save them having to dismantle and then set up all the set again.

Anyone else got any thoughts on why its got such a long shooting schedule?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I think a big problem with Axanar was down to them making money off the source material of the IP and not just using it.

Venom wrote: »
    I think a big problem with Axanar was down to them making money off the source material of the IP and not just using it.

I had heard it was down to the paid help they used for some of the FX or whatever, but it's a while since I had read about the kerfuffle so wouldn't consider myself up to speed. I believe a number of fan productions have also had to cease production, as Paramount released a fairly severe set of Rules / Guides these films now have to follow to avoid a Cease & Desist.

Companies have a right to defend their IP n' all, but compared with other major franchises, Trek seems to suffer a particularly aggressive for of this, coupled with a broad apathy towards the franchise anyway. That they let the 50th anniversary slip by without any real celebration was pretty cackhanded.

So a date has been set for the shooting to begin on Star Trek Discovery and it goes all the way to September. I wonder does this mean they will be shooting series 1 and 2 simultaneously.
    What do ya mean begin?!! I thought they were half done by now. :mad:

Ms

What do ya mean begin?!! I thought they were half done by now. :mad:

Nope all the sets are being set up so all the live acting can be done. Am sure the might have lots of pre production done and lots of stories for episodes wrote maybe even the CGI all sorted and ready to go as well as all the wardrope and make-up stuff ready to go.
    The first episode is not out till May anyway so plenty of time for them to get episodes done and ready to go onto Neflix.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Welp, you may all forget tuning in during May, it had been pushed back. AGAIN.

In other news, James Grain has been cast as Sarek, Spocks father. Was hoping the new show would at least try to move away from preexisting grohnd, but there you are.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/01/18/star-trek-discovery-spock-premiere-date/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

The release of this series has been a real mess they should have had the first episode air on the anniversary last year not a few months after it and now it's an extra another few months later .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The longer it's delayed the less positive I feel (which wasn't exactly a lot to start with). This has the feel of a show with no direction and run by committee that's trying to satisfy everything/everyone at the same time, rather than getting a few decent episodes out there and building/adjusting based on the reactions.

I have this sneaking suspicion the Sarek casting is the thin end of the wedge here, and we might yet see more cameos / callbacks to the older eras. It's not like Trek could resist that in times past, and if CBS start getting panicky they may yet retool the show to involve George Kirk or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

While I for one would love to see new Trek as soon as possible, it's better that they take their time and do this right. We've already waited over a decade and a half for a new TV series, what's a few more months? :)

CBS maybe should have let Netflix make it instead of themselves.

• Advertisement
    Ms

Just thought Id post this here too. Its a preview of what the theme song for Discovery could be like.

Just incase for anyone who may not have seen and heard it in the other Star Trek Discovery thread.

http://redshirtsalwaysdie.com/2017/01/20/possible-star-trek-discovery-theme-released/

What are your thoughts? I like it until about 20 seconds in when it seems to fall flat.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I dunno. It's grand for an opening theme.

Ms

Slydice wrote: »
    I dunno. It's grand for an opening theme.

It still has to be finished and refined and that is only a short part of it but it still is on idea of what it could be like and gives us a taster of it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Yeah, it seems fine. I'm not really relying on the opening music to define the TV show.

I think I'll be looking at it and whatever they put on the screen with it as an introduction to the ship/station they'll be on.

Ms

So this started shooting today. Maybe someone here is on Twitter and can post a tweet from Doug Jones he has it up about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

So this started shooting today. Maybe someone here is on Twitter and can post a tweet from Doug Jones he has it up about it.

https://twitter.com/actordougjones/status/823958342389403648

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

This video is not available.

Ms

I like the new trailer. It gives lots of little hints at what we can expect. We get to see the blueprints for another ship, some uniforms, blueprints for Discovery, some alien uniforms and sets being built. It also looks like the bussard collectors on the nacelles of the Discovery have been changed from 3 small round ones on each nacelle to just one on each nacelle just like the Original Series Enterprise. Have to say I can,t wait to see it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement